Bellazon

What made you smile/laugh today?

frenchkiki

On 12/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, CandleVixen said:

That sounds about right. Apparently though, he had underlying depression besides not making it as a comedic actor. 

It seems like his career was strongest in the 1990s and it fizzled out a bit.  He then had a 2005 HBO special.  He killed himself 2-3 years later:

I've noticed a pattern: When comedians start running out of their most original material they start turning to politics. Jeni's albums/specials had no politics until the final one.  This one is my least favorite as it is so much of mid-2000s politics and less of Jeni's unique improv comedy.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Cult Icon said:

the most curious thing to me about Robin Williams 2002 performance is "why did he drink so much water???"  He literally takes two sips for every bit

He was a very hairy human, and he had a lot of sweating on stage. He built up heat and needed to rehydrate. 

That’s my thoughts anyway.

13 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Stromboli1 know about diceman?

I listened to his most famous album (the day that laughter died). 

I remember Dice.

He was a one trick pony that didn't have any substance to his routine that he played out rather quickly. I do like Ford Fairlane though.

22 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Yep. Used to watch him during college. Tim Allen’s stand up was pretty good then too.

9 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

I remember Dice.

He was a one trick pony that didn't have any substance to his routine that he played out rather quickly. I do like Ford Fairlane though.

His rise and fall is pretty weird to me.  I wonder how he was perceived in the 1990s?  I was too young at the time to understand.  I look at his youtube comments and it is pretty politically charged- mainly about feminism and free speech.

What's interesting is that he has continued to play this character, albeit lower profile (eg. Vegas instead of nationally).  It's extra weird now especially since he's old and essentially lampooning a douchebag from the 1970s-80s.

The "day when laughter died" was mentioned as a classic by some comedians so I had to check it out.  It's funny for mainly novelty value- it's an improv show and he gets many female audience members very angry and makes them look so stupid (they are angry at basically a troll character) 

22 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

He was a very hairy human, and he had a lot of sweating on stage. He built up heat and needed to rehydrate. 

That’s my thoughts anyway.

he has only 3 bottles in his circa 2008 one- and his early shows didn't have that many bottles.  maybe it was overinsurance?  on cocaine ?? :rofl:

An

11 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

His rise and fall is pretty weird to me.  I wonder how he was perceived in the 1990s?  I was too young at the time to understand.  I look at his youtube comments and it is pretty politically charged- mainly about feminism and free speech.

What's interesting is that he has continued to play this character, albeit lower profile (eg. Vegas instead of nationally).  It's extra weird now especially since he's old and essentially lampooning a douchebag from the 1970s-80s.

The "day when laughter died" was mentioned as a classic by some comedians so I had to check it out.  It's funny for mainly novelty value- it's an improv show and he gets many female audience members very angry and makes them look so stupid (they are angry at basically a troll character)

He was a B lister in the 90's.

Dice fell victim to having a shtick that grew old quickly and he didn't try to reinvent himself until it was too late.

People like Dice always make a come back because people love nostalgia.