Bellazon

Trumpland U.S.A

Cult Icon

13 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Reading comments on this kind of stuff either on Youtube or social media, or news sites that allow comments, is ALWAYS a bad idea.

The YouTube comments section is essentially the internet equivalent of purgatory, for people whose agonising stupidity got them banned from every forum with actual moderation and a sense of community. Spare a thought for the poor sods, they've no place else to go. :laugh:

4 hours ago, jj3 said:

So ... Basically, Trump says no to the concept of common futur. I worry that USA said no by the same to its own futur. 

Trump is a monumental dumbass for his decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreements. It goes against many of his ideas for the American people, jobs being a main one he loved to hammer out during his campaign trail. Jobs are exploding in renewable energy yet this moron wants to revive coal which has seen double digit declines in a archaic industry over the past 5 years. But on the upside, the majority of important cities and states are sticking to the agreement regardless of what Trump and his incompetent administration does. Anyone with enough insight and vision knows dealing with climate change is a win-win regardless of what side u believe in ... *cough* .... *science has had the answer* ... since it will create millions of jobs in the decades to come and gives us a steady, clean, reliable source of energy for as long as humanity needs energy! @Michael* get the prison cell ready, sounds like he will be visiting those stale bed sheets soon! :whistle:

Trump supports coal because some of his constituents are coal mining unions/companies.  I have doubts that he believes even half of the things he says.

The Oil Industry actually funds anti-climate change information flows.  I believe that they do this because it is in their own interest to not have to compete for Gov't favors with alternative energy lobbyists and interest groups in Washington.  This is spread in the right wing media, where the financial failures of alternate energy companies (particularly if Gov't funded) get attacked as if it's a great thing that solar, wind, etc. companies aren't making enough profit.

51Zv3uMCO4L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think that it's interesting that the Author of this book is now NSA for Trump.  He is among the least controversial.  This was his Ph.D Thesis as a Major, where he identifies and assigns blame for the failure in Vietnam.  Besides being a valuable resource and an update on the older study, "The Best and the Brightest", I believe that  it can inform the NSA's mental inclination.

In his view, the war was not the inevitable failure.  The political elite is assigned most of the blame (S of Def McNamara and LBJ are most derided as being out of their depth and focused on the Domestic crusades while trying to dominate the military elite) but the Joint chiefs failed to counterbalance SecD's with various US military agencies involved with damaging bureaucratic infighting.   The general warning in the book is how chaotic internal politics can cause serious problems in strategic leadership  and also the general incompetence America's intellectual and leadership elite that rose to lead Vietnam.  The war was lead by a bunch of politicians (both civilian and military), not a group of the most suitable experts for the job.

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Trump supports coal because some of his constituents are coal mining unions/companies.  I have doubts that he believes even half of the things he says.

The Oil Industry actually funds anti-climate change information flows.  I believe that they do this because it is in their own interest to not have to compete for Gov't favors with alternative energy lobbyists and interest groups in Washington.  This is spread in the right wing media, where the financial failures of alternate energy companies (particularly if Gov't funded) get attacked as if it's a great thing that solar, wind, etc. companies aren't making enough profit.

The oil industry has had reliable climate change data since at least the early 1980s and they have plotted their strategic course accordingly ever since.

Anyway, this presents a great opportunity to the EU, China, India, ... to swoop into the renewables market which has now been vacated to some extent by the U.S.

3 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

The oil industry has had reliable climate change data since at least the early 1980s and they have plotted their strategic course accordingly ever since.

Like fucking Iraq and Libya up :ermm:  Their shenanigans arent limited to climate change denial

19 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Anyway, this presents a great opportunity to the EU, China, India, ... to swoop into the renewables market which has now been vacated to some extent by the U.S.

The renewables market is not very sustainable, that's why they rely a lot on Gov't grants and subsidies via politics.  Solar panel companies have struggled since Jimmy Carter gave the first big grants in the 1970s.  Tesla, for instance, relies a lot on publicity in order to get investors. They have  struggled to be a sustainable business and rely a lot on bloated shares.  The conventional energy companies are near totally dominant.  Wind, solar, water, electric, etc. still struggle compared to fossil fuels.

I know a geologist that absolutely HATES alternate energy and global warming media.  He works in oil exploration.    

I'm on the fence with this, as I see the whole global warming/alternative energy megatrend as similar in some ways to the space race in the 1960s-1990s.  Both are important sources of political support by the dominant political parties, and thus pushed through the media. The culture focuses on absorbing natural human feelings of megalomania and destiny.  Both are worth pursuing, but do not impact human lives all that much as of yet.  But if a big breakthrough occurs that can revolutionize things for the average person, then all the costs will be worth it.  

16 hours ago, elfstone said:

:rofl:

Very interesting gif from War Machine, especially when you get that Obama is one of those to blame for the current Trump's reign ... 

#engrenage

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The renewables market is not very sustainable, that's why they rely a lot on Gov't grants and subsidies via politics.  Solar panel companies have struggled since Jimmy Carter gave the first big grants in the 1970s.  Tesla, for instance, relies a lot on publicity in order to get investors. They have  struggled to be a sustainable business and rely a lot on bloated shares.  The conventional energy companies are near totally dominant.  Wind, solar, water, electric, etc. still struggle compared to fossil fuels.

I know a geologist that absolutely HATES alternate energy and global warming media.  He works in oil exploration.    

I'm on the fence with this, as I see the whole global warming/alternative energy megatrend as similar in some ways to the space race in the 1960s-1990s.  Both are important sources of political support by the dominant political parties, and thus pushed through the media. The culture focuses on absorbing natural human feelings of megalomania and destiny.  Both are worth pursuing, but do not impact human lives all that much as of yet.  But if a big breakthrough occurs that can revolutionize things for the average person, then all the costs will be worth it.  

Renewable energy generate nearly 100% of Germany's energy. A reminder that they are the third biggest economy in the world.

There are also initiatives such as this:

http://www.sustainability.coop/project/citizen-energy-berlin-bürgerenergie-berlin-eg

It makes little sense to look back at stuff like coal in 2017 imho.

1 hour ago, jj3 said:

Very interesting gif from War Machine, especially when you get that Obama is one of those to blame for the current Trump's reign ... 

#engrenage

This is a stupid notion. Obama is to blame for the fact that the candidate of the party he does not belong to is a crap president?

3 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

This is a stupid notion. Obama is to blame for the fact that the candidate of the party he does not belong to is a crap president?

Arrogance is always guilty. But ok, i should have said : Obama administration. 

Trump is in the White House because somehow the GOP field failed to beat a reality TV star who became a Republican five minutes prior to the primaries.

Then the Democrats chose a candidate with a lot of baggage who also had the added disadvantage of being female (thus losing a subsection of the electorate just due to sexism/misogyny).