Bellazon

Candice Swanepoel
Thumbnail

PeachMuffins

I like his work that I've seen, but that's highway robbery, given that that price tag wasn't a typo. Some of his other stuff is ~$100-200 which still seems kind of pricey but I would almost consider it worth it even despite that a lot of it will eventually be available different places online for free. I am interested to know if what I've seen of his previous stuff is basically the entirety of the books, if there's exclusive stuff in there then I would be interested in looking into some of the other books. People are gonna say its art and its priceless and blah blah...I don't think any book should cost that much. Like I just don't understand how it sells at that price tag

1 hour ago, Grievous said:

No book is worth $1000.  I hope that's a typo. 

No typo!

And this is only the pre-order price.

COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOOK

Russell James’ newest masterpiece is truly a collector’s piece, and arrives in a unique 2-piece linen-wrapped slipcase.

Edition of 1,000
Limited to only 1,000 copies, each is numbered and signed by Russell James.
$1,500 Pre-publication price if ordered before November 30, 2018, unless otherwise sold out. ($1,800 after December 1, 2018)

• Hardcover, clothbound
  • Linen-wrapped slipcase
  • 13 x 18 in.
  • 448 pages

It's not ridiculous, this is a book that took four years of hard work to make and that includes pictures of probably every relevant model from this decade, so far all the pictures we've seen are new and there will only be 1,000 copies of this book. I think it's a fair price if you are someone who is passionate about photography or someone who is actually in the fashion industry. Most of us just want to see pictures of X or Y girl, hence why paying $1500 would be frankly, quite stupid. But I don't think Russell made this book thinking OMG the folks at bellazon will love this!! I wouldn't be surprised if we actually never get to see the inside of this book considering the price and limited amount of copies.

The price is totally insane but I'm literally gonna have to fight myself from not buying this. One head starts working when I see the price tag and the other head takes over when I see that cover lol. What I'm scared of is it just rehashing his old content. A lot of people were angry with the 2014 ANGELS copy because apparently HALF of it was material that was in his earlier books.

The price would be fair if it were all new photos, but with Russell's work, it means that we've probably seen a lot of those photos already.

Sad thing is that because it's so pricey, there is very little chance that someone will leak out the scans.

I bet it's going to be a fantastic job with no previous material but even Helmut Newton's book wasn't so expensive. Russel and the publishing company are going to fork 1.5-1.8 million dollars (minus expenses) out of this in time shorter than any other book. Obviously,  they are aiming for high-wallet customers and that makes me totally uninterested. I would prefer to see the canceled book with Candice Around the House.

15 hours ago, Clauds said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually never get to see the inside of this book considering the price and limited amount of copies.

Has anyone out there seen the complete group of pictures from 2003's Victoria's Secret Backstage Sexy book? I doubt, same will happen with this one.

Go to your local Barnes and Noble and you will see plenty of these big coffee table like books filled with models at $70, $100.    I bet you the contents inside are much better.  This probably only appeals to true fans of the photographer- apparently there are some that exist.

best-coffee-table-books-6.jpg

I buy lots of books myself and I will pay for quality of content, but not for a rare collector's item of mediocre content (that will most likely depreciate in value. )  High quality books with rare information will often be bidded up to 1,000 on Amazon from their original publisher price of $60, $70.  Not sure if a photobook would qualify as "rare information".