Bellazon

The 2007 Sport Illustrated Swimsuit discussion

anna89

i'm not necessarily "outraged" as much as i am just downright disgusted.

i think that beyonce is one of the most stunning women on Earth, i'll say it over and over again. she's near perfection. but she's not a MODEL. and this was really one of the final places where celebs hadn't taken the limelight away from models. but now, it's goddamn beyonce on the cover, one of the most ubiquitous celebs in existence.

there are SO many models who would have been a better choice and who would have sold just as many copies. i basically loathe Marisa Miller, but i definitely would've rather seen her on the cover. why? because she's earned it. she's a model and she's worked for SI for the past several years.

ANY of VS's top girls would have worked perfectly. KK, Adriana, Gisele ... come on?!!? they're perfect for swimsuits and with someone like KK or even Selita or Alessandra, landing the cover of this issue would have launched them into "Superstar" status.

it's discouraging and i am certainly NOT buying the issue. no way in hell.

It's just a cover! I mean, there's nothing to be Outraged about. If you wanna be outraged about something, be outraged about the fact that every 3 seconds a child dies of diarrhea because there is no decent water. <_<

if everytime we felt anger about something in our lives we compared it to the plights of those who are desperately more unfortunate than we are --- we would spend our entire lives de-valuing our emotions and feeling nothing but guilt for our circumstantial existence. to compare being angry about something like this to starving or malnourished children is not only ridiculous, but also so bizarrely self-righteous it's not even funny. if you truly care so deeply about those causes, why are you wasting your time posting on such an absurdly superficial web forum? exactly. NEXT.

It's just a cover! I mean, there's nothing to be Outraged about. If you wanna be outraged about something, be outraged about the fact that every 3 seconds a child dies of diarrhea because there is no decent water. <_<

if every time we felt anger about something in our lives we compared it to the plights of those who are desperately more unfortunate than we are --- we would spend our entire lives de-valuing our emotions and feeling nothing but guilt for our circumstantial existence. to compare being angry about something like this to starving or malnourished children is not only ridiculous, but also so bizarrely self-righteous it's not even funny. if you truly care so deeply about those causes, why are you wasting your time posting on such an absurdly superficial web forum? exactly. NEXT.

Yeah, ofcourse that sounded ridiculous. :laugh: You shouldn't take most of my comments seriously (except when they're about ED's, but that's an entirely different subject.) I meant it more as a sarcastic remark to point out that the word 'outraged' isn't in place. I mean, I can understand that people who have been looking forward to this issue are disappointed to find out that the models they expected were replaced by yet another overrated star. But really outraged? That's like using the term suicidal when you break one of your nails

You shouldn't let one magazine ruin your whole day. That's all I'm saying.

But since you're definitely not the stupid one around here and I'm still an utter disaster with smilies I take it you're not the only who missed that...

Ahhh, well, before my ramble turns too cheesy and people get touchy, (like what often happens on subjects where so many ppl have different opinions on; the Adriana breast implant discussion anyone? :whistle: ) I think I'm going over to the more "important" topics such as "do you shave your pubic hair" ;)

And quit the smilies.

Oh why look at the haters, don't be silly! Beyonce is one of the Top 5 most famous women in the world, she's 20 times more famous than any obsessed boring supermodel on this site. SI knows what they;re doing, Beyonce is a money-making machine, she is awesome, she's the most beautiful woman in the world to many, she is an AMAZING talent, she's the most complete female musician in the world, there is no more talented female musician in this age. Just another great and awesome project from Beyonce. She has the most successful song in the world at the moment, Irreplaceable, hitting number 1 in so many countries, as well as the most talked about movie, 10 Grammy awards, and now the the most famous cover of a magazine, she is simply unstoppable!

Oh why look at the haters, don't be silly! Beyonce is one of the Top 5 most famous women in the world, she's 20 times more famous than any obsessed boring supermodel on this site. SI knows what they;re doing, Beyonce is a money-making machine, she is awesome, she's the most beautiful woman in the world to many, she is an AMAZING talent, she's the most complete female musician in the world, there is no more talented female musician in this age. Just another great and awesome project from Beyonce. She has the most successful song in the world at the moment, Irreplaceable, hitting number 1 in so many countries, as well as the most talked about movie, 10 Grammy awards, and now the the most famous cover of a magazine, she is simply unstoppable!

OK...thank you for giving the low down of her career, yes while no one can deny she's famous and has some amount of talent *INSERT EYE ROLL HERE!*, that's not what we are discussing.

