Bellazon

Football

goose

The Championship play-off final is always one of my favourite games of the season. Fancy Blackpool to sneak it.

Having witnessed the infamous Sunderland/Charlton play-off final first hand at Wembley, I always sympathise with the losing team whoever they may be, but that was especially tough on Blackpool, who showed real craft and excellent movement throughout. While my head says that West Ham finished third and therefore deserve to go up, I can't honestly say I'll relish the prospect of seeing Big Sam and his 'percentage' game back in the Premier League.

Having witnessed the infamous Sunderland/Charlton play-off final first hand at Wembley, I always sympathise with the losing team whoever they may be, but that was especially tough on Blackpool, who showed real craft and excellent movement throughout. While my head says that West Ham finished third and therefore deserve to go up, I can't honestly say I'll relish the prospect of seeing Big Sam and his 'percentage' game back in the Premier League.

Wow, you were at that game? Crikey. I think the spine of Blackpool's team, provided they can keep Matt Phillips and Ince, have one more big campaign in them. Taylor-Fletcher, weight jokes notwithstanding, was a real miss for them today, Super Kev at 38 remains a trump card as a substitute but he was never going to be able to lead the line from the get go with the same effect.

Disaster for Bayern, completely fell to pieces after Drogba's goal. Franck's injury was a blow, but Robben is almost unbearable to watch when he's in full blown catastrophe mode. I expect Jupp to be given his marching orders pretty swiftly. Hard to believe Martin O'Neill once thought Zat Knight was a superior defender to Gary Cahill, absolutely bonkers.

After years of burning through more high-profile managers than you can shake a lucrative contract at, Abramovich finally has his ultimate dream delivered - by a caretaker manager he doesn't appear to want and a squad in near-terminal decline. Funny old game, innit? :rofl:

Bayern, aka Leverkusen mark II. But you knew it would happen when they sent a Dutchman in to do a German's job :kiss:

As for Chelsea, I don't recall a Champions' League winning team that has been as bad as them in recent memory. Liverpool took a squad of average players but at least we smashed Leverkusen, dominated Juve and matched Chelsea. I don't know what Chelsea have done this year, but it has worked I guess.

So who are we betting on in the Euros? I'm gonna go with the Germans, even though they're on the harder half of the draw.

From the BBC

post-20523-0-1446013684-38043_thumb.jpg

So it turns out, Torres' goals per game ratio is actually pretty good considering the transfer fee.

To be fair, there have been spells in Torres' Chelsea career where even that fee looked a rip-off. :chicken:

• 2 weeks later...

Lambert's more than fine by me but God in heaven does he have a lot to do this summer. I could easily make a case for selling 96% of the squad, whether it be for the cash or, in the majority of cases, because they're rubbish. I'm really hoping that one half decent performance for Ireland in the Euros doesn't mean Dunne will suddenly be bestowed a new contract and the captaincy. Realistically I'm hoping next season will be like the first under O'Neill: top twelve finish, positive football, development of some of the youngsters and an exit door for some of the wage sponging veterans who's sense of entitlement would shock an Arabian prince. Lambo (as I intend to call him) has a good track record plucking raw lower league talent and making them into well drilled, committed, slick passing top flight pros; the complete antithesis of the nightclub bouncer vibe McLeish instilled in every player last year. He might even be able to find the good player that supposedly resides in Fabian Delph's subconscious.

• 1 month later...

STOP EVERYTHING! :o

Peter Crouch to make chat show debut

Stoke City striker, Peter Crouch, is set to host a new chat show with ex-Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher rumoured to be among his first guests. On the Couch with Peter Crouch will mark the footballer’s television-presenting debut. A Sky TV insider has described Crouch as ‘a smart guy’ who ‘takes on the role of a chat show host well. ‘The idea is he will go and visit people at their homes or workplaces and chat to them in a quirky way.

‘It's more Ruby Wax than Michael Parkinson as it's supposed to be more of an entertainment show.’ He praised Crouch’s ‘good command of the English language,’ suggesting that this was ‘not something many footballers have’. The programme is expected to be broadcast later this year.

Can you guys find someone who wants to buy Milan? Berlusconi is making a mockery of the name :/

As disappointed as I'd be too (were I a Milan fan), the Ibra/Silva deal might not be such a bad one in this odd era of stupidly rich owners and economic depression. Zlatan is approaching 31 and probably has a shelf-life of maybe two or three more years if he's lucky. Silva will be a loss at the back but there should be at least a couple of capable players available for relatively little outlay. The problem will be if Milan go for a 'star' replacement like Carlos Tevez, where they'll no doubt be quoted some ridiculous fee by Man City. Could Kaka be an option?

It's also hard not to sympathise with the other teams in Ligue 1. In years to come, no-one will have anywhere near the resources to compete with an increasingly impressive PSG and their seemingly unlimited funds. :/

Kaka's wage demand will probably make it not likely. Others like Tevez will be very expensive like you say. If the aim is to save money then there isn't many or any 'star' players available that will also mean savings. if the aim is to go for youth then there is lots to do because Milan doesn't exactly have a history of developing players.

It'll be interesting to see if any other ridiculously minted clubs emerge over the next couple of years or so. Chelsea were followed by Manchester City, then Anzhi Makhachkala and Malaga (though that seems to be going horribly wrong as of late) and now PSG. Many more and they'll shift from positions of prominence to much of a muchness, constantly competing to attract the same select group of players.