Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

hey Jimmy that page is just awesome ! thanks you ! it's really interesting, i had NO idea such a dialect existed !

I'm trying to find some mp3s of the accent in speech but all i'm finding is cajun music. There are movies that have cajun"ish" attempts like Happy Gilmore but they are poor attemps at the dialect. The real Cajuns can't be understood by us English only people...lol

Do the people here who think all British accents sound stuck up believe all Brits sound like John Cleese because they've never been to Britain him/herself and their entire perception of the country is based upon some ancient TV show? Seriously, the majority of people here sound far from stuck up; quite the opposite, actually!

Has anybody here realised that American TV shows are influencing Europeans so much that when they speak in English they often sound American? I met my boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend a while ago. She is Dutch and her boyfriend is German and they both sound American when they are speaking in English.

Do the people here who think all British accents sound stuck up believe all Brits sound like John Cleese because they've never been to Britain him/herself and their entire perception of the country is based upon some ancient TV show? Seriously, the majority of people here sound far from stuck up; quite the opposite, actually!

defo in agreement . . . (Y)

loads of English people I know have been mistaken for Australians when they've gone to the US :rofl:

Has anybody here realised that American TV shows are influencing Europeans so much that when they speak in English they often sound American? I met my boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend a while ago. She is Dutch and her boyfriend is German and they both sound American when they are speaking in English.

I, for one, think that the Brits sound arrogant and snooty. I've seen many movies where people have British accents, and I'm familiar with rap music from that country. Slick Rick is a legendary rapper in the U.S., and I do listen to The Streets. Go figure. I also listen to the Gorillaz, and I heard that song "November Has Come" featuring MF Doom. I can't really detect MF Doom's accent, and for some reason Slick Rick, The Streets, and Damon Alburn's accents' don't annoy me. Like I said, go figure.

They sound American? American how? Here in America, there are many accents. What shows do they watch?

The USA South (black) is a fairly good representation of one lady speaking very purposefully. I can tell she is trying to be understood so she is not letting her accent be too strong, but it's definitely still there. Anyone else concer?

I concurr with that, Jimmy. Every now and then, you will hear actors' slip up as well. Perfect example is when Ving Rhames played Don King. Ving Rhames had to learn how to speak with a Cleveland accent for the part. People in Cleveland usually are a little more high-pitched than others, but in one scene, Ving Rhames slips and talks in his usually deep voice.

Edited by k_dub

I, for one, think that the Brits sound arrogant and snooty. I've seen many movies where people have British accents, and I'm familiar with rap music from that country. Slick Rick is a legendary rapper in the U.S., and I do listen to The Streets. Go figure. I also listen to the Gorillaz, and I heard that song "November Has Come" featuring MF Doom. I can't really detect MF Doom's accent, and for some reason Slick Rick, The Streets, and Damon Alburn's accents' don't annoy me. Like I said, go figure.

They sound American? American how? Here in America, there are many accents. What shows do they watch?

exactly because one has only heard British accents in the movies one does not receive the full plethora of British accents and one does not hear the more 'normal' and common British accent. if one relies solely upon the movies then one will probably think that all Brits sound like Hugh Grant :cain:

i've been to London twice and i love the british accent. Really classy and sexy imo. However, I think the reason why most foreigners speak with an american accent is because it's:

1) way easier to speak with it than with the british accent

2) way easier to understand it than the british accent

you british ppl speak really fast and "swallow" some syllables whereas american ppl spend more time on each syllable when they utter a word.

i've been to London twice and i love the british accent. Really classy and sexy imo. However, I think the reason why most foreigners speak with an american accent is because it's:

1) way easier to speak with it than with the british accent

2) way easier to understand it than the british accent

you british ppl speak really fast and "swallow" some syllables whereas american ppl spend more time on each syllable when they utter a word.

Some people like the accent, some people hate it, but it might make sense for them to know what they're talking about before they form an opinion on it! If the people had actually been to Britain at least once, then I wouldn't have a problem.

I suppose it is a lot easier to use an American accent than a British one, but I have noticed Americans do the same thing with syllables only with a different sound. I'm not sure if that even makes sense, but I have heard it a lot when talking to American friends. They do the same thing with the letter "t", for example (but it sounds different) and you can't really hear it that strongly, but people who are fluent in the language and used to the accent can tell it is missing. Though I guess most people would be more familiar with American accents because lots of American TV shows, movies, songs and so on are shown all over the world.

I also think that to some people the British accent sounds stuck up because in American TV shows, the stuck up people are often made British. A lot of rich, posh, snooty bad guys in American movies and games are given posh British accents and I guess the clich