Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

Russian: AWESOME! i wanna go to russia and get me one. hahaha! i also wanna meet a russian person and force them to say "in russia, you dont drive car, car drives you!" many many times

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have quite a few staff from Eastern Europe where I work :laugh: Maybe you can come in a poke them with a stick :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BWHAHAHAHAH! omg thats teh most awesome thing ever! make them say the line for me next time you go to work *shoves and pokes* do it!!

mind, i equate all australians to Neighbours characters pretty much. Ed you can be Harold laugh.gif . Adriana's Llama would possibly be Skye. and Persuazn . . . hmm . . . i dunno, possibly Serena or else Sindy with a bit less of the mad personality and less of the accidents. smile.gif [i don't mean to insult anyone. if you beg to differ then please say] . . . i think that i would prob be Toadie or Connor . . . Neighbours rocks!! fun.gif

OMG WHOOT! i am so teh skye! *struts around like a little arty farty know it all*. auw know i love her!! Im glad you didnt say Janay. there woulda been an ass whooping. you know who i dont love so much tho? Serena? i wanna claw her little bratty eyes out then force feed them to Boyd. Whom i also hate!! augh the little tosser. Mr i-think-im-so-hot-with-my-buzz-cut-and-wife-beater-singlets. Well i have news for you boydy! you look like a very liberated lesbian undergoing the "transition" :yuckky:

*coughs*

anyway yes.. um.. accents.... i hate the british accent now after enduring (very loyally mind you) so many angie movies with fake ones.

Russian: AWESOME! i wanna go to russia and get me one. hahaha! i also wanna meet a russian person and force them to say "in russia, you dont drive car, car drives you!" many many times

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have quite a few staff from Eastern Europe where I work :laugh: Maybe you can come in a poke them with a stick :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BWHAHAHAHAH! omg thats teh most awesome thing ever! make them say the line for me next time you go to work *shoves and pokes* do it!!

mind, i equate all australians to Neighbours characters pretty much. Ed you can be Harold laugh.gif . Adriana's Llama would possibly be Skye. and Persuazn . . . hmm . . . i dunno, possibly Serena or else Sindy with a bit less of the mad personality and less of the accidents. smile.gif [i don't mean to insult anyone. if you beg to differ then please say] . . . i think that i would prob be Toadie or Connor . . . Neighbours rocks!! fun.gif

OMG WHOOT! i am so teh skye! *struts around like a little arty farty know it all*. auw know i love her!! Im glad you didnt say Janay. there woulda been an ass whooping. you know who i dont love so much tho? Serena? i wanna claw her little bratty eyes out then force feed them to Boyd. Whom i also hate!! augh the little tosser. Mr i-think-im-so-hot-with-my-buzz-cut-and-wife-beater-singlets. Well i have news for you boydy! you look like a very liberated lesbian undergoing the "transition" :yuckky:

*coughs*

anyway yes.. um.. accents.... i hate the british accent now after enduring (very loyally mind you) so many angie movies with fake ones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was initally gonna say that you were Jonelle :whistle: . . . :laugh:

Boyd is rather irritating . . .

BAHAH! omg auw you think im trailer trash! *cries* bwhahah omg hilarious.

and boyd is rather irritating! only rather? shjhdklhgjkhfjgkldhlaskhjfdklash *points to the episodes where he completely fcucked up that adoption for his parents* hes a selfish little.. AUGH!

*coughs* wetotallyneedaneighboursthread *coughs*

BAHAH! omg auw you think im trailer trash! *cries* bwhahah omg hilarious.

and boyd is rather irritating! only rather? shjhdklhgjkhfjgkldhlaskhjfdklash *points to the episodes where he completely fcucked up that adoption for his parents* hes a selfish little.. AUGH!

*coughs* wetotallyneedaneighboursthread *coughs*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

am only joking . . . i pictured you looking more like Bree :laugh:

what exactly happened to the adoption? i had to go back to university so i didn't see what happened :(

*coughs* in total agreement *coughs* ;)

oh yeah, did i tell you that i met 'Joe Scully'? he threatened to 'kill' my friend. seriously . . .

HAHAHA omg you ass!!! *bitch slaps*

well okay *takes a deep breath* things were going kinda smooth until Boyd like butted his steroid filled head into the picture and kinda fell for the chick they were adopting from. then they like decided to have the baby to themselves, and boyds all like yaaay im a dad, and the chicks all like eh... *edges away*.. and then she finally discovers that the real father actually wants a baby and yus she deserts boyd! whoot!

oh yeah, did i tell you that i met 'Joe Scully'? he threatened to 'kill' my friend. seriously . . .

really?! like why?

