Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

I had Toshikoshi Soba with soy-sauce broth for the first time today.  This is traditionally consumed by the Japanese on their New Year's   the noodles are made from buckwheat and I had fresh ones.

It's salty and bland.  I don't recommend it.  The noodles are decent if used in a different context.

toshikoshi-soba-2-of-2.jpgToshikoshi+Soba

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0000814/

Toshikoshi soba is one of Japan’s unique New Year’s customs, and the delicious buckwheat noodles are enjoyed directly on New Year’s Eve. The history of this curious tradition dates back around 800 years, to the Kamakura period, and it is said that it all started at one Buddhist temple that gave soba to poor people on New Year’s. In the Edo period, these New Year’s noodles, or toshikoshi soba, eventually turned into a fixed custom done by people all over Japan – even today.

But why do people eat soba on New Year’s? To say it with two little words: good fortune. Compared to ramen and other pasta enjoyed in Japan, soba are rather firm to the bite, and easy to break while eating. Thus, soba symbolize “breaking off the old year.” Their thin, long shape is also synonymous with a long and healthy life! Toshikoshi soba do also serve a very practical purpose, though: as the majority of Japanese head to a temple or shrine at midnight of New Year’s Eve, the easily digestible buckwheat noodles make for a very good late night and early morning snack!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

This cook from Taiwan has pretty good recipies of French cakes

I've eaten from a lot of Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese bakeries and the thing that stood out for me is how focused on appearance their baked goods are, and the much low sugar content and sometimes the general flavor.  Very texture oriented in the experience.

TBH it's not that good compared to good Western baked goods but better than some of the typical overly sweet american stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...