Bellazon

General Celebrity Gossip

katchitup

Dont know if this one has been posted yet: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/opinion/lupita-nyongo-harvey-weinstein.html

Lupita Nyong’o: Speaking Out About Harvey Weinstein

From the article: 

A couple of months later, I received an email from Harvey, inviting me again to New York for a screening of “W.E.” After the screening, we would have drinks in TriBeCa. I then received a phone call from one of his male assistants to arrange my transportation. Feeling more confident about the new sense of boundaries that we had established in our last meeting, I attended the screening on my own this time. Afterward, as planned, his male assistant arranged for me to get to the Tribeca Grill, where Harvey would be joining us. I met a female assistant when I arrived there. I was expecting that it would be a group of us, as it had been for the reading, but she informed me it would just be Mr. Weinstein. She would sit with me until he arrived. She seemed on edge, but I could only imagine how stressful it was to work for a man who had so much going on.

Harvey arrived and the assistant immediately disappeared. We ordered drinks and starters. Again he was offended by my nonalcoholic beverage choice but he didn’t fight me on it as hard. Before the starters arrived, he announced: “Let’s cut to the chase. I have a private room upstairs where we can have the rest of our meal.” I was stunned. I told him I preferred to eat in the restaurant. He told me not to be so naïve. If I wanted to be an actress, then I had to be willing to do this sort of thing. He said he had dated Famous Actress X and Y and look where that had gotten them.

I was silent for a while before I mustered up the courage to politely decline his offer. “You have no idea what you are passing up,” he said. “With all due respect, I would not be able to sleep at night if I did what you are asking, so I must pass,” I replied.

His whole demeanor changed at that point. “Then I guess we are two ships passing in the night.” I had never heard that saying before, so I remember asking him what it meant. “It means just that,” he said. “We are two ships going in two different directions.”

“Yes, I guess we are.”

“So we are done here,” he said. “You can leave.”

A lot more allegations in Hollywood in the past week:

- Kevin Spacey has been accused of sexual assault by actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was 14. Since his allegations, more children as well as crew members on his projects have come forward with accusations. He has since been dropped from House of Cards and recast in one of his movies that was due to release in 6 weeks. 

- Actress Portia De Rossi came out on twitter accusing Steven Segal of exposing himself to her while she was auditioning for a role in one of his films. 

- Louis CK’s movie premiere in NY was cancelled hours before it was set to begin today following news that an article against him was due to drop Nov. 10th. Allegations have been made against CK in the past regarding him exposing himself and masturbating in front of various women. 

- Ed Westwick has been accused of rape from two women this week as well- actress Kristina Cohen, and model Aurélie Wynn. 

^  That reaction to the accusations is disappointing. Also, I don't like many of the accused going to rehab. I understand that some may have a problem which needs to be treated, but most are likely just creeps who are using rehab as a way to gain sympathy and in hopes of continuing their career.

And unfortunately it’s still coming. 

- Brett Ratner (director and producer) was accused of rape by Melanie Kohler, a former employee at a talent agency. Several other women have come forward with statements against him, including Olivia Munn and Ellen Page. Ellen released a statement today that also detailed other instances of sexual misconduct that she faced as a child in the industry, but did not name any other names. 

- Charlie Sheen has been accused of raping then 13yr old Corey Haim, although his mother denies this claim. She says that while he son was sexually abused as a child in the industry, it was not Charlie who did it. She has an interview due to be released today where she supposedly names this man. 

- Terry Crews has filed charges against Adam Venit, a top level agent at WME, for sexually harassing him at a party. Terry was represented by WME, and has dropped the agency after the LAPD began their investigation. 

I am so glad that these women and men feel safe enough to come forward, despite the vitriol they’re facing now, and I’m glad it seems like some of them are actually facing consequences for their actions but there are still so many cases that are being swept under the rug. When are Allen and Polanski going to face this level of scrutiny? 

1 hour ago, toodarnhot said:

When are Allen and Polanski going to face this level of scrutiny?

Never?

For anyone who wonders why women didn't come forward in the past, these two are a great examples of why. If you are a young actress and know how Polanski is revered about after what he did, why would you think anyone would get in trouble if you told what happened to you?

