Bellazon

Your 5 Favorite Qualities of a Model

Joe > Average

What are your 5 favorite qualities of a model :) ?

I guess I'll start off :) .

5. Versatility/A nice voice :blush: .

4. Good looks. Good looks fourth because I didn't initially get into fashion for the looks and to me there are many regular women just as good looking and I don't have to be attracted to a model to love her.

3. Charisma. That's not to say 'being nice' which is different entirely as a nice person can have 0 charisma. And also I can't know how nice most are is the only reason I omitted that. But being nice is great too :) . But I've seen countless model interviews and they are for the most part very simular to athlete intervies (boring and almost pointless unless you're just curious what their voice sounds like). So those like Tyra, Cindy (whose smart too), Heidi, Behati and Marisa who have interresting things to say goes a long way I think (much like the athletes with the most charisma get interviewed the most...). Because there are many good looking girls, even a lot of good looking nice girls, but charisma can make you stand out even over someone with somewhat better looks and versatility in the realm of business and makes you more interresting in general.

2. Being able to inspire the camera. This is not automatic to having good looks, trust me...By inspire the camera is everything from how well you pose to your general presence on set. Somewhat like a modeling equivalent of a singer's charisma on stage or an actresses presence on screen.

1. Preferably someone who actually likes modeling. To a lot of models modeling is a 'my friends said I was hot so I said, well I guess I'll give it a shot' or a 'stepping stone' to "other things". That's not to say I have a problem with that, but I still got love for someone who's passionate about their work and the ones who actually do love modeling and there's no doubt that it enhances their work :) .

If looks are all that matter to you, that's fine for you :heythere: . But as to "who cares"...(which is innately funny to ask someone who obviously does :laugh: )

1. It depends on the type of modeling being referred to. Every type of modeling requires different things even if looks are the most sharred them. I'm referring to fashion in particular. There are more non-physical qualities necessary for the average fashion model to succeed because by contrast to men's mag modeling, its not only targeting a wider demographic (males and femlales alike), but is not only about the model, but the brand/designer ect, the photography, clothes, accessories ect. Glamour modeling and men's modeling by contrast is only about the woman and stimulating the average man, so looks are all that matter to succeed in that arena. But I'm referring to fashion particularly because there are more elements involved to warrant making a list to start with.

2. Any photographer will tell you that modeling itself actually is a talent that transcends both modeling style and quality of looks.

3. Evidently something other than looks alone must mean something or else everyone who "looked" just as good would get roughly the same work and make roughly the same money. There would be no such thing as a "top model" if looks were the only thing that went into it. For every top model there are tons in and out of modeling who "look" just as good. Just like when applying for a regular job there are tons of people with simular qualifications (degrees ect.). So you need something to set yourself apart from the masses. There are hundreds of girls with "looks" but only a few can have the highest levels of success and its not because their looks are so far and away superior. For some its good fortune, others some unique quality, others work ethic, other intelligence, others saying the right thing at the right time, and others yes personality because you will be working long hours with people, not robots and they react to the things you do and say.

4. This is a business and one of the greatest assets in the business world is making friends and allies. What's a great way to make friends? Personality. Personality opens doors in all levels of business. Any success any model has without it, they could have had twice as much success with it. Any model with it has had much more success than they would have had otherwise.

5. Also, a model's career is very short, so personality opens big doors in the business world for your post modeling career (which will comprise most of your life) . You may notice its Cindy and Tyra and not Linda and Naomi that have post modeling empires...What's the correlation? Personality. No one wants to buy furniture from Linda and no one wants to listen to Naomi talk for an hour. That's money they can't have and those others do. Why? Personality.

1. Expressive eyes-I think a model should have this something in her eyes... look, if you find some model boring in photoshoots, it may be mainly because she has a dull look coming from her eyes...

2. Versatility in photoshoots-a model should be able to transform and change very much for various kind of photoshoots :) not use just one expression/pose :ninja:

3. Good runway walk-I don't think I need to add anything to this

4. Natural beauty-there are lots of different make-up's and looks put on a model, so it's important to see that even without make-up, model still can look stunning, or just have something striking about her looks, not due to her make-up only :)

5. Great skin, hair and legs :p

5. Also, a model's career is very short, so personality opens big doors in the business world for your post modeling career (which will comprise most of your life) . You may notice its Cindy and Tyra and not Linda and Naomi that have post modeling empires...What's the correlation? Personality. No one wants to buy furniture from Linda and no one wants to listen to Naomi talk for an hour. That's money they can't have and those others do. Why? Personality.
^They're also both 'All-American' US girls - and erred more towards swimsuit/lingerie, as opposed to to the catwalks of Paris and Milan. Linda, and Naomi particularly, had greater modelling longevity and were the darlings of the HF crowd.

Infact I saw Linda in a hair product advert on TV yesterday. She still gets beauty contracts!

Though who would I rather buy a sofa off of? Well Cindy or Tyra would be the better salespeople, certainly. Maybe it's just in them as part of some national psyche?!! :D

Linda, and Naomi particularly, had greater modelling longevity and were the darlings of the HF crowd.

Infact I saw Linda in a hair product advert on TV yesterday. She still gets beauty contracts!

