Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2016

Stromboli1

A victory 58 years in the making for Wales and the perfect start for them. I don't know if I could see them setting the tournament alight in the later stages, but they should qualify from the group quite comfortably, which in itself would be a fantastic achievement. I think we start Thursday's game as second favourites now.

7 hours ago, Michael* said:

That would be another strange one. In general I quite like Fellaini, but he seems to disrupt Belgium's play more often than not, even in games where he chips in with a goal or two. Do you think Carrasco will get a chance? He's really shown his talent for Atletico as of late, although I'm not sure if I'd consider him a reliable 90-minute performer just yet.

I think he should start a front four of Carrasco-Hazard-De Bruyne with Origi as the nominal CF, but give all of them license to switch positions.

Then you have four guys who can all beat their man one-on-one. Let the opposing defense choose their poison in who they don't double up on.

Jesus, UEFA is incompetent. 

That is genuinely all I have to say about this tournament so far.

That, and I've put my money (er, just a tenner, don't worry about my finances) on Wales shocking everyone and making it to the final. I like a bit of danger.

I've got no hope in my country to win and Scotland's not in it so Wales I'm rooting for it is :angel:

If they don't cock it up, I think the winner's either going to be France or Germany.

I already made my unlikely, ridiculous bet, so I'll go with the crowd on this one :p 

On 12/06/2016 at 9:14 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

I think he should start a front four of Carrasco-Hazard-De Bruyne with Origi as the nominal CF, but give all of them license to switch positions.

Then you have four guys who can all beat their man one-on-one. Let the opposing defense choose their poison in who they don't double up on.

I like it. If you can get Dembele pulling the strings in midfield, every opponent will be in trouble. Add Fellaini or Witsel and allow Hazard, De Bruyne and/or Carrasco enough freedom to choose their moments to drift.

I'm always a bit torn on Hazard though, if I'm honest. Having witnessed first hand when he single-handedly ripped our back four to shreds, there's no doubt that he's extremely talented, but he can also be quite flaky. Still, aside from a slightly uneven defence, this is a very able squad. Wilmots has no excuses.

7 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

I've put my money (er, just a tenner, don't worry about my finances) on Wales shocking everyone and making it to the final. I like a bit of danger.

I've a frivolous fiver on Belgium to win it all and another one on Giroud to top score. My past success rate isn't too bad, although I only ever gamble when there's a major international tournament going on. :angel:

A weird microcosm of the British media's attitude towards Mesut Ozil last night. The commentators spent the full 90 minutes either running him down or damning him with faint praise, despite him actually playing really well. Late on, his awareness to make a diagonal run and then with a quick glance up, provide Schweinsteiger with a goal on a silver platter, was a touch of absolute class and yet his involvement went virtually unheralded in the moment. Even Schweinsteiger himself seemed willing to celebrate with anyone and everyone, apart from the man who'd just assisted him. :idk:

:laugh:

Should be fascinating to see how Spain get on later today. Despite Del Bosque's apparent struggle to work out what it is that he actually wants from his new wave of players, this is still a squad packing immense strength in depth. For a nation who've made this tournament their own so often in recent years to be so widely unfancied now feels a bit off.

How sad that the Czech Republic seem to have so little going for them these days. I can't be the only one who remembers how brilliant they were at Euro 2004. Such a thrilling attacking force, probably my favourite team of that decade. :yes: