Bellazon

2013 SI Swimsuit

christine

There is a chance all four rookies will be back for 2014, it wouldn't be the first time they have four girls returning. However that means less chances for the other returning girls or maybe a bigger lineup, which would be nice. This year i feel like Nambia & Antarctica could have used a couple more girls

I actually think all four rookies were superb this year. Incidentally, I keep a database of SI models and issues, verified by me seeing every issue made. This crop of 4 rookies was the fewest since 1996, when Valeria Mazza and Georgianna Robertson were the only two. Obviously, SI didn't call them "rookies" back then, but hey. :)

Dunno wtf SI did to make Kate B look so funky this year, but after looking at her candids and other bodies of work I found Kate can come across as very hit or miss. When she's a miss... total monet. When she's a hit... stunning.

BDHpxMRCcAAsRaK.jpg large.jpg IMG_0163.jpg

^ very pretty :PinkCouture2:

Still a little Paris Hiltonish

Adaora: :no:

Alyssa Miller: :yes:

Anne V: :yes:

Ariel Meredith: :no:

Chrissy Teigen: :no:

Cintia Dicker: :no:

Emily Didonato: :yes::yes:

Genevieve Morton: :no:

Hannah Davis: :no:

Irina Shayk: :no:

Jessica Gomes: :yes:

Jessica Perez: :no:

Julie Henderson: :no:

Kate Bock: :no:

Kate Upton: :no:

Natasha Barnard: :yes::yes:

Nina Agdal: :yes::yes: + cover

As much as I don't find Bar particularly interesting as a model, I really hope to see her back next year. She was built for SI.

I'd like to see a return of Hilary too.

Rookies - Michea Crawford and Shanina Shaik please :chicken:

As much as I'd love to see Marloes and Dioni in the mag, I can't really see it happening. Never know though :idk:

having thorougly reviewed the data, i'd say this year's crop of rookies is the 3rd best in the last decade.

the class of 2007 was the best. that was the year beyonce was on the cover looking very un-beyonce. the inset showed bar refaeli next to text: "best rookies ever" and it was true. bar and irina later went on to have covers of their own. selita ebanks and tori praver both had good SI shoots, even if they only came back a few times. that class also featured julie henderson, ana paula araujo, raica oliviera, and fernanda tavares. of the 9 rookies, 6 of them were in the subsequent issue.

the 2nd best class, in my mind, is 2009. SI only giving us one year of kim cloutier is still the biggest sin they can never atone for. lucia dvorska was also a good example of a one-hit wonder. cintia dicker, jessica hart, damaris lewis, ariel meredith, and hilary rhoda were also in this class. of the 7 rookies, only 3 were in the 2010 issue, though ariel meredith later returned in 2012 and 2013.

on average, SI has about 50% of the rookie class come back for the next issue.

another jewel that kate upton can add to her crown is that, of the last SIX rookie classes, she's the only one to get a cover. all other cover girls were rookies in 2007 or before.

she's also one of the quickest to get the cover, though elsa benitez and carolyn murphy also got the cover in only their second year.

beyonce is an exception, so i don't count her. heidi klum got the cover on her first year (1998), but that was before SI's concept of "rookies" started in 1999. also, she's heidi klum and no one since has even come close to her greatness!