Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 5/22/2024 at 6:12 AM, Jade Bahr said:

I will watch it friday.

Tell me how you liked it..

I watched part of it already (I have a copy of it).  I like it and it's entirely in line with the universe.  Anya has huge and expressive eyes, like an anime character.  Apparently this film was intended to be made at the same time as fury road but the business situation prevented it from happening until now.  So it appears that Miller intended to make this film first, (so we know who Furiosa is) and Fury Road was to be the bombastic second half.  

So far Part 1 isn't doing so well in the box office.  I hope that it does so that Part 3 will be made..

From what I've seen this Part 1 of the story has less action and more story than Part 2.

I re-watched parts of Fury Road to prep for this viewing, I remember that this sandstorm scene struck me hard in theaters- it was when I realized that I was watching something really special:

Box Office: 'Furiosa' Lowest Memorial Day Opening in 41 Years, Should Hollywood Worry? (deadline.com)

Seems like fans either loved it or thought it was good but flawed, and not as good as Fury Road.  The action scenes are good but not as good as it for sure.

The film is continuing to bomb so far- I hope it makes it so Miller can make part 3. What a lot of people don't know is that Fury Road didn't do well and was saved by Blu-ray sales.  But that was enough to shelve the project for a long time.  Unfortunately, we don't live in that era anymore with streaming..

On 5/25/2024 at 3:37 PM, Cult Icon said:

Tell me how you liked it..

I liked it more than I expected. Otherwise I went with zero expectations. I also have to admit I had no true memories of the previous MAD MAX. But I thought Anya was great. Love her big expressive manga eyes. Since I can't really remember Charlize portrayl I can't say if there were any similarities (I probably finally have to re watch Mad Max because I'm a bit curious about that).

Chris Hemsworth is playing the silly goose again. This time with an extra silly nose in case we didn't get it. I couldn't help but wondered if at some point in his career someone told him and everyone else in Hollywood that he isn't capable to pull of a serious character. However I liked him and his perfomance still more than I thought. He also seemed to have the time of his life.

Because of Chris once again erased sex appeal they were in urgent for someone else. Welcome Tom Burke. I really liked him and Anya together. Great chemistry. He was also one of the few characters I really cared for.

I liked Furiosas bad ass mom. Young Furiosa also made an impression.

I was satisfied with the lots and lots of action scenes. I heard people whining of the amount of CGI but to me it all looked decent and I wasn't that much bored. Normally I'm really not a sucker for it but I knew of course such scenes were essential for this story/movie.

Alltogether I had 0 expectations for this movie and I ended up having a good time in cinema.

I would also claim it's a movie that worked better on a big screen.

6/10 🍿

I think this film was really meant to be released first, then the action-packed Fury Road.  This one has more world building and backstory.  I recall that was one of the first aspects/appeal of Fury Road when I saw it- a big WTF is going on with this world and who are these strange characters?

Overall with Mad Max films the protagonists/antagonists tend to be silent and imho are meant to be a blank slate for the audience to project onto rather than go into extensive characterization.

Anya from what i've seen so far is very silent and acts mainly with her eyes and physical movement.  She does a good job here. 

I still think that Charlize was better though- but few actresses can beat her

I've never seen Chris hemworth in anything else but action films like his Thor role.  I guess when actors sell out to Marvel they cease appearing in many serious dramatic roles.  IMHO in action films like Henry Cavil he is not very interesting as an actor- his perfect physical appearance overwhelms the rest of him.

Now that you've seen furiosa then fury road should be enriched somehow imho.  

I want to rewatch fury road again after i do this one too!

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

I've never seen Chris hemworth in anything else but action films like his Thor role.  I guess when actors sell out to Marvel they cease appearing in many serious dramatic roles.  IMHO in action films like Henry Cavil he is not very interesting as an actor- his perfect physical appearance overwhelms the rest of him.

I think he's pretty decent in non action movie roles like Rush, Bad Times at the El Royale, Heart of the Sea and Ghostbusters (2016).

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Now that you've seen furiosa then fury road should be enriched somehow imho. 

Maybe I'll re watch Fury Road tonight with Furiosa fresh in mind.

35 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

I think he's pretty decent in non action movie roles like Rush, Bad Times at the El Royale, Heart of the Sea and Ghostbusters (2016).

Oh yeah, he was in Rush.  I thought he was good there.

I saw that as well- it is just really hard for movies to be successful these days, which has effected the quality.  The fact that films appear on streaming so fast makes it worse.  Before streaming it could take up to 1 year for a film to appear on DVD or Blu-Ray, so people who were hyped up about films had to see in theater or risk waiting for a year.

In the US the movie theater has seen a massive collapse since COVID-19 (it was already declining before that).   People don't go the theaters much anymore.  Also filmmakers don't have the time and attention that they used to have.  Everything has to be produced very quickly which also leads to declines in quality.  With action films, the art and industry of practical effects was already declining in the early 2000s and now everything is CGI.