Bellazon

2020 SI Swimsuit

...... oh

SI has smashed the barriers that we have all been accustomed to for far too long. They have given the world an inside look at what it would look like if we brought Inclusivity to the forefront. EVERY woman is fierce, we are to be valued, to be seen, and to be heard, and they have created space for just that. This magazine has evolved beyond just taking beautiful photos, it is the changes that emerge from the audience seeing themselves reflected in those photos. To be a part of something so groundbreaking and history making is an absolute honor.” - @huntermcgrady

KEKW

40 minutes ago, Prettyphile said:

They have given the world an inside look at what it would look like if we brought Inclusivity to the forefront.

They sure showed the world what happens when you bring Inclusivity and almost nothing else.

This magazine has evolved beyond just taking beautiful photos,

Indeed, they are so involved that they have left the beautiful photos behind.

A few years down the road people who will take in their hands photos of the 50+ years of SI photographs will wonder what were they thinking???? And no I'm not talking about Kate, she is marvelous.

17 hours ago, Schemer said:

All this "inclusion" won't mean anything unless the sale numbers go up. Magazines are bleeding money and I can't imagine SI is doing any better.

It probably isn't because they're trying to throw away its primary audience and trying to transition it seems from being a magazine about sexy and beautiful pictures of women to swoon over, to something else. I mean above this post the pictures from Kate Powers look more like they're for a campaign than what they are supposed to be.

I mean SI Swimsuit ends up being replaces by the Treats Swimsuit Issue that is fine because Steve Shaw hires better photographers anyway.

I've been saying for years that SI was moving away from being a men's magazine. It's more or less a money grab  for them now as they went from showcasing indie designers doing it for free exposure (and sending them thousands of suits in the process only to not get them back... the level of shade I could tell you about), to companies like Nike paying to be in the magazine... As they shifted away from a Men's magazine and moved towards woman - SI Magazine became a glorified Swimsuit Catalog.

I spoke with Kesler and he thinks that the reason the pictures look back is 90% editing and again a shift in more basic posing/pictures. They're trying to sell the swimsuits, not the sexy models.

image.png

image.png

On 7/15/2020 at 11:14 AM, Prettyphile said:

I've been saying for years that SI was moving away from being a men's magazine. It's more or less a money grab  for them now as they went from showcasing indie designers doing it for free exposure (and sending them thousands of suits in the process only to not get them back... the level of shade I could tell you about), to companies like Nike paying to be in the magazine... As they shifted away from a Men's magazine and moved towards woman - SI Magazine became a glorified Swimsuit Catalog.

I spoke with Kesler and he thinks that the reason the pictures look back is 90% editing and again a shift in more basic posing/pictures. They're trying to sell the swimsuits, not the sexy models.

image.png

image.png

I am not disagreeing with you. I’d just like to point out that this makes no sense as a business strategy. SI is a magazine for men.  And while I know there are women who love sports enough to consume SI content, the fact is men are the overwhelming demographic they serve.

And there is no brand without SI in front of swimsuit. And there is no SI without men. Trying to sell SI to women is a fools errand.