Bellazon

Suicide Squad (2016)

Michael*

22 hours ago, Limerlight said:

God Will Smith will probably ruin this film :/ Good cast otherwise

My last hope for Smith's Deadshot is that Ayer has a pretty good track record of getting unconventional performances out of actors who are the same in everything. He may have even pushed into the realm of making Jai Courtney interesting. :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Michael* said:

My last hope for Smith's Deadshot is that Ayer has a pretty good track record of getting unconventional performances out of actors who are the same in everything.

Is this role really THAT different from all the other roles he has played? With the exception of being a comic book character the character backstory isn't that different from his other roles.

On 7/25/2016 at 5:16 PM, PinkCouture said:

Is this role really THAT different from all the other roles he has played? With the exception of being a comic book character the character backstory isn't that different from his other roles.

I think a lot will depend on what they choose to emphasise about him. Usually, Deadshot is a guy who doesn't have strict morals. Not exactly suicidal but with very little regard for his own life, something that Will Smith doesn't often play. What I would probably expect to see here is the other side of the character, a redeemable villain who enjoys the hunt but wants to do right by his daughter. Basically the kind of role Smith can do, and often does do, in his sleep.

And if it is that role that he plays my pre-screening rating of the movie being a giant stinker will stand.

I haven't seen it but i already rate it below a 5. Will I see it? Doubtful, cause fuck Will Smith movies.

Men In Black not bad, Love Fresh Prince obvs, anything after that is unwatchable. 

Jared Leto may be the saving grace, but looks like a cross between a Venom addict and a Cocaine addict

On 27/07/2016 at 3:08 AM, Limerlight said:

Jared Leto may be the saving grace, but looks like a cross between a Venom addict and a Cocaine addict

Whenever I see Leto's Joker now, all I can think about is Dennis Reynolds from 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. :rofl:

How about that Enchantress though? :woot:

Like the BvS movies it seems a lot of audience people really liked it. Most of the complaints are coming from the Joker not having enough screen time and not enough character development.

I've heard some reviews saying its good fun though, and much more lighthearted than BvS or MOS. 

I heard one review say it was this summer's Guardian of The Galaxy, though that movie got much better reviews.

Still excited to see it, I'm sure  like MOS and BvS it will be an entertaining movie at the least. :smile: 

A lot of people loved 'Batman v Superman' and will probably love this too, but if the vast majority of reviews are savaging yet another DC adaptation, then it doesn't bode that well for their business model.

There's going to be so much pressure on Wonder Woman now to get in good with the critics. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those other projects were to mysteriously disappear from the calendar. :no:

Great comment I saw under a Youtube review:

Every time I hear about a Marvel movie, i wonder if this will be the bad one. Every time I hear about a DC movie, I wonder if this will be the good one.

My boys (baby brothers) were at an advanced screening, and to answer some of the things I've seen in this thread, via my little brothers:

a. Margot Robbie is hot (Eoghan, I'm gonna murder you, write a real review). Really hot. If that's what you want out of her Harley, you've got it.

b. Deadshot is kind of funny, they know about the 'Will Smith effect' but they liked his portrayal of Deadshot more than that thought they would. It didn't drag the movie down. He and Margot were the "scene-stealers".

c. Joker is a sad let down. He has way, way less screen time than he was projected as having, he came across more like a Sopranos villain than the mfing Joker, plus we as a family think Jared Leto is a douche so there's that. Ledger forever.

d. Tom Hardy should have been Rick Flag.

e. Batman made a cameo, and they didn't really get why.

f. It's a fun movie. Just predictable, and it drags. They'd see it again. 

g. And they really hated Enchantress for some reason.

h. The worst thing they said is that it reminded them of BVS plot and pacing wise.

Keep in mind that they're teenage boys, this is hearsay, and this comment should thus be taken with a mouthful of salt.

19 hours ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

My boys (baby brothers) were at an advanced screening, and to answer some of the things I've seen in this thread, via my little brothers:

a. Margot Robbie is hot (Eoghan, I'm gonna murder you, write a real review). Really hot. If that's what you want out of her Harley, you've got it.

b. Deadshot is kind of funny, they know about the 'Will Smith effect' but they liked his portrayal of Deadshot more than that thought they would. It didn't drag the movie down. He and Margot were the "scene-stealers".

c. Joker is a sad let down. He has way, way less screen time than he was projected as having, he came across more like a Sopranos villain than the mfing Joker, plus we as a family think Jared Leto is a douche so there's that. Ledger forever.

d. Tom Hardy should have been Rick Flag.

e. Batman made a cameo, and they didn't really get why.

f. It's a fun movie. Just predictable, and it drags. They'd see it again. 

g. And they really hated Enchantress for some reason.

h. The worst thing they said is that it reminded them of BVS plot and pacing wise.

Keep in mind that they're teenage boys, this is hearsay, and this comment should thus be taken with a mouthful of salt.

You got anyone to take you to the movies Luv? :wub: :eyebrows:

Suicide Squad: DC fans petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes over critical reviews

by Will Robinson

The negative reviews rolling in for Suicide Squad have some DC Comics fans upset — but not about the movie. Instead, a small but outspoken group is going after Rotten Tomatoes, a site that aggregates movie reviews. One enterprising fan — Abdullah Coldwater of Alexandria, Egypt — launched a Change.org petition to shutter Rotten Tomatoes due to its lackluster ratings on movies in DC’s wheelhouse.

The petition accuses the site of giving “unjust bad reviews … that affects people’s opinion even if it’s a really great [movie].” The petition has received about 3,800 signatures as of this posting. Rotten Tomatoes, which tallies the percentage of reviews that are deemed positive, currently shows a meager 36 percent positive rating for Suicide Squad, based on 64 reviews, while this spring’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice settled at 27 percent on 344 critiques. To compare, Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War garnered a laudatory 90 percent with 320 critics chiming in.

ew.com

• 3 weeks later...

The critics were way too harsh :cain: The movie wasn't that bad and in fact I really enjoyed it! :D Granted I drank a large tea before seeing the movie so I missed a few scenes towards the beginning due to needing to use the bathroom :laugh: 

Will it be nominated for a Oscar? Of course not but we knew that from get-go. The movie was entertaining and served it purpose :hehe:

Honestly, as much as I wanted to take the reviewers to task this time, I'm inclined to agree with a lot of their criticisms, especially on the way it was structured. The rumours of Warners cutting two versions (only one under Ayer's control) and mashing them together were probably true, because most of it was incoherent and edited to within an inch of its life, almost to the point of removing any consistent pace or tone.

The silver lining for me, although I hate that they followed Harley's New 52 origins (a big departure from her original backstory and a far inferior one), was that the cast all managed to be quite entertaining in their roles. I had a real sense that the majority of the characters would have been well worth watching in a different and much better movie. :laugh:

Overall, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that while the structure of characterisation and plot movement were pretty disastrous, the actors, for the most part, by bringing these cool characters to life, helped make the movie more fun than it really should have been. The critics haven't fully picked up on that because in focusing mostly on editing and direction, they probably didn't allow themselves to be swept up in it as much as the average cinema goer.

• 1 month later...