Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

Madonna's fake english accent Annoys Me.

English accents annoy me, PERIOD!!! :yuckky: :pinch:

Madonna doesn't have an English accent :cain:

you do realise that there is not one discrete english accent and that there are many. :idk: many of which you may not have been exposed to :whistle:

:

you do realise that there is not one discrete english accent and that there are many. :idk: many of which you may not have been exposed to :whistle:

Hmm, what English accents have I heard? Hugh Grant, Ricky Hatton, that Indian chick from Bend It like Beckham, the Spice Girls, Ravi Kapoor and Steve Valentine from Crossing Jordan, Elisabeth Hurley, Naomi Campbell, Rowan Atkinson, George Michael, Damon Alburn, The Streets, Minnie Driver, The Rolling Stones, Prince Naseem Hamed, the Osbornes, and the ones that are on the website that Jimmy Changa posted. How's that for EXPOSURE?! :p With the exception of The Streets and Damon Alburn, English accents annoy me, PERIOD!!! :yuckky: :pinch: Even the fake one that Don Cheadle had in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve got on my nerves.

As far as Madonna goes, ya might wanna direct that to AnaBB Cover, Barry. She was the one who mentioned it. :yes:

:

Hmm, what English accents have I heard? Hugh Grant, Ricky Hatton, that Indian chick from Bend It like Beckham, the Spice Girls, Ravi Kapoor and Steve Valentine from Crossing Jordan, Elisabeth Hurley, Naomi Campbell, Rowan Atkinson, George Michael, Damon Alburn, The Streets, Minnie Driver, The Rolling Stones, Prince Naseem Hamed, and the ones that are on the website that Jimmy Changa posted. ;) With the exception of The Streets and Damon Alburn, English accents annoy me, PERIOD!!! :yuckky: :pinch: Even the fake one that Don Cheadle had in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve got on my nerves.

As far as Madonna goes, ya might wanna direct that to AnaBB Cover, Barry. She was the one who mentioned it. :yes:

they are famous Brits. they are not representative of the nation as whole. you have no Geordies and no proper Brummies or Cornish style yokels :ninja: and no Dell-boy style Cockney accent or Scousers :(

i'm not having a go . . . i'm just saying that saying that you hate all english accents is maybe a bit of a frivolous remark :idk: . . . of course you may have heard every dialect and be a linguistic expert so who am i to talk about accents . . .

also, i was just reiterating about Madonna's accent . . .

How's that for EXPOSURE?! :p

they're not real regular people . . . and that is a straw poll of less than 25 people . . . there are probably at least 25 different dialects in the UK :whistle:

i'm not offended or anything by your dislike of english accents i just wish to point out that there are many dialects and that it may be a bit brash to say that you hate them all :idk:

they're not real regular people . . . and that is a straw poll of less than 25 people . . . there are probably at least 25 different dialects in the UK :whistle:

i'm not offended or anything by your dislike of english accents i just wish to point out that there are many dialects and that it may be a bit brash to say that you hate them all :idk:

What I say maybe harsh, but I heard the Cockney, Birmingham, Oxford, east Anglia and North of England accents on the website that website that Jimmy Changa posted. They all pretty much sound THE SAME TO ME!!! There may well be 25 different dialects in the UK, but hey, I doubt I would know a Manchesterian from a person from Sheffield. I'm guessin' the majority of Americans wouldn't know either. As you well pointed out before in a previous post, you know some English people who have been mistaken for Australians in the U.S. Even your fellow UK'er Sheyda stated that her boyfriend's sister and the boyfriend of the sister talk American. When I asked her American how, she didn't respond. Chances are that all Americans might sound the same to her, and maybe you think the same way. Tell me, do you think you could tell the difference from a person who was from L.A. and another person who was from, say, Chicago? I doubt you would.

i agree on the fact that for a foreigner (eventhough english is their mother tongue) all american accents just sound "american" and all english accents just sound "english". Maybe the only difference we can hear is due to the voice of the ppl speaking.

