Bellazon

Football

goose

Good to see Chris Coleman's punditry skills evolving post-World Cup. Criticised in various media outlets and by any viewer with an IQ above a newt for his tedious insistence that "you won't see a better goal than all tournament" seven times a game, the Welsh managerial maestro (currently out of management) really raised his game for today's traditional season curtain raiser, the Community Shield.

So what did the deeply articulate ex-Crystal Palace talisman say when Antonio Valencia scored his decent goal to make it 1-0 to Man U?

"You won't see a better goal than that all season!"

Then, less than an hour later, Berbatov makes 3-1 to seal the victory.

So then, penny for your thoughts, Chris?

*drumroll*

"You won't see a better finish than that all season!"

Money. For. Old. Rope.

Some very odd goings on at the good old Stadium of Light yesterday. In the biggest bolt out of the blue since he joined us, club captain Lorik Cana ups sticks for Galatasaray, and now Sol Campbell appears to be headed our way. Wah? :wacko:

Hey Michael. Are you a Sunderland fan? I'm a Galatasaray supporter and I need to know everything you know about Cana :D

I know he was a master in Ligue 1 and then got the captaincy in Sunderland etc, but I lost track of him over last season. How do you rate him? In Gala's pre-season matches he's been absolutely awful. He creates nothing for the team, and all he does is foul people!

So far so bad, for €5m :ninja:

And congrats on getting Mensah back M*. A season long loan for €500,000 ain't too bad, and if he plays more than 25 games you guys could snap him up for < €5m :o :yes:

But we've also bought Titus Bramble. Swings and roundabouts! :persuazn:

Good to see Chris Coleman's punditry skills evolving post-World Cup. Criticised in various media outlets and by any viewer with an IQ above a newt for his tedious insistence that "you won't see a better goal than all tournament" seven times a game, the Welsh managerial maestro (currently out of management) really raised his game for today's traditional season curtain raiser, the Community Shield.

How much do you suppose the average pundit gets paid, Fred? I find it hard to imagine a TV producer sitting in some studio, screaming "get Chris Coleman on the phone and pay him whatever he wants, we can't do the Community Shield without him!" at his secretary. :laugh:

Hey Michael. Are you a Sunderland fan? I'm a Galatasaray supporter and I need to know everything you know about Cana :D

I know he was a master in Ligue 1 and then got the captaincy in Sunderland etc, but I lost track of him over last season. How do you rate him? In Gala's pre-season matches he's been absolutely awful. He creates nothing for the team, and all he does is foul people!

So far so bad, for €5m :ninja:

I am indeed a Sunderland fan (someone has to be! :cry2:). To be honest with you, Cana's a bit of an odd one. I could never really work him out during the time we had him. He arrived to considerable fanfare, started off brilliantly and was made captain within weeks of joining. Then over the winter, we had a disastrous run of results mirroring his own dramatic dip in form. From January onwards, various injuries and suspensions led to extended runs for academy lads Jordan Henderson and David Meyler, who both looked the part in midfield, keeping Cana, Cattermole and Zenden out of the team. When Cana eventually came back for the last few games (by which time our season was all but over), he looked bored and decidedly overweight, and it was fairly obvious that his heart was no longer in it. I'm reluctant to judge him too harshly after what was very much a season of transition for club and player alike, but overall he proved to be something of an anti-climax for us. I strongly suspect he saw Sunderland as a stepping stone to a bigger Premier League club but instead found English football too demanding, despite his aggressive all-action style. If he's fully committed to the cause, he'll be a good asset for Galatasaray as a midfield enforcer or at a push, a central defender (he's superb in the air, though probably a bit wild to play regularly at the back). From an attacking perspective, he doesn't offer much but he's a fearless and ferocious competitor who'll put his head where the boots are flying and tackle anything that moves.

I'm reposting this YouTube vid of his greatest hits - incidentally, do be prepared for him to be suspended quite a bit... :ninja:

How much do you suppose the average pundit gets paid, Fred? I find it hard to imagine a TV producer sitting in some studio, screaming "get Chris Coleman on the phone and pay him whatever he wants, we can't do the Community Shield without him!" at his secretary. :laugh:

I assume he's now on contract as I've already heard his harsh gravely tones twice since the World Cup, though maybe he is still called in on a game by game basis. Southgate seemed to be freelance during last season 'til ITV stepped in and made him a paragon of primetime, so there's clearly a loot to made from this racket (though in fairness to Gareth, he has a few A Levels, making him a genius compared to his colleagues). I suppose its commercial television so at least its not our money paying Coleman's salary, unlike Alan "well, to be honest Gary we don't much about these two teams" Shearer.

Incidentally, a few years back it was said to me that those Sky Sports News in studio interviews with newspaper columnists/Gerry Francis were worth £200 a pop. Not sure if these challenging economic times have brought that figure down a bit but it makes you wonder!*

*it doesn't make you wonder.

Well we're fucked now, then. Less than a week before the start of the <word so bad I won't type it in, just in case it makes some 14 year-old admin cry> season, too. If we get Sven or some other crook I'll not go all season (maybe).

What a shambles. I thought we were the good guys.

Word on the grapevine from our pre-season tour was pretty toxic. Fine, then. Off you go. In May, that is because that's when it was clear that something was going wrong. Instead they spun out some vague pleasantry exchanging press release and now after months of NOTHING, we're potentially losing the entire foundation of the club (Martin + staff + Milner + Young) with days until we start the season, not to mention play in Europe. Whatever emerges, its hard to sympathise with any side of the fence when such blatant disregard has been shown to the people who stick it out no matter what, namely, idiots like me. My instinctive thought was that Randy has completely ballsed this up and that Martin leaving is an absolute travesty. I'm sure there's many more shades of grey to this fiasco but whatever the outcome, everyone involved looks like a clown right now.

Anyone know if City have made a bid for Marc Albrighton yet?

Speaking of fat chance of winning the league, OUTPLAYED BY SPURS ON THE FIRST DAY OH DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR.

Speaking of fat chance of running faster than a tortoise, Gareth Barry.

And finally, good to see Little Joey Cole make such a strong impression so early on in the season. Nice lad and all but you just know he's a spent force*.

*stupid first day of the season hysterical condemnation

** or astute thinking by learned prophet

Option two gets my vote - Sky Sports' wall to wall Joe Cole love-in bugs me no end. He's totally ineffective and has been for yonks.

Fingers crossed for a Rooney hat-trick against the Mags tomorrow evening. Purely in the interest of my Fantasy League team, of course (honest!) :whistle:

So, that was the first week of Fantasy...and I'm alrighty frustrated. Richards was my 3rd sub :cry:

Anyway, eNe and Baron you should both join the head to head league as well! I might reset the leagues to start at Week 2 to make it fair for the new comer (sorry eNe :p)