I like English accents sometimes-but I prefer Scottish ones over both Irish and English-yeah, there's a pretty big difference.

New York I like. Probably because I grew up there for the first impressionable years of my life and my family have accents. We're not from the city, and the accents differ but I suppose who it belongs too. I'm not sure if it's an Indiana thing but I'd never heard of soda called "pop" until I came here. And it took me a hell of a long time to know what the hell some one was saying when they would say "Warsh" and finally understood they meant "wash". I'd still love to know where the r comes from................................................

Bostonian accents are just insanely obnoxious in my opinion. It makes me wanna tear my hair out..... I'd probably shoot myself if I had to live there. LMAO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll record it for you and upload it :rofl:

Actually, that'd be too much effort :whistle:

*runs from Persuazn's barrage of rocks and hides behind some sort of protective barrier* . . .  :surrender:  . . . i give in. who do you want to be?

i see what you mean 'bout Serena. she can be pretty annoying at times. in hindsight i wouldn't have selected Serena 'cos that would have made Ed your grandad  :o . a scarey prospect  :shock: . i was very hesitant to choose Izzy 'cos she has just been busted in the last couple of episodes over here, apparently. Sindy is alright but i have no clue what is happening at the moment in the episodes.

who is this Ned? i hate being six weeks behind you guys in 'neighbours'  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:laugh:

:hug:

Ned is Stuart's younger brother :drool:

Another thing I don't like about the English is their slang. In America, when we pissed, we are angry. In England, when they are pissed, they are drunk. In America, when we are drunk, we are faded( at least that we say in Cali).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how are you gonna understand 'basic slang' if you can't even pronounce words like 'tomato' correctly? :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you know?! You ever been to Cali? And if you been, to you meet any native Californians?! Oh yeah, since you want talk about pronounciation, you English can't even CUSS RIGHT!!! When you guys say "fuck", it sounds like "fook". Plus, its "ass", not "arse". And when to you guys add the "e" to "shit"?!

Jimmy Changa Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

"Just so y'all know....I don't have an accent. I've been told that many times. People can't tell where I'm from because I speak in such plain English."

Well, Jimmy, you are one of the few. Some actors and actresses take voice lessons to lose their accents, or for some roles, to gain ones. By the way, if you wanna know how a Baltimore accent sounds, go and get the "The Wire" on DVD and check out the character named Omar. When they say "Baltimore" they usually drops the "r" and the "e", and they barely pronounce the "t" and it usually has a "d" sound to it. I'm used to it, since my dad was raised there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

note the derivations of the word "arse" and the word "ass"

Middle English 'ars', from Old English 'ears'. 'ors'- in Indo-European Roots

note that all have an 'r'. american english has a bastardized version of this word. i refuse to cede to 'ass' . . . :blah:

the variety of dialects in the uk means that people in various regions pronounce things very differently. in fact i find it rather difficult to understand Geordies. you have clearly been talking to someone from up north or else a scotsman if they have made those schoolboy errors with their language.

do you not understand 'shite'? 'shit' and 'shite' are interchangeable . . . :)

btw, i have been to many regions of the USA and have sampled many different dialects. i have been to California on several occasions (SF and LA also did the whole Grand Canyon and Las Vegas thing), have driven through the deep south thrice, have been to Atlanta three times, have been to Florida on many occasions and have been to New York twice as well as briefly stopping in Philadelphia on one occasion. so indeed i have sampled a wide variety of your dialects. i feel that your sampling of the british dialects is probably less comprehensive than my sampling of your dialects.

btw, in the deep south they can't even pronounce 'water' correctly :o . . . sickening

sadly you speak a very bastardized version of the english language and many americans believe that only they speak real english. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a arrogant Brit you are!!! <_< And to think you actually speak with the cocky sounding ACCENT!!! :yuckky: What you say about the South is rightm though. I find Southen accents annoying, almost as much as I find British accents annoying. Btw, I never said that us Americans speak real English. After all, we aren't the country that spawned the language. Your country did that. However, I believe we did add more coolness to the language, with our slang, music and all. Rap music wouldn't exist without US!!!;) When the hip-hopers of the U.S. say something or wear something, that's the new cool trend!!!

Another thing I don't like about the English is their slang. In America, when we pissed, we are angry. In England, when they are pissed, they are drunk. In America, when we are drunk, we are faded( at least that we say in Cali).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how are you gonna understand 'basic slang' if you can't even pronounce words like 'tomato' correctly? :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you know?! You ever been to Cali? And if you been, to you meet any native Californians?! Oh yeah, since you want talk about pronounciation, you English can't even CUSS RIGHT!!! When you guys say "fuck", it sounds like "fook". Plus, its "ass", not "arse". And when to you guys add the "e" to "shit"?!

