Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

This has got everyone Riled. People are different. An Accent is no way to judge someone. I only love the Australian woman for the way she sounds. (and that I'm in love with a girl at work and she's just beautiful and kind and warm and lovely aswell). Geordie accents are probably one of the strongest in the UK along with Scouse (Liverpoool) but I know loads of Geordies and Scousers that are brilliant and very funny, intelligent people who I love to be freinds with.

I have a question about the American accent. In the movie "Good Will Hunting" Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are trying to change their accents slightly and they sound weird, what area are they doing a very bad job of taking off?

Though this quote wasn't directed at any one person, I have a feeling that this is a response to my latest post. Since I started this thread, I suggest you go back to my first post, which started this thead.I stated "English accent: Don't like it. They sound snooty and arrogant, even though I'm sure many English people aren't like that." Hey, that's just the way I feel. Don't take it personal.

To answer your question, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are using their real accents in "Good Will Hunting". The movie took place Boston, Mass. Both Matt Damon and Ben Affleck grew up the Boston area. And you say they sounded WEIRD!!! :whistle:

Sorry, Didn't read your first post... I was just getting a vibe from the last page I read that people are a bit defensive about their own people.

Nobody likes their own Accent because dare I say it "we don't have one" to ourselves.

Yes, Deffinately... I have seen the film many times along with many other films with them both in. Specifically with word "bar" I have noticed. Sounds like they are trying to sound different to their normal way. I bow to your superior knowledge of accents in the US. I know Nathink!!

Sorry, Didn't read your first post... I was just getting a vibe from the last page I read that people are a bit defensive about their own people.

Nobody likes their own Accent because dare I say it "we don't have one" to ourselves.

Yes, Deffinately... I have seen the film many times along with many other films with them both in. Specifically with word "bar" I have noticed. Sounds like they are trying to sound different to their normal way. I bow to your superior knowledge of accents in the US. I know Nathink!!

:cain: Look who's getting riled up NOW!!! :p True, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck don't usually talk that way. However, as you may now, most actors take voice lessons to "lose" their accent. To prove this point I'll use actors from England to prove this point. Let's see . . . Hugh Laurie on "House", Dominic West and Idris Elba from "The Wire", and Clive Owen. There have also been movies when actors and actresses have had to "develop" an accent. "Mystic River" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt" are examples of that.

In response to your first statement, of course nobody hears their own accent. Nobody else hears it most likely because they talk the same way. I didn't realize how much I 'd often say "mayn" or "dude" until I went to college of San Francisco. I didn't even to travel out of my home state to find that out. So don't BOW!!! I was just trying to make a point. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by being sarcastic.

Do I sound Riled? If you read it like Im speaking quietly.. It doesn't. I'm not trust me. I like the fact that there are many millions of different accents. I like Angry French that sounds Awesome (like the Merovingian in the Matrix Revolutions).

Young people in my City say "Man" and "safe" great deal, and our young asian population say "Innit" at the end of all sentences.

I knew actors gain accents, such as one of the worst take off's ever Don Cheadle "Basher" Oceans 11. Another bad one (bad movie too) was John Malkovich trying to be French in Johnny English.

You know what I hate? When people assume you have an accent because you live in a certain area. Case in point,people who think all New Yorkers speak with a New York accent" Actually we don't. And even though I don't like the Boston accent most people I've met in Boston don't speak that way. So people also need to stop assuming that they all automatically do.

True, there are some people who don't speak with an accent, regardless of where they are from. However, you also have to take into account that nobody hears their own accent. Even the slang differs from area to area. I didn't realize how much I say 'dude' or 'mayn' until somebody points it out to me. And nobody pointed it out to me until I relocated to another city to go to college. My friends from the hometown didn't point it out to me, mainly because they use the same slang terms and speak with the same accent that I have. It's just the way we SoCal boys talk.

• 9 months later...

Spanish - :yuckky: gross.

Brazilian - :drool: AMAZING! my favorite accent and language :hell yea!: .

Russian - :yes: Very Rock n Roll :dance: .

Finnish - (Y) Very Cool.

Micronesian - :x :x :x (N) :no: Disgusting.

French - :rofl: Very Cool, [especially Sarah's :shifty: ].

English - :| Depends if its Strong or not.

Ukranian - :/ It's Ok.

Italian - :rofl: Only Bianca's, i hate American Italian accent's :x .

Chinese - :x Especially when they try to sell stuff.

Japanese - :sleep: Getting old.

Korean - :x Gross especially when they try and sell stuff.