Though who would I rather buy a sofa off of? Well Cindy or Tyra would be the better salespeople, certainly. Maybe it's just in them as part of some national psyche?!! :D

I don't think the others couldn't get work, both were doing well before leaving, they just chose to move on :idk: . But moving on isn't as easy of an option for some :ninja: ...In all honesty, with Naomi and Linda's names alone they should both even farther along in all around business (aside from modeling) than they are, but they've limited they're own opportunities because of their diva complexes :ninja: ...And have missed out on even more opportunities as a result...

^I don't know - 'horses for courses' maybe??? They were notorious divas, sure (and that may have lessened their appeal outside the industry?); it's just possibly exercise videos, shitty films with William Baldwin, comfy talk-show sofas and reality TV weren't of interest to them... :idk:

As for me, it's difficult to separate model 'qualities' with personal predilections! I mean it would be easy to say: long legs, freckles, huuuge smile, cute accent, and long wavy brown hair - wouldn't it? :shifty:

But I do take your point about personality, Joe. Like Jules Winnfield said: Personality goes a long way! But I think this is what lifts a model you can like professionally, to personally. ;) For instance, there are a couple of high-profile 'Angel' sorts that - while very attractive - have to be (or at least come across as) two of the dullest women you could wish to meet ( :sleep: ). Alternatively, there may be some 'beachy' type who's physical appeal might be lost on me - but seems like a game girl!

You may notice its Cindy and Tyra and not Linda and Naomi that have post modeling empires...What's the correlation? Personality.

I think it's safe to say the real correlation is business savvy. Media/business empires aren't awarded to the likes of Heidi, Tyra, etc. because they have the nicest personalities (and whether they even do is in dispute). Models earn them by marketing themselves right, making the right business decisions, being persuasive in the meeting room, and surrounding themselves with the best people in order succeed.

And I'll admit all these "personality is so important" comments kind of amuse me. Few of us know these models personally and personalities can be faked for the public's benefit. (See: Megan Fox.)

1- LOOKS- of course the most obvious answers, my favourite models are the ones that i find the most beautiful.

2- Personality- Looks can only get you so far, personality sets you apart from the rest.

3- Love of the job- many models just kinda landed in the buisness without it being a passion, i admire models who have always wanted to be models, and achieved that dream and are making the most of it.

4- Face Structure- this doesnt always apply, but the most beautiful faces are ones with sculpted cheekbones .

5- Versatility- Otherwise it just gets boring.

I think it's safe to say the real correlation is business savvy. Media/business empires aren't awarded to the likes of Heidi, Tyra, etc. because they have the nicest personalities (and whether they even do is in dispute). Models earn them by marketing themselves right, making the right business decisions, being persuasive in the meeting room, and surrounding themselves with the best people in order succeed.

And I'll admit all these "personality is so important" comments kind of amuse me. Few of us know these models personally and personalities can be faked for the public's benefit. (See: Megan Fox.)

But yet by your logic of not really knowing, you have glimses of personality whereas you haven't seen any of their work in business meetings at all to distinguish between ambition mingled with being fairly competant enough to capitalize on the value of their name or being particularly brilliant, you don't know either way. As to amusing, I find it amusing you say you liked Miranda less after 'looking bored' in an interview, yet you belittle a regard for personality :laugh: . And the image of a good personality is to their benefit more than the public's. Most people like to believe good of the people they admire in general. If you can satisfy that need be it genuine or not, it benefits you. Personality makes you more or less marketable. Being or making yourself marketable is one of the fundamental elements of business for a public figure from celebrities to even politics. Naomi could have been twice as business savy and still couldn't have done what Tyra is doing because she's not marketable in that capacity.

Some are savy, though you are also drastically overrating the level of business savy necessary to capitalize on a big name. So I guess you must think Jessica Simpson, the Olsen Twins, every singer with a fragrance and 19 year old NBA players are all business masterminds then :laugh: . Can't wait until their books come out, look out "Art of the Deal" :whistle: ! Its the NAME that creates the opportunities. You don't have to be a business tycoon to create them, the name creates them. Then you surround yourself with the right people to point you in the right direction and be both willing to go out and get it and listen to those who actually are business savy. You also have to be marketable to your targeted audience and able to appeal to them on some intangible level. There are actresses that look just as good and who the average person knows more anyway, so you need something more than looks to make yourself relatable to an audience, in most cases personality. You don't have to be brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. And I never said personality or any quality was manditory, no quality is (not even height and beauty), but it is a huge commodity in all levels of business, including modeling.

Rather than write an entire book replying to your post, Joe, I'll just comment on this...

As to amusing, I find it amusing you say you liked Miranda less after 'looking bored' in an interview, yet you belittle a regard for personality :laugh:

I don't totally belittle a regard for personality. I only belittle the idea that someone would come to a forum dedicated to a profession based on people looking good in order to mainly appreciate personalities, just as I would belittle someone who goes to a party full of millionaires and says they're only looking for love. :p

I'm not sure how you even came away with the idea of someone listing something as 1/5 other totally different things as "only looking for it". It would make just as much sense to say someone who listed height as 1/5 was only looking for height, but its your world, good day ser :heythere: .

Interrestingly enough though, I didn't get into fashion to look at models. I got into fashion because I loved photography and later learned to appreciate models :) .

• 13 years later...