Bellazon

Doutzen Kroes
Thumbnail

azkid

The cool thing about science is that it doesn't matter how "stupid" any given scientist is. They have to submit their work for peer review, and then it has to get replicated by other scientists; some of whom may also be stupid, but not all of them. Cranks and incompetents tend not to last too long in the mainstream of their fields - as much out of embarrassment from being proven wrong all the time as anything else. I suppose you can place all your hopes in iconoclasts, imagining that one day they'll be vindicated. Good luck with your subsequent confirmation bias though.

As far as "finding the truth on your own" goes, one's success in that varies wildly based on training and experience. Education isn't intelligence, wisdom, or necessarily knowledge. What it is, is training: development of tools for evaluating evidence. As a trained historian, I'm really good at spotting when those "I Love History" listicle sites are full of shit, because that's what I have the tools for. But I can also Google routine symptoms on WebMD and convince myself I have lupus. Most people, including myself, are like the latter about most things; there's no good reason to believe Doutzen is exempt from this fate.

A lot of so-called 'experts' are completely wrong and intellectually corrupt (in many fields- from military, public service, history to science- both soft and hard).  Many times they write biased and exaggerated papers and public talks merely to promote their institutional agendas.  By doing so the institutions they represent or their careers get a nice boost in publicity.  In the end, motivated by simple human greed and self-aggrandizement.

Certainly with COVID-19 there was some over-stating of the issue but it doesn't mean that they were 100% wrong.  

The rubber has to meet the road at some point. I embarked on quite a few projects intending to prove this or that based on my own biases, but the evidence says what it says, and only a few experts are big and protected enough to get away with publishing bullshit. Generally, biases motivate questions more than answers, because bad or wrong answers make experts vulnerable to other experts poking holes in their work - something which also gives the latter nice boosts in publicity, institutional prestige, etc. People don't want to expose themselves like that by making shit up. 

Non-academics - that's the sort of experts we're talking about here, right - don't get how cutthroat academics are to each other. It's not a drum circle. Going after people in our field we think are wrong (especially if we think they're corrupt or lying) is like merging onto the publicity highway. We'd love to step over the corpse of some fraud's career on the way to taking their jobs and grant money. Most of the time we're picking fights over stakes that'd be incomprehensibly obscure and trivial to lay people, though, which is less fun. 

TLDR: All this is to say that if lots of scientists disagree with Doutzen, it's only after years or decades of strenuous and sometimes bitter disagreement with each other. But I guess she's read a few websites. 

4 hours ago, radolgc said:

Lol, what an ignorant opinion. Education is not a barometer for intellifence, wisdom or knowledge. Sience almost does not exist anymore and scientists are some of the most stupid people in the world. Wanting whatever opinion from another person is wrong. Finding the truth on your own is the only way. Big models are business women and they do need a lot of wisdom to keep a long career. Just because you are pretty and did not waste your time for education does not mean you can not be an expert in any science. I am amazed by most opinions being expressed here.  

Thanks for setting me straight.  Next time I need an airplane designed, or a new computer created, I'll bypass the scientists and go look for a model who dropped out of school at sixteen.  What could possibly go wrong?

If you want to know something about a specialized topic, you go to an expert on that topic, not some  model however beautiful she might be.  As far as we know, she has one skill that is capable of earning her our attention and that is modelling.  If I had a question about an aspect of modelling, I would consider her an experienced expert and her opinion would count for a lot  So to expect her to be in an expert on subject matters beyond modelling is ridiculous.  She is, however, entitled to her opinion on any subject.  However, she, like everyone else, is open to scrutiny for her opinion, especially if it is on a topic for which she is NOT a subject matter expert.  And, I think that is what she is experiencing currently; a bit of a backlash and perhaps some cancelling due to her willingness to opine on things she knows very little about.  Surely, this is normal and maybe reflects a little naivete on her part if she is surprised about it, or perhaps some arrogance and lack of wisdom if she doesn't care how she appears.  Wisdom would tell her to, "stay in her lane!"

What a mess this thread has become...

I don't think Doutzen is cancelled, she just DOESN'T WANT TO WORK, which is super sad... Even with all the craziness, she is still loved by some models and people in the business, Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Caroline Trentini, Amber Valletta, Carolyn Murphy, Mariacarla Boscono, Alek Wek always leave comments on her photos, by the way Karolina Kurkova posted a photo with her, Garren, Fulvia Farolfi, Mario Sorrenti also always show love for her... The problem for me is her hypocrisy, but I won't go into detail, because it will lead nowhere.

Unfortunately I already gave up on her, but if she decides to come back (I hope this miracle happens and soon), I'll be here!

1 hour ago, Mille Backer said:

What a mess this thread has become...

I don't think Doutzen is cancelled, she just DOESN'T WANT TO WORK, which is super sad... Even with all the craziness, she is still loved by some models and people in the business, Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Caroline Trentini, Amber Valletta, Carolyn Murphy, Mariacarla Boscono, Alek Wek always leave comments on her photos, by the way Karolina Kurkova posted a photo with her, Garren, Fulvia Farolfi, Mario Sorrenti also always show love for her... The problem for me is her hypocrisy, but I won't go into detail, because it will lead nowhere.

Unfortunately I already gave up on her, but if she decides to come back (I hope this miracle happens and soon), I'll be here!

This. Precisely. Added: Candice Swanepoel and Joan Smalls continue to comment and post. 

She's still available to book at DNAmodels. But casting directors, Designers, Editor in Chiefs don't book her. 

Except in 2022 walking for Alaïa because of Pieter Mulier/they are still friends.

Walking the Alaïa show she showed the industry that she's still available.

Few weeks before that show she said she stopped working as model and might not come back.

After walking that show Doutzen said maybe I can become a gardner/model...do both. She said that AFTER walking that show.

But other people just arent interested booking her (perhaps her demands/afraid of negativity/lack of interest).

I hope that she gets a reality check and come back to the real world instead of living her life in that small bubble. She can't change the world the way she wants it to be.

Even Kanye West is back, after months of being openly anti-Semitic, even praising Hitler. Obviously Doutzen could come back whenever she wants, no one talks about her anymore, hers is a controversy that has been completely forgotten and no longer has any importance. She just has to have the desire and the will to get back into the industry and that's the problem. Doutzen doesn't have the need to do it, nor the desire. I hope she comes back, as a fan I want her to come back, but I respect and understand her decision, she has her life sorted out, I understand that she wants to be with her children every day while they are still so young instead of having so many trips for work.

I just watched Shownieuws few minutes ago on Dutch television. They talked about the Victoria's Secret Icon collection with models Gisele, Naomi, Candice. They also called Doutzen's manager and asked why Doutzen is not present in this VS campaign with other former VS Angels.

Her manager told Shownieuws: Doutzen is still having a sabbatical right now.

The people at Shownieuws wondered why Doutzen is still having a sabbatical right now while she walked the Alaïa show in 2022. 

20230810_233114.thumb.jpg.7de31afde55329d5522d0afb0d521a05.jpg

-------------------

I think it's just a matter of time before she's coming back to be honest. 

When she is ready and/if people in the industry (casting directors, etc.) are ready.