Bellazon

How to be a male model?

AnthonyDeOliveira

do you guys think any male models had acne when they were younger or did they have perfect skin there wholelife?

i'm sure they had some kind of acne problems when they were younger.

i've met Filipino models when i went back couple of months ago coz one of my mom's friends

owns a Dermatology Clinic and all his patients are celebrities :)

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend you by saying it wasn't, because that wasn't what I meant. Just cause I didn't list it doesn't mean I don't think it's no influential. But I just meant like, non-influencing fashion places in general. Like... Holland? They don't have a fashion week that gets covered, do they? Models just want to get moved to large influential places anyways so what I'm saying is why not try out for bigger influential places if thats where you wanna end up anyways?

No, no i know what you mean, and i agree with you. :) I think he should just go to agencies in Hawaii, some teen agencies. You can't always start from the top, right ?

It's not easy. My friend was in an agency before start working with fashion and his booker said that he had to do something with his skin. So skin is really important.

You're a member of a forum that mainly centers around models, so presumably you have some kind of interest in modelling and fashion photography and whatnot. Therefore you already know what is roughly needed to be a model, no? Most agency sites clearly state that you need good skin (ie. no acne) and a healthy build. There are thousands of wannabe models out there, and many of those have clear skin, why would an agency take somebody on who will cost clients extra, rather than somebody who already fits criteria - if too much airbrushing and photoshop touchup is needed, a model just won't get work and won't be a sound investment for an agency. Unless of course you're something very very special and unique, but those people are one in a billion. Plus, you need to have the right personality and temperement. You need to do exactly what photographers tell you without question, you need to be able to have a certain level of independance to get yourself around and between jobs without phoning your agency about 7129831 times a day, you need to be able to find out about some things for yourself, you need to be able to turn the magic on at the click of the photographers' fingers and look a million dollars. If you're serious about modelling, and it's not just a passing fancy because you think it sounds fun or could be easy money, I'd strongly advise you to wait it out a bit. You're still young, give your skin time to clear. See a dermatologist, and after they have your acne under control, think about ways to reduce the scarring that you're left with. Look after yourself, keep on eating well and exercising. And most importantly, keep other options open - don't pin all your hopes and dreams on being a model, because it might not work out.

I hope this didn't come across as overly harsh or mean. They're just a few things I think you ought to consider first, before sending photos off to many more agencies, considering you obviously want positive responses from them. I personally haven't done this so I don't know for sure, but I hear it can be of use - it might be worth you getting a profile on models.com once you think you're ready to give it a serious shot. Many good and reputable agencies give the site a trawl once in a while, and you might strike it lucky - can't hurt right? Make sure you have the correct photos and that they are clear and a good representation of you. Also, don't lie on your stats! (eg: I've seen girls who must be around a US12 put their measurements as 33-24-34 and seriously who are they trying to kid. I guess some of the guys are creative numberers too, but can't be so sure!) After all, if you are contacted, an agency will want to see you in the flesh, so they'll only see for themselves if you've overly touched up your photos or done some clever work with angles and whatnot. Good luck!

You're a member of a forum that mainly centers around models, so presumably you have some kind of interest in modelling and fashion photography and whatnot. Therefore you already know what is roughly needed to be a model, no? Most agency sites clearly state that you need good skin (ie. no acne) and a healthy build. There are thousands of wannabe models out there, and many of those have clear skin, why would an agency take somebody on who will cost clients extra, rather than somebody who already fits criteria - if too much airbrushing and photoshop touchup is needed, a model just won't get work and won't be a sound investment for an agency. Unless of course you're something very very special and unique, but those people are one in a billion. Plus, you need to have the right personality and temperement. You need to do exactly what photographers tell you without question, you need to be able to have a certain level of independance to get yourself around and between jobs without phoning your agency about 7129831 times a day, you need to be able to find out about some things for yourself, you need to be able to turn the magic on at the click of the photographers' fingers and look a million dollars. If you're serious about modelling, and it's not just a passing fancy because you think it sounds fun or could be easy money, I'd strongly advise you to wait it out a bit. You're still young, give your skin time to clear. See a dermatologist, and after they have your acne under control, think about ways to reduce the scarring that you're left with. Look after yourself, keep on eating well and exercising. And most importantly, keep other options open - don't pin all your hopes and dreams on being a model, because it might not work out.

I hope this didn't come across as overly harsh or mean. They're just a few things I think you ought to consider first, before sending photos off to many more agencies, considering you obviously want positive responses from them. I personally haven't done this so I don't know for sure, but I hear it can be of use - it might be worth you getting a profile on models.com once you think you're ready to give it a serious shot. Many good and reputable agencies give the site a trawl once in a while, and you might strike it lucky - can't hurt right? Make sure you have the correct photos and that they are clear and a good representation of you. Also, don't lie on your stats! (eg: I've seen girls who must be around a US12 put their measurements as 33-24-34 and seriously who are they trying to kid. I guess some of the guys are creative numberers too, but can't be so sure!) After all, if you are contacted, an agency will want to see you in the flesh, so they'll only see for themselves if you've overly touched up your photos or done some clever work with angles and whatnot. Good luck!

:clap: Well said! I agree with everything you said, especially about being independent.

• 3 weeks later...