Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

21 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

It's a RELIGION now.

Sure, it's a religion and I hate them for that, because there are a lot of rational and important things to do for the environment.

You know what some French "media personality" recently said? Those who disagree with the fact that Greta is an "icon" are.... (you guessed it) "old male iditos" :rofl:

https://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/pour-yann-arthus-bertrand-greta-thunberg-a-entierement-raison-et-ses-detracteurs-sont-un-paquet-de-vieux-cons-1189253.html

Basically you're sexist and a vile member of the patriarchy if you disagree with them. Always the same stupid rhetoric. :banghead:

15 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

Sheeple love a good sound bite/ click bait tag line and to form their opinions based on it. 

:blink:

Accurate. We need to pull ourselves together as a species. It's like we've been collectively sinking into mass hysteria recently. :ermm:

Just now, Stromboli1 said:

Yep and social media makes things even worse.

Agreed! While social media can be fun and  friendly, it can, and often does, distill us down to our terrible behaviors. It turns us ugly, bitter and shows us how negative we can be. Spiteful and venomous.

I know that not everyone is like that, and 

”If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all,” needs to become our mantra, it’s Something that has been lost as a whole. 

Looking back to all I can remember, when the term and ideaology Politically Correct first hit us, most of us thought it was a dumbass idea. 

It has insinuated itself into our minds, making us think that it should be the normal way to live and breathe. 

30+ years later, it is still a bad idea. And it’s growing bigger each day.

:confused:

5 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

No worries, it means that you have critical thinking. That's becoming rarer these days :laugh:

Very rare.

6 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Nuclear is a very competitive source of energy and it's a great technology against CO2 (when Germany closed all their nuke plants, their CO2 emissions skyrocketted, because they used coal instead)...

... but solar panels are very competitive in areas with a lot of sun, like Spain, Australia or Chile (production costs can be below 30 $/MWh, which is very cheap). Sure, they generate additional costs on the grid due to the intermittency, but a fair share of solar on a power grid (and in places with a lot of sun exposure) is often economical.

The panels, installation, and new interface are expensive for home owners, sure they get tax breaks. If they can limit transitional costs with low energy cost for home owners it would be done by now.

18 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Solar panels are mostly made out of silicon which is one of the most abundant element in the earth's crust (usually in the form of SiO2, aka silica, which is what most sands are made of). The fossil fuels used to extract and transport all these materials are minimal (and the carbon footprint is usually very small).

If tou talk about batteries (storage), yes there's an issue of raw materials, but you don't need batteries for solar panels that are connected to a grid.

Countries with large populations will have a large carbon footprint in the beginning.

Individual household batteries vs grid will be an issue. Would you rather be self sufficient or still beholden to the local government/state/province/country?

Also what countries have these minerals too, cough cough Afghanistan. 

24 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Not really, you don't have to switch massively from one thing to another. A power system should be a balance of different types of energies (which should include nuke, hydro, solar, wind, and a little bit of natural gas - depending on the place, country and ressources available)

Solar was expensive twenty years ago, not now. The prices have dropped significantly.

Some presidential candidates in America want to shut down gas, oil, fracking, coal, etc production right away. The economy and infrastructure can't handle a sudden transition. 

Still needs to be cheaper for the working families.

29 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Sure, it's a religion and I hate them for that, because there are a lot of rational and important things to do for the environment.

You know what some French "media personality" recently said? Those who disagree with the fact that Greta is an "icon" are.... (you guessed it) "old male iditos" :rofl:

https://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/pour-yann-arthus-bertrand-greta-thunberg-a-entierement-raison-et-ses-detracteurs-sont-un-paquet-de-vieux-cons-1189253.html

Basically you're sexist and a vile member of the patriarchy if you disagree with them. Always the same stupid rhetoric. :banghead:

It's all about money and power right now.

Using a kid is a political tactic though.

How dare you criticize a child? :laugh:

32 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

^ BTW, the same guy (Yann Arthus-Bertrand) vouched for Qatar to organize the football world cup. Qatar has the highest CO2 emissions per capita!!! :banghead: (and their stadiums will have air conditionning in the desert... How crazy is that??)

FIFA looks the other way all the time.

Don't understand the reasons you'll hear stories about Qatar, then they die down and pick back up. Weird cycle

24 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

Looking back to all I can remember, when the term and ideaology Politically Correct first hit us, most of us thought it was a dumbass idea. 

It has insinuated itself into our minds, making us think that it should be the normal way to live and breathe. 

30+ years later, it is still a bad idea. And it’s growing bigger each day.

:confused:

Before this summer, I was hoping that things would be better. I was thinking "mass hysteria can't be long-lasting", things will get better in the end, because PC is an ogre that eats up its children, ...

... but I was wrong. Things are much worse since this summer. The media has lost it, many brands are getting woke, but I'm really worried when I see kids that are in college (particularly human sciences). They completely lack critical thinking (and they are the future of our countries)  :noexpression: