Bellazon

Game of Thrones

wickedcrazyness

speculation:

Spoiler

Jaime will kill Cersei and both will die in their arms

legit sad to see X and X die

Spoiler

Theon, Jorah die.  Particularly Theon as he was one of my favorite characters in the show.  Jorah the friendzone could simply catch no luck and he deserved better.  Beric died in a badass way, so in a way it was a noble one.  Melissandra's death is quite suitable and i've seen that motif used elsewhere.

Now there will be

Spoiler

Cleganebowl..

i don't know if the 

Spoiler

Night King is truly dead.  It seems too quick .

1 hour ago, elfstone said:

Epic episode as was expected but the overall plot is just so underwhelming :/ 

I've felt like the last season and this one has lost its way (like the Vikings show has) a bit but overall I haven't had as much fun with any episode over the past 2 seasons as this one.

For me I've lost some emotional investment in the characters as the quality of the character arcs/writing went down.  In a way I choose my memories to focus on so if one thinks of the good (defining moments of prior seasons) and cut out the in-congruent dialogue/character events then one should be able to enjoy it more.  

The insane amount of hype and obsessive fan speculation (I feel bad for some, like all those youtube channels and the reddit and all those people driven half-mad with fan fiction and theories about the plot) brings a hard standard to live up to.

I recall this bit from a book I was reading on Greek Tragedy (especially one key character death in particular)  :

Things are as they are, unrelenting and absurd. We are punished far in excess of our guilt.

It is a terrible, stark insight into human life. Yet in the very excess of his suffering lies man’s claim to dignity. Powerless and broken, a blind beggar hounded out of the city, he assumes a new grandeur. Man is ennobled by the vengeful spite or injustice of the gods. It does not make him innocent, but it hallows him as if he had passed through flame. Hence there is in the final moments of great tragedy, whether Greek or Shakespearean or neoclassic, a fusion of grief and joy, of lament over the fall of man and of rejoicing in the resurrection of his spirit. No other poetic form achieves this mysterious effect"

@gotportugal  you got your moment with

Spoiler

Arya & Melisandra

I quite liked the episode, I think doing it so dark was a good idea IMO, it made me feel like I was in the battle as well, I was as frustrated and confused as the characters. And tbh

Spoiler

IM SO HAPPY THE KNIGHT KING IS DEAD. We can now go back to the a lot more interesting political plots and less of the zombies.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

any deaths hit you hard?

50 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

yes

I moved my answer here:

Spoiler

The two Mormont deaths were both sad but good deaths to me. Jorah died doing exactly what he would want to die doing, defending Dany. Lyanna's death was sad but she took out a wight giant alone, which was amazing.

Theon dying while defending Bran was interesting too considering what he did to Bran and Winterfell.

It may sound strange, but regarding deaths, at the end of the episode, my first thought was that not many main characters died. It was mainly secondary characters.

Arya killing The Night King was perfect for me. The only downside to her killing him is that she probably won't be given the chance to kill Cersei, too.

pou_7153.png

Spoiler

on further reflection, Theon and Jorah represent to me a more "realistic" archetype of character that I have seen much of in real life.  The third one on the wheel is Jaime.  If Jon or Dany were killed I don't think I would care at all because their characters have been buttressed with so much plot armor/mary sue elements as to be completely unrelatable.  

Theon and Jorah are both tragic individuals.  Theon is the archetype of a young , ambitious man, representative of countless billions of youths who bravely try to live up to their family, ideals, and honor only to be smashed down for years/decades due to spiritual confusion/ignorance/naivete' and a mismatch of talent, circumstances, and personal character. (you can see how even at the end Theon wrestles with his anxiety and fear yet he still does his duty).  Theon's actions at Winterfell in the early seasons was very sad and misguided but his intentions were pure/noble.

Jorah is also a sad man for reasons that are less nuanced.  Jorah was enslaved to his love, honor, and his need for personal redemption.  Dany doesn't deserve him and never did .  Basically Jorah was emotionally inept.  If he truly understood the source of his feelings he would have changed his behavior by forgiving himself and letting go of his obsession with Dany.