Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

7 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

People should be more upset about The Force Awakens rather than The Last Jedi in my opinion.

The Force awakens was alright, and at least it had the excuse of trying to set up a new trilogy.

The Last Jedi is very weak in terms of scenario or characters, and, it's full of PC/manichean views. Many characters that were interesting in ep. 7 get annoying (like Rey, Finn or the "bad" guy Ren, who's globally a weakling).

The producers argued that they were innovative and the "breaches to the story" were disliked by people being "conservatives"; but that's not the case at all. I liked the idea of Luke being weary, challenging the story, breaking the codes, but what did they bring to replace it: nothing. That's the problem.

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

The Force awakens was alright, and at least it had the excuse of trying to set up a new trilogy.

The Last Jedi is very weak in terms of scenario or characters, and, it's full of PC/manichean views. Many characters that were interesting in ep. 7 get annoying (like Rey, Finn or the "bad" guy Ren, who's globally a weakling).

The producers argued that they were innovative and the "breaches to the story" were disliked by people being "conservatives"; but that's not the case at all. I liked the idea of Luke being weary, challenging the story, breaking the codes, but what did they bring to replace it: nothing. That's the problem.

58 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Stromboli1 The only good thing with ep.9 is that Keri Russell is in it!:ohmy:

That's not gonna save the movie though...

All can be saved or destroyed in Episode 9 in my opinion. Episode 9 could shore up all the plot holes in the story.

I want Anakin and Obi-Wan in Episode 9.

Keri Russell is Rey's mom..... book it! :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Keri Russell is Rey's mom..... book it! :laugh:

Keri Russell is my weak spot :angel: I've always found her great. She's wife material, she has a kind personality and she's the type of girl who stays perfect from her 20 until she's a grandma (and beyond).

2034635-keri-russell-lors-du-photocall-d

Star Wars follows the classic and proven "heroes journey" story structure that is taught in Creative writing.  So does Nolan's batman trilogy and many other franchises.

The classic Star Wars was a 'heroes' journey' with a boy character.  The new one is a 'heroes' journey with a girl character.   With the heroes' journey structure, the lead character is meant to be a 'vessel' for the audience to relate to.   Luke was easy to latch onto but not everyone likes Rey.  

The Star Wars Rogue : One followed the structure that was pioneered by classic films such as "Dirty Dozen".  Essentially you have some anti-hero types , you get the audience to bond with them, and then you kill them off one by one until everybody is dead for the final sucker punch...

Another Heroes' Journey is the classic novel and film "Count of Monte Cristo". 

The Heroes' journey uses a lot of tropes, many of them have origins in classical mythology across human cultures.   I think it's because these classical tropes simply work on a macro-scale as long as they are implemented effectively.

I can't name them off of the top of my head but for instance in The Last Jedi Luke takes over the position of Yoda as the "wise mentor".   

The hero/heroine is supposed to face a crisis, and need help to grow and evolve to better version of themselves. In "Monte Cristo" the mentor also educates the hero and in all three movies the mentor dies, effectively passing his knowledge to a future generation.  

One of the issues IMHO with the new Star Wars is that they felt that it was essential to insert fan-servicey elements- the most obvious to me was the use of Harrison Ford.  This is tricky to pull off well because 1. the actor hasn't done the role in decades and isn't the same person anymore 2. the memory of the audience- they remember the old Han, the old Rocky, the old Blade Runner, the Old Indiana...   Ford was used in Star Wars, Indiana jones and Blade Runner and I don't think he was good in any of them.  Stallone was actually pretty good as they rebuilt his character in his newer Rocky films to make him fit the film.  

Then you have the bad guy who's basically a Darth Vadar wannabee...they didn't have to go this route- they could have just made him something original.

Then the repeated use of Death Star like 'final bosses'.  The danger with fan service is that it reduces spontaneity, surprise, and turns in the story.  When character arcs are poorly done, they tend to give this feeling of being "unearned".  I didn't care about either Han Solo or Luke in the newer films.

All these mistakes in storytelling pile up and that's why a lot of reviewers and viewers are meh with the franchise now.

4 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I thought that the political stuff was likely forced into the script by higher ups that are concerned with marketing  (kind of like how Sports Illustrated is now SJW illustrated).  Having progressive characters and themes sell & there is more buzz prior to the film as you can use a large cast of superfluous actors to expand interest.  However I think it definitively damaged the story.  Some elements about star wars screams "market tested" to me eg. Finn, the robots, etc. and not really organic to how a good writer would develop them.

Suicide Squad and those Marvel superhero films are purely commercial productions. lead by marketing.  I heard that they start from developing the action set pieces first- then market testing them to see if they would do well in the Box office.   THEN they make a story around them!!