Anyways i really do think that english ppl should spend a lil more time on each word and don't "swallow" their ends :laugh: i guess i do the same thing when i speak french but still... American accent is much easily "understandable" but sometimes i find it vulgar :ninja:

What I say maybe harsh, but I heard the Cockney, Birmingham, Oxford, east Anglia and North of England accents on the website that website that Jimmy Changa posted. They all pretty much sound THE SAME TO ME!!! There may well be 25 different dialects in the UK, but hey, I doubt I would know a Manchesterian from a person from Sheffield. I'm guessin' the majority of Americans wouldn't know either. As you well pointed out before in a previous post, you know some English people who have been mistaken for Australians in the U.S. Even your fellow UK'er Sheyda stated that her boyfriend's sister and the boyfriend of the sister talk American. When I asked her American how, she didn't respond. Chances are that all Americans might sound the same to her, and maybe you think the same way. Tell me, do you think you could tell the difference from a person who was from L.A. and another person who was from, say, Chicago? I doubt you would.

i have been to america on several occasions (prob at least 10 times) and i can distinguish different dialects i feel . . . i have talked to actual people there and have heard their accents. if you follow the media alone you receive less of a range of different dialects . . .

i appreciate that there are differences in the US (some varying quite considerably) but to say that there is like no difference between cockney and geordie is frankly laughable . . .

also, no offence or anything but Jimmy's accents aren't the best for the UK. especially not the one with the train spotter :rofl:

i am more than confident that i could discern such dialects from each other :p

i have been to america on several occasions (prob at least 10 times) and i can distinguish different dialects i feel . . . i have talked to actual people there and have heard their accents. if you follow the media alone you receive less of a range of different dialects . . .

i appreciate that there are differences in the US (some varying quite considerably) but to say that there is like no difference between cockney and geordie is frankly laughable . . .

also, no offence or anything but Jimmy's accents aren't the best for the UK. especially not the one with the train spotter :rofl:

i am more than confident that i could discern such dialects from each other :p

Ok, Barry, good for you. Still, I think I made my point quite CLEARLY!!! Regardless of what part of England that person is from, the majority of Americans will only hear an ENGLISH ACCENT!!! Like you pointed out before, some Americans can't tell an Australian accent from an ENGLISH ONE!!! I think I do fit into that category. Also, America is much larger than England. As we all know, the U.S. is a country of immigrants, and certain accents in the U.S. came about because of which area the immigrants settled in. That's why we have Chinatown's, Little Tokyo's, Japantown's and such in large cities in the U.S. Maybe that is a little off topic, but still, I think I made my point. You are from England, so you can tell the difference between cockney and geordie. Most of us Amercans can't. It all SOUNDS THE SAME TO US!!! :yes:

I HATE Fargo accents. Bahamian accents and Trinidadian accents I also hate.

That reminds me, I forgot about the accents that come out of the West Indies and the Caribbean!!! So here I go: I don't mind the Bahamian accents. In face, I love the way Sidney Poiter talks!!! I also like the way the Jamaicans talk, especially when they say "BUM-CLOT" AND "RUMP"!!! The Trinidadain accent, I'm on the fence with that one. Some times it is cool, but it also can be annoying at times. I'll throw in the Curacaoan accent in this category as well. I like the way Andruw Jones of the Atlanta Braves talks. For some reason, I don't like the way Randall Simon talks.

Even your fellow UK'er Sheyda stated that her boyfriend's sister and the boyfriend of the sister talk American. When I asked her American how, she didn't respond. Chances are that all Americans might sound the same to her, and maybe you think the same way. Tell me, do you think you could tell the difference from a person who was from L.A. and another person who was from, say, Chicago? I doubt you would.

Sorry, I must've missed that. And no, they don't all sound the same to me, but I wouldn't know what part of America they would come from based on the accent so I can't say what kind of American accent my boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend have; I just know that it is an American accent. I could probably say that my boyfriend's sister does have a very, very slight New York accent, though. Not so strong that she would say "coffee" exactly like "cawwwfee", though.

I think it is easier for people to tell the difference with American accents because there are a lot of American shows on TV in all parts of the world (where all the actors have their own natural American accent), but I don't think there are a lot of English shows on American TV (unless they are on special channels like Eastenders, but I heard that was cancelled). A lot of the time an American will see an English show and they will remake it with American actors (like The Office), so I am not surprised American people can't tell the difference between various English accents. They haven't experienced the differing accents enough whereas others would hear American accents all the time on their television screens; on talk shows, game shows, films, advertisements and video games.

You can learn to tell the difference though, if you listen enough. Though from what you've said, I doubt you'd want to. :laugh:

They might have a New England accent. "Pahk the cah"

I'm very bad with accent subtleties from other languages. I can tell a cockney, of course, and Mandarin from Cantonese, and Japanese accents from Korean, but thats about it. Within countries is soooo hard to pinpoint where its from.

When my mom was in Paris they said she has a fine Parisian accent, but when my dad lived there they said he sounded like a bumpkin. But they both spoke good French. Lord knows if I can tell the dif. :(