Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

^  China was wrong and misleading, but a lot happened in other countries during the month after that which should have made them realize it was serious.

My main thought is that it's good to listen to the knowledgeable people. They are not perfect, but they are the best chance to understand what's happening.

I think other countries would've taken more precautions had China not suppressed that information. 

Yes many mistakes were made leading up to a point and many more will be made.

A few selections from a summary of a team of British scientists projections for the coronavirus:

"if we relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions"

"After the first suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by two more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could be better"

"the team estimated it will be about 18 months until a vaccine is available. During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low"

"It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working"

Just now, Matt! said:

66EF9AD1-CFBA-4E26-9947-FE3829D3A56A.jpeg

He was right on border security before this crisis and took shit for it from most of the world, now look at all the countries that closed their borders. :rofl:

I'm not trying to say he was right on everything and I agree with all his policies, he's like everyone else that has their hits and misses.

12 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

This article is pretty good and says we're in it for the long haul and will change the way we doing everything.

It'll interesting to see the stats after this current quarantine. Asia is doing pretty well supposedly.

It's really hard to imagine that it would take 18 months to create effective vaccine, since it took less than 10 months to create one against the swine flu.

2 minutes ago, Matt! said:

It'll interesting to see the stats after this current quarantine. Asia is doing pretty well supposedly.

It's really hard to imagine that it would take 18 months to create effective vaccine, since it took less than 10 months to create one against the swine flu.

It has to do with the couple to few big breakouts later after things have calmed down in the meantime.

I love science and I'm pretty much a science guy, but scientists don't know everything. It's impressive how knowledegeable they are compared to centuries ago, but there are lots of things  scientists don't know (particularly biologists and docs). I know a girl in epidemiology, it's a complicated field. Virus can mutate and without reliable data, it's hard to understand. China didn't provide many reliable data (to avoid the blame game), so it didn't help to understand this shit.:tumbleweed:

Also, there's always a balance to find between safety and economical/social issues. It's a very complicated problem, and scientists can't make this arbitrage: we elect and pay politicians, people with responsabilities, to do that. Their job is not easy.

Remember H1N1? France bought 90+ million vaccines (we are only 60 million) for NOTHING. People got angry against them, saying that they wasted money. Arbitrage is tough. Few people are cut out for this. There are always bad consequences in a choice. I don't blame our government. They did the best they could do. As for scientists, not all of them knew what was gonna happen. Far from it! (and they still don't know how it will evolve - though they are more knowledgeable now)

6 hours ago, jkjk said:

^  China was wrong and misleading, but a lot happened in other countries during the month after that which should have made them realize it was serious.

My main thought is that it's good to listen to the knowledgeable people. They are not perfect, but they are the best chance to understand what's happening.

Yes, they should listen to scientists and listen to them closely, but the politicians are still the ones who make the call. It's hard to find a balance between safety and economy.

In fact, governments often put a price on the value of a life to make decisions on public infrastructures, like road safety. Few people know that, but they have to do it in order to take decisions. It's hard but there's no other way. We need someone to call the shots :ermm:

1 hour ago, Matt! said:

66EF9AD1-CFBA-4E26-9947-FE3829D3A56A.jpeg

It's not that easy to make these decisions IMHO. I don't know about Sweden in 2009 with H1N1, but in France people were pissed about the government buying 90+ million vaccines for nothing.

Every public agency wants money and public spending, it's really hard to arbitrate.

As for "Orange man bad", I try to avoid any news about him, journalists lose half of their IQ when they deal with him :ninja:

35 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

I love science and I'm pretty much a science guy, but scientists don't know everything.

This is off the specific topic of this disease, but this sentence reminds me about one of the reason I appreciate scientists. The good ones, and the ones I listen to are willing to say they may be wrong. I have heard some version of this from many scientists "Based on the data we have, this is how we interpret this situation. With new data, we are willing to change any conclusions we have."

Back to the virus: because it's a new virus, the situation is changing very fast and the scientists are having to change things constantly.