Bellazon

Football

goose

Despite Terry's undoubted gift for finding new and original ways to stab his teammates in the back, Chelsea were a lot more comfortable than I would have expected, particularly in the latter stages of the game when a sustained Barca onslaught looked to be on the cards.

Also, way to rain on Ivanovic's parade Geoff Shreeves! :angry:

If someone were to tell me that: Chelsea would come back from down 2, and draw at Camp Nou against Barcelona, playing a man down, and Barça getting a PK during the process, I'd be like: OK buddy, maybe enough with fiction movies. Now I now why it's called the beautiful game.

I understand where you're coming from SS, as Barca was clearly the better side. I gotta give Chelsea credit though. There is a reason why the games are played. With 10 players you shouldn't have expected equal possession/scoring opportunities. At the end Chelsea scored 3 times (twice at Camp Nou). That's usually enough at such a high level. Barcelona have no one to blame, but themselves. At the absence of Pique, and especially Abidal, it was obvious that Alves, and Puyol aren't high class defenders, and Valdes is mediocre at best. If your opponents come seriously only a handful of times, and scores at such a high rate, maybe it's time to point the finger at yourselves. :/

A Chelsea/Bayern final, who'd have thunk it (apart from Fred)? Hopefully, the contributions of Neuer and Schweinsteiger last night will put paid to the popular misconception that penalties are a lottery. Between them, they absolutely owned that shoot-out.

As deserving finalists as Bayern unquestionably are, Real threw it away big time through a combination of physical fatigue, tactical naivety and ultimately, mental disintegration. That could well be a watershed game for Toni Kroos, not a player I've often associated with the 'big occasion', I thought he was rather marvellous. As far as the suspensions go they're about even (numerically and in terms of importance). So, a final with two very flawed teams but lots of mercurial type players on display...could be very interesting.

It's not about not giving Chelsea credit, it's this idea that they have devised some brilliant strategy that befuddled Barça. They defended well but they were also very, very lucky. Again, if one of those four woodwork chances go in, where is their defensive masterclass? To me, conceding two goals, a penalty and then have another shot luckily land on the post are not the hallmarks of an elite defensive performance.

Missing chances happens. But that is a failure at the operational level, it has nothing to do with which side was tactically superior.

I know who I'd rather be right now.

Well yes, but operational failures should not factor into the appraisal of a manager's performance. If you have set your team up to have the opportunities to win within the game and you go out because they fail when those opportunities occur, you still have done a good job.

A real defensive masterclass would have been one in which Barcelona hardly have any chances, like the game at the Bridge in 2009.

So apparently, the word on the street is that Guardiola will walk in the summer. I'm a bit surprised, but I suppose this has been a strong possibility since the end of last season. He's only ever signed one year deals so the option to leave in relatively painless fashion has been a constant, and the level of commitment and attention to detail that his coaching style requires seems rarely conducive to long term appointments. What next for Pep? An extended lie down followed by a call from Roman Abramovich? If so, I don't envy him.

So apparently, the word on the street is that Guardiola will walk in the summer. I'm a bit surprised, but I suppose this has been a strong possibility since the end of last season. He's only ever signed one year deals so the option to leave in relatively painless fashion has been a constant, and the level of commitment and attention to detail that his coaching style requires seems rarely conducive to long term appointments. What next for Pep? An extended lie down followed by a call from Roman Abramovich? If so, I don't envy him.

More likely he takes a sabbatical and then cashes in on the Qatari money that is apparently waiting for him.

Most anti-climactic final ever. I don't begrudge Chelsea and Bayern their efforts but I was looking forward to what would have been one of the biggest Champions League finals in a long time (maybe ever?). At the end of the day though, both Madrid and Barca have no one else to blame but themselves.

eNe, you forgot to add the bit where Torres scored :rofl: I think if someone said that a few months ago they would've been certified insane and locked in an asylum for the rest of their lives :chicken:

I can't agree about Alves, Puyol and Valdes. We have our own reasons but they're the same defenders that have been playing for the past 4 years. Not much has changed about them. The one who has changed the most is Pique. The Shakira effect is killing him :(

Herve, I think Chelsea's exploits have been given so much attention because of the season they've had and everyone's expectation for Barca to steamroll them. Also, no one needs to tell you how great the English media are at patting themselves on the back :cain: Is it just me or do a lot of people think Barca are just as good, if not better, this season? I seem to have that impression for some reason.

Pep walked and so ends a magnificent era in Barca's history. I do hope he steps back into the picture in the next few years though. Tito Vilanova appointed coach next season I hear? I'm sure he already has one eye on the next Classico :rofl: Bielsa would've been a very good choice I think, and they probably could've lured Luis Enrique back into the frame if they wanted to but good on them for continuing to promote from within.

As for the final: Bayern for me, as much as I don't like them.