Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

^ in the movies/games about machines, which universe do you prefer: the one where machines and mankind fight (Matrix, Terminator, etc.), or, the one where mankind and the machine merge (Cyberpunk, Deus Ex, etc.)?

I prefer the merging.  My favorite Sci fi film is Blade Runner and favorite sci-fi game is probably Deus Ex Human revolution.

I am almost done with the preview chapters for Winds of Winter.  These were released up to 2015.  

The quality of these chapters are good but not legend-tier like parts of books 1-3.  The problem however is their impact is really muted as book 4 and 5 have completely lost the plot.  There is no tension or anticipation to these preview chapters as they seem to be unrelated threads and the constant procrastination/repetition has made my expectations really low.  I did learn a bit more about what will be in Winds of Winter but don't have enough to forecast a final act for the series.  

I think GRRM really screwed up the plot here.  The Song of Ice and Fire has approx. 160 hrs out of 200 hrs of great content but 40 hours of unsuccessful material.  I can understand the anger of the fans much more now that I've finished the books.  I think besides the lack of plot there is also the frustration that they spent so much time reading and anticipating.  

The Arya preview chapter in Winds is actually worse than the scenario in the show.  The show's Mummer's trope storyline was better than GRRM's chapter about it.

It is overall baffling to me why GRRM couldn't finish his story.  He had an amazing foundation and could have easily ended it in a satisfying way.  This incredible procrastination and over-writing in the last 2 books is quite strange.

16 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I prefer the merging.  My favorite Sci fi film is Blade Runner and favorite sci-fi game is probably Deus Ex Human revolution.

Deus Ex is awesome, indeed!

It would be great if they had a Cyberpunk-like budget to develop another game. :bounce:

5 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Deus Ex is awesome, indeed!

It would be great if they had a Cyberpunk-like budget to develop another game. :bounce:

I would have liked Cyberpunk better if they chose more likeable setting.  Like the Deus Ex Cop/Blade Runner vs all the criminals.  

Have you played the original (really old game)?  

On 1/11/2023 at 5:26 AM, Cult Icon said:

I would have liked Cyberpunk better if they chose more likeable setting.  Like the Deus Ex Cop/Blade Runner vs all the criminals.  

Have you played the original (really old game)?  

The first Deus Ex with JC Denton? Yes, of course, great game! Really impressive for its time.

Have you?

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

For those who dream of going to Paris after watching your Netflix show, this is what you'll likely find there: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnPwApeo-Y1/

:Amelie_wft::rolleyes::smoker:

Yep, I've saved you a flight ticket, an expensive hotel and 2 weeks of your lives. You're welcome :rofl::rofl::rofl::heythere:

New York City subways are a horrorshow everyday, used to see stuff like that all the time

what do you think Bioshock's take on Paris delusion?

14 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

New York City subways are a horrorshow everyday, used to see stuff like that all the time

I'm not surprised... most big cities have their fair share of crazies.

14 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

what do you think Bioshock's take on Paris delusion?

It's interesting. Elizabeth is an archetypal female character. She dreams of peace, love and celebration. She's full of feminine energy and her naivety is touching. I like these types of characters and she's a beautiful blue-eyed brunette.

Of course her naivety and casualness can only exist as she under the umbrella of her two fathers (the freedom father and the authoritarian father - as even her golden prison is a place that allows her to dream).

9 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

It's interesting. Elizabeth is an archetypal female character. She dreams of peace, love and celebration. She's full of feminine energy and her naivety is touching. I like these types of characters and she's a beautiful blue-eyed brunette.

Of course her naivety and casualness can only exist as she under the umbrella of her two fathers (the freedom father and the authoritarian father - as even her golden prison is a place that allows her to dream).

You remember more the story than I do.  The Prophet guy was her father?

In Burial at Sea she becomes a femme fatale.  I guess that's what happens to women when after they trail a badass (like Sarah Conor in Terminator/T2 lol).

Do you like Bioshock Infinite or Bioshock  1 better?

26 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

You remember more the story than I do.  The Prophet guy was her father?

In Burial at Sea she becomes a femme fatale.  I guess that's what happens to women when after they trail a badass (like Sarah Conor in Terminator/T2 lol).

Do you like Bioshock Infinite or Bioshock  1 better?

Booker was her real father. Comstock was Booker from another world, he just changed his name after he became a preacher. He takes Anna/Elizabeth (aka Booker's daughter), because he's unable to have a daughter in his world.

I haven't played Bioshock 1, but I know it and I prefer Bioshock infinite. I like the mix between Steampunk, quantum physics and Western tropes. And you?

12 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Booker was her real father. Comstock was Booker from another world, he just changed his name after he became a preacher. He takes Anna/Elizabeth (aka Booker's daughter), because he's unable to have a daughter in his world.

I haven't played Bioshock 1, but I know it and I prefer Bioshock infinite. I like the mix between Steampunk, quantum physics and Western tropes. And you?

Oh yeah, I remember now.  There was that different dimensions storyline.  

I played Bioshock 1.  In terms of gameplay I thought it was too twitchy for my taste but the game is quite old. They could actually remake it. 

In terms of story and lore, however, it's in my top 5 games.  The lore is extremely detailed and good, at the level of Witcher but short in comparison.  It is quite scary and philosophical/psychological and the game itself has an aesthetic that reminds me of the Tim Burton Batman movies, except underwater.

I also like the story, characters and lore of Bioshock 2 a lot.  I can't really choose between the two.  I like both games a lot but for me the lore and world of Bioshock 1 left a bigger impact.

Bioshock 2's world is very disney-fied but also awesome and horrifying at the same time.

The voice actress for Elizabeth is beautiful by the way and can sing.