^ I'm fully aware of the rape culture that prevent women from coming forward. However, I meant that now there is such a spotlight and movement on this issue in the industry right now, it's my hope that people turn their attention back to these men and they are given the same treatment. 

More accusations: 

- Andrew Kreisberg (executive producer at the CW, who works on all the DC shows) is now facing allegations from 19 different women, and has been suspended from his position at the network. 

- George Takei accused of sexually assaulting former male model Scott R. Brunton in 1981. 

While I applaud and am with those who feel the time is right to come out over their abuse and harassment, I can't help but wonder how much of the behavior is 1) still not talked about and 2) how do you sift through the truth to find the false allegations out there to make it a witch hunt ala the MacCarthy hearings?  

10 hours ago, toodarnhot said:

^ I'm fully aware of the rape culture that prevent women from coming forward. However, I meant that now there is such a spotlight and movement on this issue in the industry right now, it's my hope that people turn their attention back to these men and they are given the same treatment.

My answer was confusing because it looked like a long answer to your question when it was meant to be two separate thoughts. My guess is that nothing will happen with older well-known accusations like Allen and Polanski. I imagine we are early in what could be long-term process, so no one knows for sure what will happen. So my guess is just that, a guess.

9 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

While I applaud and am with those who feel the time is right to come out over their abuse and harassment, I can't help but wonder how much of the behavior is 1) still not talked about

The casting couch has frequently been used as a joke over the years, but it clearly came from a place of people's real experiences.

In the early days of the big studios, during a time when women had no power and no say, abuse and harassment happened as if it were a part of the movie-making process. This practice may have decreased some over the decades, but it must have still been a somewhat common occurrence.

To shorten my long response, there have to be many people who are still uncomfortable talking about their experiences for all the reasons it's normally difficult talking about them.

9 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

2) how do you sift through the truth to find the false allegations out there to make it a witch hunt ala the MacCarthy hearings?  

This is one aspect of this I go back and forth on. There have to be false allegations out there, but there is no way to know many. It could be 5% or 50% and it's not possible to figure out if a lower or higher percentage of the accuser are making it up (my tendency is to assume lower, but I can't know).

The other part of the false allegations aspect of this situation is that people use it to dismiss all allegations with statements like "There are false allegations, so probably none of it is true". That's not helpful to the discussion at all.

I think it's one of those things where although we'd all prefer these matters to be settled in a court of law, it doesn't always need to happen for a certain degree of justice to be done. As far as I know, Bill Cosby has yet to be found guilty of anything, but most people accept that his reputation is deserved because the accusations are so numerous.

One of the weird complexities of the Spacey thing is that his response to Rapp's accusation appeared to suggest that more such accusations could be forthcoming. Obviously, we all read things in different ways, but I think he’s pretty much invited a higher level of public suspicion now, and done so in a manner that makes it hard to have any sympathy for him.

1 hour ago, CandleVixen said:

If someone off the street is  accused of sexual misconduct (or worse), and they come out, is that an excuse for said behavior?  Would they just get a slap on the wrist or a pat on the shoulder? 

I don't think so.  

Honestly, I'm not too sure. We do still seem to live in a world where men are routinely allowed (depending on the severity of the misconduct, of course) to say something to the effect of "I'm sorry, I couldn’t resist" and leave it at that.

The attention being focused on these allegations will likely drift away to other subjects eventually, but when it does, I hope a change for the better, in what should be considered acceptable behaviour, will have occurred and that it sticks.

On 10.11.2017 at 9:15 PM, toodarnhot said:

I am so glad that these women and men feel safe enough to come forward, despite the vitriol they’re facing now, and I’m glad it seems like some of them are actually facing consequences for their actions but there are still so many cases that are being swept under the rug. When are Allen and Polanski going to face this level of scrutiny? 

Also rumours about SS preferring very young ones…

Thank you for keeping a list, @toodarnhot. I would also add this:

E! and producers Lionsgate Television have suspended showrunner Mark Schwahn from his scripted drama The Royals following allegations about sexual harassment during his time on The CW's One Tree Hill.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mark-schwahn-suspended-es-royals-sexual-harassment-allegations-1058784