Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2016

Stromboli1

Happy with the result, but the football before half-time was still quite poor.

We countered well on two occasions and had a nicely built-up goal for the 2-0.

Still, I would like to see this team put together something close to a proper, 90-minute performance.

At the same time, I can appreciate how difficult it can be to break down a team that plays in two banks of four for most of the game, like the Irish did.

It's not that surprising what Hajduk Split fans did. I can't talk about other parts of Europe, but like RafSecret said, that's pretty much the situation in the Balkans. After the Romania-Switzerland match, Romanian fans fought each other in Paris. Apparently they were fans of Dinamo and Steaua, two rival teams from Bucharest. It's sad though that fans can't come together and support their national team in such a big moment. At least Russia and England fans weren't fighting their own kind.

After seeing all the teams twice, I liked Spain and Croatia the most. I hope they make it far, the football they play is very pleasant to watch.

I did some reading and apparently it's both Dinamo's Bad Blue Boys and Split's Torcida groups, usually bitter rivals but coming together to bring attention to the corruption. I heard whispers about some nasty, nasty, illegal-looking contracts for former Zagreb players under Mamic... horrible situation all around, if there is corruption it should be exposed but lives should not be put at risk. And the flares should serve as warning to the French, both that ID checks should be instated and security should be increased. They smuggled in flares, God knows what someone seriously determined could do. A warning to all. As much as I love the Euros, a bit glad I'm not there.

Ah, sad over our loss :sad: but not surprised. It's best to go into these things expecting nothing :p At least we're earning some love and respect along the way and making the English look bad. Italy should be a fun game, even if it hurts! Putting all my dreams in Wales now, haha. 

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Ronaldo scored a hat-trick in the next game, but for the time being, he'll have to make do with a crap-trick (hitting the woodwork, missing a penalty and having a goal ruled out for offside) instead. :rofl:

Portugal as a team have been suffering from being basically set up as Team Ronaldo for a while now, often to the point where their forward play is disrupted because they try too hard to feed him the ball.

France and Switzerland safely through, then. I suspect that the manufacturers of Switzerland's kit would have had more questions to answer than either manager after the game. :rofl:

I was willing Payet's volley to go flying in though, what a special goal that would have been. :no:

Well played Albania, who must be in with a decent chance of making the knockouts now. Their goal difference isn't the greatest, so they'll need other results to go for them, but all look possible. If Sweden and Ireland fail to beat Belgium and Italy, and then either Czech Republic and Turkey draw, or Germany beat Northern Ireland, it'll be enough for them.

29 minutes ago, jj3 said:

Croatia is impressive, but that's not surprising actually ! It's been awhile they are playing a good football, but this time, like in '98, it smell very good for them !

Was Croatia the better team tonight? I only saw a few minutes of it. I was watching Turkey - Czech Republic mostly, because it was a decider.

Just now, Syria said:

Was Croatia the better team tonight? I only saw a few minutes of it. I was watching Turkey - Czech Republic mostly, because it was a decider.

Oh yes ! And they played with their team B ! How impressive then ! 

^ Yeah that's something. 

Turkey played so much better tonight, it was such an improvement from the previous 2 games. I was really hoping for Albania to squeeze herself in the last 16 but it seems unlikely now.

That table is really starting to take shape, but it's looking very lopsided all of a sudden. More than half the pre-tournament favourites are going to end up knocking each other out now, with either Belgium or Croatia to surely reach the final from the other side of the draw. England's latest 'not quite' night against Slovakia has put us on a much harder road, and one that will probably see us bow out in the quarters at the latest. Not that I expected anything else, mind. :closedeyes:

Good to see Croatia through to the next round though, they were impressive in all three of their group games. Subasic was so far off his line for the penalty that I thought he was going to jump into my living room, but after the referee's appalling decision to award it in the first place, I honestly wouldn't have been that bothered if he'd run all the way out and karate chopped Sergio Ramos where he stood. :ninja:

As for Spain, well I guess having already achieved qualification, they could be forgiven for going through the motions a bit, but they'll have to improve if they're going to do anything against Italy.