Bellazon

Suicide Squad (2016)

Michael*

• 3 months later...

Mixed feelings when I read this one. Yes, if Joker had been the main antagonist, it would certainly have made the movie more grounded in reality. But that would have also meant more Joker, and I didn't really care much for Leto's take on the character. :/

Suicide Squad director David Ayer has come forward to admit that if he could go back and do things differently, he would have made Joker the main villain in last year's DC movie.

"Would I do a lot of things different? Yep, for sure," Ayer said in a reply to a fan on Twitter, who called his movie a "masterpiece." After thanking them for their support, he said he "really tried to make something different, with a look and voice of its own."

In retrospect, Ayer said he wishes he could go back and do things differently. "Wish I had a time machine," he added. "I'd make Joker the main villain and engineer a more grounded story."

After acknowledging the film's shortcomings and the criticism it received, Ayer said he was happy to have the opportunity to make the film and said he plans to do right by DC fans next time. "I love making movies and I love DC," he said. "I'm lucky to have the job I have. I have to give the characters the stories and plots they deserve next time."

Back in December, Ayer signed on to direct the upcoming Harley Quinn/Gotham City Sirens movie.

At the end of his statement, he confirmed that "no, there isn't a secret edit of the film with a bunch of Joker scenes hidden in a salt mine somewhere."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/22/suicide-squad-director-david-ayer-wishes-hed-made-joker-the-main-villain