SI has never been the one to say who's popular and who's got a number one single, I think your getting that confused with Rolling Stone. SI, has been a staple along with Victoria Secret for a model's career. Let's face it people once you get the cover for SI your career has pretty much been made.

Ana Beatriz barros & Marissa Miller have been in the catalog for years now, and I don't care how you look at it, this was TOTALLY STOLEN from them.

That's YOUR OPINION Can't stand Beyonce <insert MOO here>

I'm sorry, I'd rather see the cover go to a model who's WORKED for it, then the over rated tenament howler Beyonce any day.

God I'm growing tiresome of this "hater" BS, and by tiresome I mean I'd like to punch the next person that says. "quit yer hatin".

OK...thank you for giving the low down of her career, yes while no one can deny she's famous and has some amount of talent *INSERT EYE ROLL HERE!*, that's not what we are discussing.

SI has never been the one to say who's popular and who's got a number one single, I think your getting that confused with Rolling Stone. SI, has been a staple along with Victoria Secret for a model's career. Let's face it people once you get the cover for SI your career has pretty much been made.

Ana Beatriz barros & Marissa Miller have been in the catalog for years now, and I don't care how you look at it, this was TOTALLY STOLEN from them.

AMEN ! I agree with everything you said. :yes:

I'm sorry, I'd rather see the cover go to a model who's WORKED for it, then the over rated tenament howler Beyonce any day.

God I'm growing tiresome of this "hater" BS, and by tiresome I mean I'd like to punch the next person that says. "quit yer hatin".

I'm tired of this idea that mutli-millionaires are being 'robbed' by not getting on the cover of a mag.

I don't understand. I just don't get it.

SI picked a woman that many people find attractive to be on the cover. They're giving the subscribers what they want.

They put attractive women in the issue. That's why they pick models. It's never going to be anything but superficial.

True, they generally pick women with a 'classier' look than, say, the breast-implanted butterfaces from Stuff or all those mags.

That's because that's what people who get the issue want.

Why do they have an obligation to give it to a multi-millionaire model over a multi-millionaire singer? Because they traditionally put models in there? Big deal.

This was never about 'hard work.' It's about attractive women in skimpy clothes. If it were about who worked the hardest they would have had an obligation to give it to Mother Theresa in the 90s.

THE ONLY SINGLE COVER that really matters for a MODEL's career.

huh right... in your playboy world maybe ? :p

:laugh: :laugh: thanks, taben.

but seriously, i understand that a Vogue or W cover (for example) is incredibly significant in a model's career. i'm not a complete idiot. give me some credit here. however, if a model lands the cover of the SI Swimsuit issue, it automatically guarantees a tremendous amount of press and attention throughout all of the men's magazines, talk-shows, etc. these are the things that a model with a strong personality can use to turn themselves into a successful brand and become an internationally famous supermodel. (see Tyra, Heidi, Rebecca, etc). sure, there are always models like Elsa Benitez who, while gorgeous, lack that *oomph* that would turn them into a household name. but nonetheless, if a model with a whole lotta charisma and success within the high fashion world, like say Karolina Kurkova or Daria Werbowy, landed the SI cover --- it would most certainly bring their fame, and thus fortune and thus SUPERMODEL STATUS to a new, higher level. how many Vogue covers does Daria have? zillions. How famous is she? exactly. if she were on this magazines cover, it would mean the world of difference to her career longevity and financial status. ergo, it would ultimately be the one cover that really truly matters, because it would launch her to a new level. who was Heidi Klum before she was a SI cover model?

Why should the SE's readers (and I use that term lightly) care about the degree of financial/fame/fortune success that models happen to have? Why should SI in general care?

The readers want to see pretty women in swimsuits.

The mag wants to sell issues.

Many men find Beyonce pretty and will buy the mag because of it.

These are people who have their job because they were born pretty. I'm sure there's hard work in it too, but these aren't coal miners or sweatshop workers in Malaysia. So they'd get richer if they landed the cover ------- so what???

I find, say, Ana BB to be prettier than Beyonce (at least facially, not body-wise, but I digress) but....so what?

SI wasn't ever helping out destitute women by putting them on the cover. They picked women that look pretty and photographed well. That's it. That's why the issue is around.

Worked?

If you're a model, you're a model because you happened to be born pretty. You won a piece of the genetic lottery.

Sure, doing shows and working out might not be simple but it's not neurosurgery or sewing up shoes for a cent a week in China.

Beyonce worked at her job - she makes the bland, unimaginative pop music that people swallow up constantly and has done it for years. She happens to have been born with a pretty face and thighs that get men's hearts racing.

Ana Baros happens to have been born with a pretty face and a body many guys like.

In the end, that's why people get picked for this issue.