Jimmy Changa Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

"Just so y'all know....I don't have an accent. I've been told that many times. People can't tell where I'm from because I speak in such plain English."

Well, Jimmy, you are one of the few. Some actors and actresses take voice lessons to lose their accents, or for some roles, to gain ones. By the way, if you wanna know how a Baltimore accent sounds, go and get the "The Wire" on DVD and check out the character named Omar. When they say "Baltimore" they usually drops the "r" and the "e", and they barely pronounce the "t" and it usually has a "d" sound to it. I'm used to it, since my dad was raised there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

note the derivations of the word "arse" and the word "ass"

Middle English 'ars', from Old English 'ears'. 'ors'- in Indo-European Roots

note that all have an 'r'. american english has a bastardized version of this word. i refuse to cede to 'ass' . . . :blah:

the variety of dialects in the uk means that people in various regions pronounce things very differently. in fact i find it rather difficult to understand Geordies. you have clearly been talking to someone from up north or else a scotsman if they have made those schoolboy errors with their language.

do you not understand 'shite'? 'shit' and 'shite' are interchangeable . . . :)

btw, i have been to many regions of the USA and have sampled many different dialects. i have been to California on several occasions (SF and LA also did the whole Grand Canyon and Las Vegas thing), have driven through the deep south thrice, have been to Atlanta three times, have been to Florida on many occasions and have been to New York twice as well as briefly stopping in Philadelphia on one occasion. so indeed i have sampled a wide variety of your dialects. i feel that your sampling of the british dialects is probably less comprehensive than my sampling of your dialects.

btw, in the deep south they can't even pronounce 'water' correctly :o . . . sickening

sadly you speak a very bastardized version of the english language and many americans believe that only they speak real english. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a arrogant Brit you are!!! <_< And to think you actually speak with the cocky sounding ACCENT!!! :yuckky: What you say about the South is rightm though. I find Southen accents annoying, almost as much as I find British accents annoying. Btw, I never said that us Americans speak real English. After all, we aren't the country that spawned the language. Your country did that. However, I believe we did add more coolness to the language, with our slang, music and all. Rap music wouldn't exist without US!!!;) When the hip-hopers of the U.S. say something or wear something, that's the new cool trend!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how so? :o

hey, you don't even know what i sound like. i could be a cockney, a scouser, a brummie, a geordie, some sort of Cornwall or Devon yokel, a scot, a welshman, an irishman or ulsterman, could have a london accent or could be 'dialect neutral'. i think it is therefore harsh for you to say that i 'say' things in a 'cocky' way . . . of course you are entitled to your opinion but i think that that is a harsh judgement long with your denunciation of me as an 'arrogant Brit' (btw, i prefer 'Briton')

you must realise that my post should not be taken entirely literally and that i say many things in jest. for example, 'sickening', 'schoolboy errors', 'i refuse to cede to ass', etc :) . . . btw, i only said 'bastardized' (which means 'debased') because it is currently my favourite word and in a joking way when referring to the american pronunciation of 'arse' (or as you call it 'ass') . . . ;)

to be honest though, i do quite like the southern accent. the people i've met in the south have been really friendly and nice. that dialect has grown on me. :)

i just said that some americans think that they speak 'real' (or in other words 'standard') English. i wasn't referring to you personally . . .

and yes you may think that american is 'cooler' but other people have their own opinions and may think that their own or indeed other dialects are 'cooler' and indeed set 'new cool trends'. . .

good day, sir :heythere:

HAHAHA omg you ass!!! *bitch slaps*

well okay *takes a deep breath* things were going kinda smooth until Boyd like butted his steroid filled head into the picture and kinda fell for the chick they were adopting from. then they like decided to have the baby to themselves, and boyds all like yaaay im a dad, and the chicks all like eh... *edges away*.. and then she finally discovers that the real father actually wants a baby and yus she deserts boyd! whoot!

really?! like why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers for updating me :)

Joe Scully visited a bar near me and people were talking to him, get him free drinks and taking photos with him and stuff. what happened was my friend had drunk a bit and was trying to take a photo of himself with Joe Scully but it kept going wrong. so he was like on his 5th attempt ('cos he was fussy 'bout the pics) and Joe said 'stop taking photos now or i'll get mad'. my friend tried to take a sneaky other one though but Joe realised and said 'stop f*ing photographing me. go away' and later on when Joe had left the bar my friend tried to take another pic and Joe got all mad and said 'i'll f*ing kill you if you try it again!!!'. not much of a story but hey. he was pretty irate though.

