Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

I finished listening to this audiobook over the weekend:

Everything she says is correct to me, and also (mostly) politically incorrect.   I find it interesting as a public intellectual, she must claim to have a "gender neutral" stance when the contents of her talks and 2 books are anything but.  She knows evolutionary psychology but will not admit this in her writings, which are completely inline with the sharp differences between male and female psychology.  Like the rest of popular media on relationships, the subtext is very biased towards the primal needs of women and makes little inclination to encourage them into taking responsibility for the quality of their thinking and desires .  She does not criticize the female emotional spectrum (*which evolved tens of thousands of years ago and lacks relevance in modern life, and imposes enormous costs to men and society). The man is still, as always, a draft horse that has to continuously expend resources/seduce the woman in a long term relationship.  He has to "man up" while the woman gets a free ride and is responsible for most breakups and 82% of divorce filings.  The women has comparably little to contribute to the man's happiness and the prosperity of herself and her children is primary.

She has some parts where she gives women some responsibility for being attractive (such as keeping down their weight) to disinterested/cheating men but she conveniently doesn't mention that these are higher value, attractive men.  Average and below average men will not often not find themselves in this situation.  She has decades of experience counseling in NYC and it's largely with upper class and upper-middle class couples and not the uneducated, middle class, and poor.

This emoticon annoys me:

:chicken:

Makes no sense at all/ nonsense

:chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:

What is this supposed to mean? Extra super duper excited?  Never matches what was written.

:ninja:

This one is bad too- I call it the "coward" emoticon.  Generally used to soften the impact of a statement.

:banghead:

Beating a 'dead horse' is much better than this one.  Another "coward" emoticon that's always misused

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One is enough, why use 3-4 of them?  Rarely matches the impact of what was written.

Also, the use of :rofl: at the end of a witticism- it seems almost like an insecurity.  It's saying:  " I don't know if what I'm writing is funny, but if I use :rofl:, in the manner of laugh track for an unfunny TV show, I can now hedge my bets...you'll have to laugh due to peer pressure now"

I have a bad habit of doing this from time to time.