Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

18 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Finished 1/3rd of Brothers Karamazov.  

It is a strange audio experience.  Interesting, complicated and brilliant but also a novel that I cannot telegraph.   The structure is very non-linear and I am confused about a great many things.

It felt like that when I read War and Peace... :laugh: I had to read some pages twice or more to understand who did what, when, why?

Is it good?

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

It felt like that when I read War and Peace... :laugh: I had to read some pages twice or more to understand who did what, when, why?

Is it good?

I would describe it as a big work of philosophy disguised as entertaining prose.  So it's scene after scene of generally memorable & interesting character interactions- with philosophical depth- that don't follow a linear fashion.  I think it's probably one of those books that need to be read at least twice, with scenes  re-read several times and contemplated over a lot. 

This is typical of great films/tv shows and books, plays, etc. Brothers K is considered one of the great works of world literature and Dostoevsky's greatest novel.

So it is indeed a type of masterpiece. The non-linear manner reminds me of an open-world game, like Eden Ring / Witcher 3 where you discover fragments of what's going on but it's up the reader to piece things together into their own interpretation.

This is why when I wiki Brothers K. and also look at book reviews- pretty much every review is different.

do you like War and Peace?

It is a novel that I should do.

After doing 1/3rd of Brothers I realize that I need to do Crime & Punishment and The Idiot as well.

There are estimates that suggest up to 97% of Russia's operational military strength is currently in the Ukrainian theater. I find that hard to believe but there have been some weird instances of the kind of POWs the Ukrainian's have captured in recent weeks.

e.g. this:

Sailors being turned into infantrymen is not something a country that still has an overabundance of men chooses to do.

1 hour ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Right but even so, having a sailor repurposed as an infantryman is still very strange.

The key figure of mystery is the number of Ukrainian deaths and how much of their command cadre is not killed and crippled.

Russian command cadre is 3.5-4 times larger than the Ukrainian one and it likely that they inflicted several times higher human losses on the Ukrainians.