Joe was not at all complementary about Lyn. he said, 'i have nothing good to say about her'. :o . . . you know about him getting sacked, don't you? which was why he mysteriously disappeared . . .

you know about him getting sacked, don't you? which was why he mysteriously disappeared . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's suing Grundy TV (makers of Neighbours) for unfair dismissal, even though he admits to drug abuse... idiot! :laugh:

You always highlight the wrong parts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever the case, this thread that I created has gone WAY OFF TOPIC!!! Since I'm the creator of this thread, I feel it is only right to get back on track about the reason why I created it. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have stereotyped the Brits and Aussies. Neighbors( American spelling) might be a good show, but I wouldn't know since we don't get that show over here in the States. However, that show is NOT THE REASON WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD!!! So please, get back to the topic at hand, accents you like and ones you don't.

P.S. By the way, I shared my thoughts why I don't like English accents, because they sound snooty and arrogant. I also remember that Barry thought that "Brummies are cool". However, this recent survey in England might prove otherwise:

LONDON (AFP) - Don't expect a helping hand in the central English city of Birmingham -- residents there are the rudest people in Britain, a survey claimed.

"Brummies", as they are locally known, were the least likely to pass a series of courtesy tests such as holding the door for someone behind them or stopping to help a person who had dropped their shopping, according to the study by the Reader's Digest.

Residents in Newcastle, northern England, on the other hand, were most polite, followed by inhabitants of Liverpool, in the northwest, and Exeter in the south east.

The Reader's Digest sent undercover "civility inspectors" to eight British cities to test them with a variety of politeness trials.

As well as door-holding and help with dropped shopping, they checked whether shop assistants were well-mannered enough to say "please" and "thank you" and whether drivers thanked those who let them merge into rush hour traffic.

Britons overall were polite 59 percent of the time, while Newcastle residents passed 77 percent of the tests.

In contrast, Birmingham natives managed to show common courtesy on only 43 percent of occasions.

While women were generally more polite than men, chivalry is not dead: 88 percent of men held the door open for a female researcher, compared with only 44 percent of women.

"(British Prime Minister) Tony Blair has made the rebuilding of respect in communities an official priority," said Readers Digest editor-in-chief Katherine Walker.

"Given some of the results of this test, he has his work cut out."

The other cities tested were Cardiff, London, Southampton and Edinburgh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051021/lf_af...de_051020234826

You always highlight the wrong parts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever the case, this thread that I created has gone WAY OFF TOPIC!!! Since I'm the creator of this thread, I feel it is only right to get back on track about the reason why I created it. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have stereotyped the Brits and Aussies. Neighbors( American spelling) might be a good show, but I wouldn't know since we don't get that show over here in the States. However, that show is NOT THE REASON WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD!!! So please, get back to the topic at hand, accents you like and ones you don't.

P.S. By the way, I shared my thoughts why I don't like English accents, because they sound snooty and arrogant. I also remember that Barry thought that "Brummies are cool". However, this recent survey in England might prove otherwise:

LONDON (AFP) - Don't expect a helping hand in the central English city of Birmingham -- residents there are the rudest people in Britain, a survey claimed.

"Brummies", as they are locally known, were the least likely to pass a series of courtesy tests such as holding the door for someone behind them or stopping to help a person who had dropped their shopping, according to the study by the Reader's Digest.

Residents in Newcastle, northern England, on the other hand, were most polite, followed by inhabitants of Liverpool, in the northwest, and Exeter in the south east.

The Reader's Digest sent undercover "civility inspectors" to eight British cities to test them with a variety of politeness trials.

As well as door-holding and help with dropped shopping, they checked whether shop assistants were well-mannered enough to say "please" and "thank you" and whether drivers thanked those who let them merge into rush hour traffic.

Britons overall were polite 59 percent of the time, while Newcastle residents passed 77 percent of the tests.

In contrast, Birmingham natives managed to show common courtesy on only 43 percent of occasions.

While women were generally more polite than men, chivalry is not dead: 88 percent of men held the door open for a female researcher, compared with only 44 percent of women.

"(British Prime Minister) Tony Blair has made the rebuilding of respect in communities an official priority," said Readers Digest editor-in-chief Katherine Walker.

"Given some of the results of this test, he has his work cut out."

The other cities tested were Cardiff, London, Southampton and Edinburgh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051021/lf_af...de_051020234826

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brummies are 'cool'. they have a funny but kinda cool accent. it can be hard to understand but i like it nonetheless. btw, the rudeness survey wasn't based on language. i don't get why Brummies wouldn't be 'cool' because of this survey. :blink:

come on, the survey was done by Readers Digest. what do you expect? the Readers Digest is crap, in my view. :laugh:

who's going off topic now with their crappy 'politeness surveys'? :whistle: