Bellazon

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Cult Icon

Man of Steel Sequel has been announced.  Oddly enough, it is 'Batman and Superman'.  A new Batman will be cast.

Warner Bros. has just revealed plans for their own DC Cinematic Universe with the announcement of a Man of Steel sequel that will feature none other than Batman! Snyder took the stage at the Warner Bros. panel to announce something and brought up actor Harry Lennix to read a special message.

"I want you to remember, Clark," Lennix said, "in all the years to come. In all your private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember, the one man who beat you."

And with that famous speech from The Dark Knight Returns, Snyder unveiled the logo below. No further details were announced but WB has revealed that Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane will return along with the Man of Steel himself, Henry Cavill.

BPp_OGn_QCc_AACSQ0.jpg

^OMG :woot::woot: so excited!! Man of Steel was great, I just hope Chris Nolan gets involved somehow to bring it with his awesome batman stuff :p

Wonder who is gonna play batman or what actors they have in mind besides Bale?

^ Nolan was already involved in MOS, he was was producer.

And Bale already put down the cape, he has stated he won't play Batman anymore.

When it comes to yet another Batman-movie (yes, I follow this intensively ;) ) he keeps contradicting himself. :beating:

He has written this 'farewell letter' to the batman franchise:

Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I’m three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It’s my son’s ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we’d always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce’s story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn’t want to know everything that Bruce couldn’t; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne’s life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon’s mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce’s methods.

I never thought we’d do a second—how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We’d held nothing back, but there were things we hadn’t been able to do the first time out—a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we’d chickened out on—destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain’s blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we’d do a third—are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce’s journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back—a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian . . . Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental.

They're probably backing themselves into a corner by just dropping Batman into what is essentially going to be a 'Man of Steel' sequel, but it'll be interesting to see how they approach it. If Bale is a non-starter then a clean break should be made from Nolan's trilogy, although I wouldn’t envy the person charged with the task of divorcing Batman from the current public perception. They'll also have to give us a character that can work in an ensemble piece set in a world where superpowers, aliens and magic exist, which could well be another thankless task. :unsure:

If they do try and suggest that the Nolan films take place in the same universe as MOS, they could do a lot worse than to stick with Gordon-Levitt, since it was heavily implied at the end of TDKR that he would be taking over the cape. Of course, the big drawback of going in that direction would be that Joseph played an amalgamation of the three comic book Robins, which would mean that they’d be faced with the prospect of producing a Batman vehicle without a canon character as the lead. They'd also have to think of a very, very good reason why Superman couldn’t be bothered to lend a hand when Talia and Bane held Gotham hostage for months on end. :laugh:

^

Overall, the whole concept is ambitious and I have absolutely no idea how they're going to pull it. :nicole:  In Miller's TDK returns (which I never read and basically just skimmed.....), Superman only appears at the very end, and his mission is to capture Batman.  Batman, of course, uses his intellect to outwit and temporary subdue him (then he gloats..).  In 'Red Son', there is a similar confrontation with Batman.

I don't get Nolan at all, he is allegedly done with Batman but I think it was confirmed in Comic-Con that he will produce MOS 2/Batman/However they're calling it O.o

I'm still unsure about this, I loved MOS & think Cavill is the best Clark Kent since Christopher Reeves but I feel like it's way way too son to replace Bale's amazing job as Batman ... However since it's going to happen anyway, I would love to see Matt Bomer getting the part

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see Matt Bomer getting the part

Lots of dark-haired, muscly men it seems.

Not Matt Bomer, but they kinda look alike.

Grains of salt at the ready: According to Cosmic Book News, "Teen Wolf" star Tyler Hoechlin is being "heavily considered" to play the role of Batman in the upcoming "Man of Steel" sequel. The film will bring the Caped Crusader and Superman together in one movie.

HuffPost Entertainment contacted Hoechlin's representatives to confirm or deny the rumor. As yet, they have not responded.

Hoechlin is likely the first of many, many stars who will find themselves named as possibilities to play Batman in the new film. When Warner Bros. was casting "Man of Steel," actors like Matthew Goode, Armie Hammer, Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello and Zac Efron were all rumored as options before Henry Cavill signed on as Superman.

The untitled "Man of Steel" sequel -- which may be called "Batman vs. Superman" or "Superman vs. Batman" -- was first announced by Warner Bros. on Saturday at Comic-Con. "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder and writer David S. Goyer will return for the project, which is set for release in 2015. From HuffPost Entertainment's earlier coverage of the film:

Following nearly two hours of promotion (other Warner Bros. films highlighted on Saturday included "The LEGO Movie," "Gravity" and "Edge of Tomorrow"), "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder walked on stage and announced that a sequel to "Man of Steel" was happening. He then called out actor Harry Lennix, who co-starred in the recent Superman film, to read a section of Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns": "I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you." Behind Lennix, a screen showed the famous Superman logo with the equally famous Batman logo lurking in the background. (As Vulture noted, Snyder stressed that the film wouldn't be based on Miller's comic.) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/tyler-hoechlin-batman_n_3646699.html

I have never seen the guy act, but the transition from a Tween-mtv show to Batman seems quite big :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Affleck is now confimed to be playing Batman.

BEN AFFLECK REVEALED AS BATMAN IN WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ NEW SUPER HERO FEATURE FILM, NOW SLATED TO OPEN JULY 17, 2015

The Oscar®-winning star joins Henry Cavill in the first ever onscreen match-up of DC Comics’ most iconic characters.

BURBANK, CA, August 22, 2013 – Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing andInternational Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.

Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers. Production is expected to begin in 2014.

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment

I like him, after reading the idea they have for the role I think it makes sense.

My excitement about this movie just hit rock bottom. I rate Affleck as a director and he does vaguely resemble the way Wayne usually looks in the comics, but the thought of him playing Batman is certainly not one that I'll relish. He's shown himself to be wrong for this type of role a number of times already. :/

yeah Ben is a fantastic director, but I've never been blown away by his acting (hes still a decent actor, but not somebody I would consider as good as Bale)...Also I can't imagine him doing the super dark/low batman voice...IDK I'm not liking this decision.

But hopefully something will change my mind, cause I"m still very excited that this movie is happening!

He is obviously far from being the greatest actor of his generation but Ben as come a long way compared to 10 years ago ... I think he was amazing in The Town and Argo so I do have hopes for him. I don't think he could possibly be worse than Clooney

I wish he was also directing though :ninja:

yeah Ben is a fantastic director, but I've never been blown away by his acting (hes still a decent actor, but not somebody I would consider as good as Bale)...Also I can't imagine him doing the super dark/low batman voice...IDK I'm not liking this decision.

But hopefully something will change my mind, cause I"m still very excited that this movie is happening!

I've seen Ben Affleck in many movies and I'd say that he's a middling, forgettable actor at best and pretty much a journeyman.   He has done a great many films and I think the chances of him doing a great performance for once is slim.  You watch him in a film and forget every moment.  I last saw 'company men and the town' in 2010.  He's best when he plays ordinary people, because frankly..he comes across as having a ordinary personality.

He is rarely awful in his performances, but 'Daredevil' and 'Pearl Harbor' (where he played a blind superhero and a quasi-Captain America) was certainly some of his worst.  I don't recall him ever playing a dark role. Christian Bale did several very well ( American Psycho and the Machinist & even his work in Reign of Fire was solid) before he worked on Batman Begins.

A lot of people online are making comparisons between the reaction to this and Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, but most seem to be missing the point. Ledger was a young guy in the process of breaking out from doing mostly teen flicks, and whose potential hadn't yet been fully realised. Affleck is 40-something and has already shown everything he brings to the table as an actor. The odds of him 'knocking one out of the park' with a surprisingly brilliant performance are going to be much lower, and unless Snyder is planning to make Wayne into a blue-collar guy from Boston, a white-collar guy from Boston or a career criminal from Boston, it’s highly unlikely that this role will play to his strengths.

^^

I haven't read the news about this, but it's highly probable that Affleck's hiring is not due to his 'great audition'.   There was probably a deal done since Affleck is not 'just' an actor but can bring much more to the table as an experienced director and producer with numerous contacts/networks.  His role as Batman was his reward.

Bryan Cranston confirmed to play Lex Luthor in Batman/Man of Steel?

Bryan Cranston has reportedly been cast as Lex Luthor in the Batman/Superman team-up sequel to Man of Steel. The Breaking Bad star is said to have signed up to play Superman’s long-time nemesis for a minimum of six films which could extend to ten.

An official announcement of Cranston’s casting will apparently be scheduled for after Breaking Bad finishes in order for the news to ride the wave of the finale, say Cosmic Book News. A source told the website: ‘Cranston truly is a dream casting for Luthor’.

Bryan will be joining a cast which includes Henry Cavill as Superman, and Ben Affleck who was revealed to have been cast as Batman this week.

metro.co.uk