Bellazon

Kate Upton
Thumbnail

allus6ka

Here is a continuation of the Vanity Fair article:

The Maiden in the Moon

Kate Upton has blithely conquered lad mags, YouTube, Twitter, and even high fashion, which sniffed a bit at her Dougie-dancing, bikini-rocking emergence as the 21st-century Betty Grable. Now that Upton has wrapped her latest film role, in The Other Woman, alongside Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann, Annie Leibovitz turns her into a V.F. classic, while Jim Windolf hears about her life in orbit.

By Jim Windolf Photographs by Annie Leibovitz Styled by Jessica Diehl

- - -

Asked if she is on board with her uncle’s politics—Congressman Upton seems unfriendly to same-sex marriage, having voted to reaffirm the Defense of Marriage Act in 2012—she says, “Um.” There is a lengthy pause before she continues: “I definitely leave the politics to him. It’s a little bit of a touchy subject.” Asked if she has discussed same-sex marriage with him, Upton says, “No! That is definitely not what comes up at our family reunions. That is not what we talk about.” Asked if she agrees with her uncle’s view of marriage, she says, “I don’t want to even go anywhere near that.”

Her family also has major business ties: roughly 100 years ago Uptons co-founded the Whirlpool Corporation, a Fortune 500 company that generates more than $18 billion in annual revenue. Does that mean she’s an heiress, with a billion dollars in her back pocket? “I wish!” she says with a laugh. “It’s amazing, and it’s definitely a part of our family, but my family doesn’t have anything to do with the company anymore.”

Although she has traveled the world, from Antarctica to the Philippines, she still spends her downtime in the state of her birth; recent tweets link to photos of her on vacation near Lake Michigan, where she has been swimming, learning to golf, and horseback riding. She spent summers there as a kid and remains a big fan of the University of Michigan Wolverines football team, but grew up mainly in Melbourne, Florida. An accomplished equestrian, she was a juvenile riding champion, taking the title of the American Paint Horse Association’s Under Reserve All-Around Champion and winning in its Western Riding category.

Her appeal lies in her having a natural, wholesome quality—with a slight edge. During a session with Terry Richardson, for instance, she paused long enough, while wearing a skimpy red bikini, to allow him to shoot an impromptu video of her doing a playful version of the Cat Daddy dance (a step made popular by the California hip-hop group the Rej3ctz). The footage went viral, which so alarmed YouTube that it removed the clip—only to put it back up the next day after an outcry (and the site’s realization that the video had nothing in it that violated YouTube norms; it only seemed that way).

“The funny thing is, I dance all throughout the day,” Upton says. “I just like to goof around and have a good time. It’s not like I’m a good dancer. It’s just me. It’s just what I do.”

And while other celebrities have had trouble with the Wild West quality of Twitter, which allows anyone and everyone to take potshots at stars in the social-media version of bearbaiting, Upton, a child of the Digital Age, doesn’t allow her online self to be ruffled. “Negative comments come all the time, but they’ve numbed me out,” she says. “I don’t even notice it anymore. I enjoy Twitter. I have periods where I’m always tweeting, and then I’m dry for a while. Clients have caught on, and they’re like, ‘Do not tweet anything on this set!’ And I’m like, ‘Aaaaaaauggghhh!’ ”

In 2012, Upton shot a commercial for Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. that had her eating a Southwest Patty Melt, an experience that, in the logic of advertising, rendered her so hot and bothered that she had to undress, removing even her black thigh-high stockings between bites of burger. The ad got banned, only to find new life online. A Mercedes-Benz commercial that aired during the 2013 Super Bowl showed her superintending a bunch of besotted football players as they give a car a sponge bath. “You missed a spot,” she says at the end, before walking away. Slow.

Now she is adding more movie work to the modeling, with third billing in an upcoming romantic comedy, The Other Woman, starring Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann, and directed by Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook, She’s So Lovely). In the movie, which Upton likens to The First Wives Club, she plays the other other woman. “It’s definitely the biggest part I’ve ever had,” she says. “I’m a huge fan of Cameron and Leslie, and to be able to hang out with them every day and to see how they work was such an amazing experience.” Filming was completed in July. “I definitely had post-wrap depression,” she says.

If that seems like a lot for someone who is still college age, look to her Twitter bio, which quotes the words of a bombshell from an earlier era:

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. —Mae West

“I actually don’t know how I came across that,” Upton says, “but right when I saw it, I was like, ‘That’s me. That’s how I feel!’ There’s no such thing as too much. And if you do have too much, it can be awesome.”

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/10/kate-upton-marilyn-photo