Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

^

Red meat is very bad, chicken and fish are healthy to an extent.

Extreme caloric density, carbs and fats are a sticking point with western cuisine and they could learn from the East, which tend to chop up ingredients and make materials really stretch.  They also tend to stir fry instead of deep fry.    Eg. the western practice of eating entire cuts of meat is considered wasteful to the Chinese (Chinese fast food is fake Chinese food), normally they would eat a small amount and chop it into very thin pieces.

Another aspect that can be learned from parts of Chinese cuisine (particularly from the North) is how they frequently stir fry vegetables, spices, and small pieces of meat together.  So you end up having "beef" or "pork" flavored green peas, cabbages, and other vegetables, which make them very palatable.  They are also softened by the stir-frying process.

These methods can be used to eat "gamey" animals like Deer, rabbits, etc. and with some adjustments, can be quite palatable.

I listened to the audiobook Ikaigai which is about the longest lived people in the first world- the Okinawans.  They have the largest number of people over 100 years.  They've been studied due to this phenomenon.   Some aspects of their diet are interesting:  They are small people, who only consume 1700 calories a day on average.  The diet is composed of seafood and a large proportion of vegetables.  they only eat seafood meat a few times a week.  They consume a high diversity of vegetables.  They do a lot of walking and light exercise.  Also, they lead productive but low stress lives that is linked to their spiritual philosophy.  There is a strong sense of community and strong relationship ties with friends & family, which generates a lot of positive emotional chemicals.  So in sum, the convergence of these traits significantly lengthen their life.

Old-people-montage-okinawa-Japan-jose-je

I see Fast Food and Casual Dining particularly dominating the highways and places with lower population density and income.  They also saturate America's malls.  I don't know how prevalent "casual dining' is in Europe but I don't like it, although it's not bad like fast food.  If you eat at TGIF , Olive Garden, chilis, applebees, ruby's etc. you're guaranteed a very average and forgettable meal- usually served in excessive portions (2 entrees that are really enough for 3 people).  The menu items are also very bland and the same all around.   On the positive end, they are more economical in their processes so you won't end up eating at a Diner somewhere that's a rip off/crap.  On the negative end, they shut out private restaurateurs due to their corporate muscle.   

The only good casual dining chain to me is Longhorn Steakhouse and Bahama Breeze. The latter is mostly in florida.

bahama-breeze.jpg

On 8/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, frenchkiki said:

The average work week in France is 35 hours and we have 5 weeks vacation.

In USA you live for your work and in France we work to have a life (which mean spare time fun & VACATIONS!!) 

And i love eating at McDonald. it's good in France.

Let them dream, but not too much: 35 hours = legal work! 41 hours in reality and 51 hours for those who are self employed (ceux qui travaillent à leur compte)

http://www.lepoint.fr/emploi/temps-de-travail-en-europe-les-vrais-chiffres-11-05-2017-2126545_30.php

http://dares.travail-emploi.gouv.fr/dares-etudes-et-statistiques/statistiques-de-a-a-z/article/la-duree-individuelle-du-travail

The 5 weeks vacations are wonderful!  They have a sweet taste right now! :Dinah:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, Cult Icon said:

I like this scene- well acted and it was moving the first time I saw it.  It's a common trope in drama and religious ideals. 

But this scenario of a good looking woman waiting 16 years for a man that she marginally knew is so idealistic as to be insulting.  

More like 16 weeks or 16 months at the very most......

But somehow this idealism still holds fascination and attraction ! Something deep inside of us wishes it could be true.

On a related subject I find this type of movie (Romeo and Juliet style) to be very sick yet  appealing at the same time.  Overall, it sends a harmful message to people:

attachment-image-25ebcaf2-ed59-4346-9dac

"MRS. SOFFEL: In 1901 a thief (Mel Gibson) who’s committed murder awaits execution. The wife of the prison warden (Diane Keaton) decides to save his soul for God. She reads Bible quotations to him, hoping that when he’s hanged he’ll go to heaven and not hell. They are attracted. She engineers his jailbreak, then joins him. On the run they make love, but only once. As the authorities close in, she realizes he’s about to die and decides to die with him: “Shoot me,” she begs him, “I don’t want to live a day beyond you.” He pulls the trigger but only wounds her. In the Resolution, she’s imprisoned for life, but goes into her cell proudly, virtually spitting in the eye of her jailer."

"Mrs. Soffel seems to flit from choice to choice, but we sense that underneath her changes of mind is the powerful unconscious desire for a transcendent, absolute, romantic experience of such intensity that if nothing ever happened to her again it wouldn’t matter… because for one sublime moment she will have lived. Mrs. Soffel is the ultimate romantic."

another one (related to my earlier post)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_Venice

The work presents a great writer suffering writer's block who visits Venice and is liberated, uplifted, and then increasingly obsessed, by the sight of a stunningly beautiful youth. Though he never speaks to the boy, much less touches him, the writer finds himself drawn deep into ruinous inward passion; meanwhile, Venice, and finally, the writer himself, succumb to a cholera plague.

Death_in_Venice_Poster.jpg