Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

12 hours ago, jkjk said:

My understanding is that his stand-up is respected because he was making fun of the concepts of stand-up (set-up, punchline, everything).

I'm not an expert on comedy, but I remember that it's something like that. I'm sure you could find somewhere it's explained better and more thoroughly.

He's kind of like Eddie Murphy.  Murphy did only two real albums of material  (Steve Martin has 3 short albums) before he got so famous that he just went into movies/music.  The interesting thing is also that Eddie Murphy is considered one of the biggest stand-ups of all time (similar to Woody Allen, who did only 3 short albums of material and worked for 4 years) despite his brief but brilliant career.

Steve Martin's stand up career was in the beginning and fairly short; he branched much more into acting, writing, and music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SteveMartinTube/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=9

This is the performance in question;- he mixes it up with music, prop comedy, physical abstractions, and verbal but it looks like he's just goofing around and I didn't laugh once.  Carlin's 1970s- mid 1980s performances remind me of this as well- there's something about 1970s comedy that I don't "get".  For me, I get everything in the 1980s onward but a lot of the 1960s- 1970s stuff flies over my head or I find it really corny.

The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ  + the contemporary exchange of white males for other genders and colors.  It's  an interactive US Army commercial like the original.

They've been making the same game for 16 years.  

4 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare reboot is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ  + the contemporary exchange of white males for other genders and colors.  It's  an interactive US Army commercial like the original.

They've been making the same game for 16 years.  

That's been EAs strategy for 20 years................ reskinned with updated rosters.

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

yeah, it's the no. 1 shooter game and the basic technology hasn't improved in that timeframe because the franchise was so strong that sales were high (despite recent setbacks).  The AI/gameplay  is still really bad/primitive.

I believe the games are made by different companies, but we're talking about the same thing.

Gotta do loot boxes instead of making better games.

54 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

I believe the games are made by different companies, but we're talking about the same thing.

Gotta do loot boxes instead of making better games.

Loot boxes?  

This game has a two part formula:  The single player is a basically a roller-coaster ride with very simple shooting mechanics and single player progression. It uses a tried and tested set of crisis scenarios.   As the COD games progressed, this mode has become shorter and shorter.   The recent one shows a 4 hour playthrough. The multiplayer is probably the most popular shooter in the world.  They usually make one a year and there's "forced obsolesce" involved with the multiplayer.

The only way to stop the train is to stop buying the product; the franchise took a hit a few years ago (got too futuristic) and then went back with WW2/modern warfare themes, doing both in a very generic way.

COD is a prime example of how purchasing trends can lead to no innovation..!

3 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Loot boxes? 

It's basically gambling as they put rare, super rare items in packs that can be bought with actual money.

Then you got kids paying for different character attire on Fortnite that don't do anything for you, only you look different. I'm one of the people that would rather pay for good content rather than dumb shit.

13 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

This game has a two part formula:  The single player is a basically a roller-coaster ride with very simple shooting mechanics and single player progression. It uses a tried and tested set of crisis scenarios.   As the COD games progressed, this mode has become shorter and shorter.   The recent one shows a 4 hour playthrough. The multiplayer is probably the most popular shooter in the world.  They usually make one a year and there's "forced obsolesce" involved with the multiplayer.

The only way to stop the train is to stop buying the product; the franchise took a hit a few years ago (got too futuristic) and then went back with WW2/modern warfare themes, doing both in a very generic way.

Games are made bare bones now so you have to buy loot box items to stay competitive.

I wonder if this game caused kids to go to the military.  Back (circa 2000) the US Army produced a propaganda game for such purposes but it was too badly made to be popular.

Then COD came out...  COD: Modern Warfare (from circa 2003) and its sequels were far superior. 

us army.marines advertisements show all the glamour and none of the inane drudgery of military life

8 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

If they showed the truth about the military, we’d have zero recruits!  :angel:

The military will always have recruits because people are just wired that way. Also if family served there's a high chance that other members will too.

Maybe in the near future we'll have to serve in the military to become citizens. :idk: