Bellazon

Things from the 2010s that won't age well

Michael*

Apart from myself, of course. :pinch:

I don't see too many 'raunch' comedies dating particularly well. The humour is really predictable, and probably in about five or ten years' time, people will have quietly moved on.

Things from the internet like emojis and a lot of 'mainstream' memes. Perhaps even Twitter, especially hashtags depending on how far it lasts into the next decade.

^ The majority of my friends still use snapchat and snapchat stories more the IG version. :idk: I actually haven't seen a lot of people I know IRL convert to the IG stories- it's mostly models and actors that I follow. 

"Instagram" make up. The Kylie Jenner Look

8 hours ago, Michael* said:

I don't see too many 'raunch' comedies dating particularly well. The humour is really predictable, and probably in about five or ten years' time, people will have quietly moved on.

Things from the internet like emojis and a lot of 'mainstream' memes. Perhaps even Twitter, especially hashtags depending on how far it lasts into the next decade.

I don't see many of those comedies really aging well either, but then again, I don't think that many of them from any era really age particularly well either.  I think each decade or generation has a handful of those types of films that become the classics of the time but then the rest just fade into the background and become largely forgotten with time. 

I can't really comment with much authority on Twitter or any of those kinds of things as I don't use them myself, but I can't really see Twitter going away too terribly soon.  It's just too convenient of a way for people to communicate to a very wide audience.

10 hours ago, Michael* said:

which ones?

Eventually there be people who haven't seen Borat but Borat is timeless: (not 2010s though)

Image result for borat

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

which ones?

Eventually there be people who haven't seen Borat but Borat is timeless: (not 2010s though)

Mostly things like Ted, The Hangover sequels, Horrible Bosses and suchlike. Also anything that's very self-referential or overly reliant on pop culture references as a source of humour. A lot of today's celebrities, politicians and films won't be as relevant to future generations, so the jokes likely won't resonate quite as much.

I think with something like Borat, although there's obviously no shortage of gross-out stuff in it, the satirical angle is what really sets it apart.

21 hours ago, VS19 said:

I don't see many of those comedies really aging well either, but then again, I don't think that many of them from any era really age particularly well either.  I think each decade or generation has a handful of those types of films that become the classics of the time but then the rest just fade into the background and become largely forgotten with time. 

Very true, and there are two ways in which a film can feel dated, of course. There's the kind that makes you go, "this is stupid, what were they thinking" and the other kind where you might think, "this captures the feeling of its time" instead. Although there are some that could probably fall into both categories. :laugh:

I completely forgot ....

The forces of money ... The passion of profitability ... Adios Donald ... The religion of economic progress ... The excessive medias coverage ...

The very embarrassing paradox of Simpson ... A = a + a' ; B = b + b' ; C = c + c' ; D = d + d' ; A/B > C/D ; a/b < c/d ; a'/b'<c'/ d' .... This is only the arithmetic explanation ...

Our Universe is old fashioned ...

To the Happy Few

On 01/07/2017 at 2:25 PM, gotportugal said:

I still don't know how Twitter is still around honestly.

22 hours ago, Limerlight said:

Twitter is IMO one of the worst inventions of all time, it needs to go ASAP

If it can cheer you up, you can look at Twitter financial results... they are not good.:no2: I wouldn't put a single kopeck on it.

15 hours ago, Michael* said:

Mostly things like Ted, The Hangover sequels, Horrible Bosses and suchlike. Also anything that's very self-referential or overly reliant on pop culture references as a source of humour. A lot of today's celebrities, politicians and films won't be as relevant to future generations, so the jokes likely won't resonate quite as much.

I think with something like Borat, although there's obviously no shortage of gross-out stuff in it, the satirical angle is what really sets it apart.

A lot of the Simpsons, Family guy (plus spinoffs), and South Park are reliant on contemporary issues

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

A lot of the Simpsons, Family guy (plus spinoffs), and South Park are reliant on contemporary issues

Most definitely, and I dare say most people have been entertained by all three of those shows at various points. I certainly have, although I do think the episodes that give you an honest and sometimes absurd portrayal of life and family (with gags that reinforce that) will be the ones that people consider timeless. A lot of the later stuff was essentially just a stream of gags laid out one after another, which I don't see ageing quite as well.

On 03/07/2017 at 4:02 AM, Cult Icon said:

True... Maybe our grandchildren won't be able to understand this 2010s drama :rofl: