Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

I'm very bad with accent subtleties from other languages.

I guess I'm the same way. I can usually tell a Cajun from another southerner, and a person from Alabama from a Georgian, but that's about it. But hey, that's in America. I have the Californian accent. I didn't know Californians had accents, until I saw a special on 20/20. It said we tend to put emphasis to the "O's" like when we say "to" or "go". I guess our slang gives us away as well. For example, I say "dude" A LOT!!! Plus, it's more of a Southern Californian thing. The Northern Californians have their own slang. They tend to say "hella" A LOT!!!

"You know" annoys me a lot. And like annoys me if it's used as a filler rather than an accentuation. Knowmsayin?? "Like, I went to the store yesterday" vs. "It was basically like, the rudest thing I'd ever heard"

The latter never irritates me.

"Um" is damned annoying!

• 1 month later...

I've watched a couple of SI Dvds and noticed that the Eastern European models have less of an accent than the Brazilians. I think Ana and Adriana have heavier accents than say Karolina and some of the other girls. Wonder why that is? <googles the language families>

Watching American Idol reminds me of accents THAT I HATE!!! :pinch: That Brenna bitch one had one of that ANNOYING NEW YORK ACCENTS, AND THE ATTITUDE TO GO WIT IT!!! :angry: When she got voted off, I was like :thumbsup: :hell yea!: :dance: :clap: That girl Kelly Pickler has an accent that irks me as well. I HATE southern accents, AND SHE SOUNDS LIKE DOLLY PARTON!!! <_<

Edited by k_dub

• 2 weeks later...
yeah.. i'm not into heavy American accents... or Canadian for that matter... in fact imo they are icky

So, does that mean that you don't like the way you sound, or the way people around you sound? Remember, we all have accents, but we don't hear our own accents, or the accents of people around us, mostly because people from that certain area talk the same way.