Bellazon

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Cult Icon

On 2/9/2016 at 2:42 PM, Michael* said:

Not sure how much Zack Snyder is going to source from Miller's written material, but he's certainly swiped all manner of visual cues. :laugh:

To be quite honest, I'm really hoping that they're still holding back a few choice twists, and that the stuff shown in the trailer isn't the entire plot, because it’s a pretty big reveal to show us the war beyond the original battle that most folks will be coming to see the movie for in the first place.

Overall, from the promotional material I've seen so far, the only thing I'm genuinely excited about at the moment is Wonder Woman. Even her inclusion (not to mention those of Aquaman and Flash) feels a bit superficial, like they're trying too hard to play catch-up with Marvel.

Indeed. 

I'm holding my judgement until I see it a few times. 

Anyone going to see Deadpool?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, katchitup said:

I saw the same thing. Seems like every Zack Snyder movie. Great visuals, somewhat interesting story plot at times, but messy and in cohesive. 

Apparently Ben Affleck was pretty good as Batman though..

That sounds like "watchmen", Lindsay.

300 may have been Synder's best movie, lol.

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

That sounds like "watchmen", Lindsay.

300 may have been Synder's best movie, lol.

yep. And 300 was just alright :rofl: 

I didn't mind the Superman movie, but I agree it was messy and the action sequences were too drawn out. 

^

I'm waiting for the memes :p  300 and Dawn of the Dead were the only coherent synder movies.  

Some of the rumors are quite funny, like the movie costing 450 million and needing to gross a billion just to break even.

I liked MOS enough, I thought it was alright.

1wE3WV.gifuntitled-371xxs.gif

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

^

I'm waiting for the memes :p  300 and Dawn of the Dead were the only coherent synder movies.  

Some of the rumors are quite funny, like the movie costing 450 million and needing to gross a billion just to break even.

I liked MOS enough, I thought it was alright.

I forgot about Dawn of The Dead! That was a pretty good zombie movie, good acting, good action, good story plot. one of my favs for sure. 

On 24/03/2016 at 1:44 AM, katchitup said:

Apparently Ben Affleck was pretty good as Batman though.

Yeah, the reviews I've read so far didn't seem to think much of the movie overall, but almost all say that Affleck acquitted himself pretty well. That being said, he supposedly had input on the script too, so if the film as a whole doesn't impress, then I suppose at least some of that could still reasonably be laid at his door. :laugh:

On 23/03/2016 at 2:34 AM, Cult Icon said:

The box office targets will probably be similar to those of 'Force Awakens' so I'm guessing about a billion, although whether it makes that much of course remains to be seen. A lot will depend on the fans and if they're prepared to come back two or three times. If not, I could perhaps see the overall takings totaling about 800-850m worldwide, which, when you consider that the 'Amazing Spider-Man' series was discontinued after the second installment made 750m off a budget of 260m, would be a bit of a disappointment for a movie being billed as a launching point for the Justice League franchise.

Henry Cavill is very meh as Superman. I like him and think he's extremely attractive but his character lacks alot of depth and while he's Superman I feel like they could make the audience more emotionally invested in his character. He is just kind of there. Batman is a much more complex character and it makes him more interesting to watch. All this isn't necessarily Henry's fault though. 

I suppose to be fair, the role Henry Cavill played in 'Man Of Steel' was a pretty tough gig. He was basically a transient worker figuring out the extent of his alien heritage, then a confused rookie hero launched into becoming the world's saviour, all within a matter of hours. In terms of the physical design of the character, he probably isn't as ideal a Superman as Reeve or maybe even Brandon Routh were, but I thought he embodied everything an actor should to play the part.

We've seen all of Clark's conflicts now though, and we should be in a different place at this point, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

^I feel like it's not necessarily an issue with Henry, just an issue with the character/his portrayal on film. Superman is a staple but often I feel emotionally unattached to him find him to be that interesting of a character. He's not really complex besides a few things like being an Alien :laugh: I guess what I'm trying to say is that he could be much more interesting. 

I watched the movie this afternoon, in 3D which i basically hate :D But i loved the movie. I loved Man of Steel, and though it could've been less good this time, but no. I don't get the bad reviews and critics on the movie TBH. And especially those against Ben, he's the best Batman i ever saw so far. I loved Gal as WM also.

WB is sticking with Synder for "Justice League".

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141610047996/zack-snyder-teases-intense-gigantic-seven

"Recent reports estimate ‘BvS’ could take over $160m (£113m) this weekend in the US alone. Opening weekend results are just a part of a film’s overall success though and it’s often word of mouth that take films to the next level financially speaking. Cavill is confident the fans will spread the word.

“What is really going to matter, I believe, is what the audience says,” the Brit explains, “Because they’re the ones who are buying tickets, they’re the ones who want to see more of this kind of story or not and so the audience’s voice is loudest and after this weekend the audience, at least partly, will have spoken.”

Amy Adams agrees. The actress who plays Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane says these films aren’t made with the critical opinion in mind.

“I know that Zack [Snyder] doesn’t make the movies - or none of us - are making the movies for the critics,” Adams told us, “you can’t go into it with that perspective. I know we really hope the fans like it and so far the reaction has been really positive on that front.”

“If you’re interested in a film you should see it and form your own opinion rather than just going on the word of somebody [else]”.

The film’s director is currently gearing up to start shooting ‘Justice League’ here in the UK on 11 April, and he’s happy with the finished product regardless of what the critics think.

“I’m a comic book guy and I made the movie based as much as I could on that aesthetic,” Snyder told us, “And so I don’t know how else to do it 100%, so it is what it is.”

@michael   @katchitup

The Superman (adult) character, in my experience, has always been rather shallow.   He has generally been the backdrop in the comics. The thing with Synder's comic book movies is how rigidly they follow the comic book structure.  300 and Watchmen were often panel by panel copies of the graphic novels that inspired them.  Man of Steel's depiction of superman's conflicts (except the transient worker part) is pretty much directly from the comics.   It's a shame that it was not explored with much more depth than in the comics.  With S V B, he probably was inspired a lot by the comics as well.

The copying element is cool from the perspective of "dejavu" but the comic book format doesn't usually translate into film very well.  Watchmen was very awkward for this reason.  300 and "sin city" were successful exceptions.  A common complaint from non-comic book readers is that Synder's films resemble a collection of trailers. 

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

WB is sticking with Synder for "Justice League".

Thanks God :D I love the work of this director, he was IMO the only one able to transcript the Batman from Miller in theater ! 

My opinion on Snyder is he is very very talented. He has a wonderful eye but one flaw of his is I always find his movies can be a bit too convoluted. The execution and style is always spot on but he tends to over stuff the film with too many concept and ideas that often don't deliver or fall flat. To me that was Sucker Punch. The idea behind Sucker Punch was so sick. And the look, casting, style, effects it was all spot on. But Snyder's problem often lies in the story and how to work together all ideas which like I said often don't work. It happened again in BvS for me. Too much going on. He just needed to simplify the story a little. But like I said in my post about it I still enjoyed it a lot.

(I know he doesn't write the script but he oversees everything and I'm sure comes up with stories and plots)