Bellazon

Football

goose

Ignorant American here,

Did the friendly US vs. Argentina draw mean anything?

In the grand scheme of things, your average friendly doesn't mean much beyond pride and mild bragging rights. It's essentially a chance for the coach to experiment with team selection, tactics and whatnot - usually in preparation for a major tournament (in the USA's case, this summer's Gold Cup competition).

zomg wtf happened :blink:

So Herve, 5 Classicos in one season :| Champions League tie should be sweet though.

Apparently some football reporters are depressed at the thought of four Classicos in about two weeks time. :D

April 16th: La Liga game at the Bernabeu

April 20th: final of the Copa del Rey

April 27th: first leg of CL tie

May 3rd: second leg of CL tie

Is it possible to grow tired of Barça-Real? I guess we will find out!

Looks like Brucey's staging a late bid for the bottom half of the table...or worse! Clearly Bent leaving has left a huge void, but then if you're shifting three at home to Albion then there's surely a bit more to it than just that. What's happening, Michael?!

Clean sheet, three points! West Ham away next week, which version of Avram's side will show up? And as for us...hmm!

Looks like Brucey's staging a late bid for the bottom half of the table...or worse! Clearly Bent leaving has left a huge void, but then if you're shifting three at home to Albion then there's surely a bit more to it than just that. What's happening, Michael?!

The good news for us is that if Roy's boys are as good as safe on 39, we're virtually home and dry on 38. A relatively easy run-in to finish the season should see us pick up the remaining few points we need to ensure survival.

The bad news is that when you start the calendar year amid talk of pushing for Europe, escaping the drop isn't exactly cause for celebration. I put last season's rather alarming tailspin down to the high turnover of personnel at the club, but we've completely collapsed again at what was supposed to be a time of relative stability, while Bruce has the exact same shot-to-pieces look about him that he had then. There are simply far too many gaping holes in the squad and overall, I saw precious little resolve to plug any of them during the window. We seemed to spend most of our energies in January trying to squeeze more money out of Villa for Bent and indeed, probably would have sent Henderson packing if a generous offer had come in.

So where do we go from here? Well, I do like Bruce and will (within reason) stick to my plan of judging him at the end of this campaign, although the prospect of every season being a capitulation waiting to happen doesn't appeal at all.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the table, another team is collapsing (like the season before!). But instead of addressing the problem, they are calling their campaign "successful" because they tried their darndest!