Bellazon

Trumpland U.S.A

Cult Icon

40 minutes ago, VS19 said:

If Trump were actually serious about getting rid of the waste, fraud, and abuse and about getting all of the spending under control, he'd look to the Pentagon and the Department of Defense.  We spend more on defense and the military than the next 7 or 8 largest militaries in the world combined.  In a world where combat is more nuanced and doesn't necessitate having vast armies, but rather more highly specialized, yet smaller, units in addition to cutting-edge technology and drone warfare, the budget should be shrinking, not expanding in the way that Trump proposes it should.  

I totally agree with you! :thumbs_up: However I think the issues is slightly more complex b/c the mentality of having a large military is very culture based. 

Just now, PinkCouture said:

I totally agree with you! :thumbs_up: However I think the issues is slightly more complex b/c the mentality of having a large military is very culture based. 

The large military is indeed very embedded within the American cultural psyche.  Much like it is with many things American, it's always bigger is better.  The problem with the GOP argument is that, even if they were to make drastic cuts to the military and/or Defense Department, we'd most likely still have the largest military in the world.  Massive cuts could be made and still achieve the goals that the GOP claim to stand for: fiscal responsibility and defense.  

24 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

This thread has taken a turn from the far right wing to the left wing:rofl:

To veer us back to the Right (bonus: article from FOX News!)...

Trump to name Conway's husband to lead Justice's civil division

President Trump is expected to name George Conway, husband of White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway, to lead the Justice Department’s civil division, Fox News confirmed Sunday. Conway, a New York lawyer, if appointed would lead efforts to defend Trump’s travel ban and other lawsuits against the Trump administration.

The 53-year-old Conway attended Harvard University and Yale Law School. He is now a partner in the New York City firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, specializing in litigation, including those related to securities and mergers and acquisitions.Trump’s choice of Conway was first reported by The Wall Street Journal. Two sources confirmed the story to Fox News.

Kellyanne Conway took over as Trump’s presidential campaign manager in August 2016 and is considered a major factor in him pulling off a come-from-behind win. Conway has since joined the administration as counselor to the president. The Justice Department’s civil division has far-reaching scope and jurisdiction, representing the entire U.S. government -- from federal agencies to members of Congress -- in civil and criminal matters. The division also handled national policy issues, which would likely mean it would be involved in the president’s travel bans that are being held up in federal courts across the country.

foxnews.com

Just now, VS19 said:

The large military is indeed very embedded within the American cultural psyche.  Much like it is with many things American, it's always bigger is better.  The problem with the GOP argument is that, even if they were to make drastic cuts to the military and/or Defense Department, we'd most likely still have the largest military in the world.  Massive cuts could be made and still achieve the goals that the GOP claim to stand for: fiscal responsibility and defense.  

That and also our love affair with guns & weapons (both sides are guilty of this), attraction to wars and culture of fear :/  

I agree with everything you said! :yes: 

^ We do have a reality star for Prez so I guess we should start expecting this type of drama and bizarreness.

----------------------------------------------------

Shifting focus onto another Trump. Saw this on my local news so I googled it...

Ivanka Trump set to get West Wing office as role expands
The first daughter will not, however, become a government employee, raising ethics questions.

Ivanka Trump, who moved to Washington saying she would play no formal role in her father’s administration, is now officially setting up shop in the White House. The powerful first daughter has secured her own office on the West Wing’s second floor — a space next to senior adviser Dina Powell, who was recently promoted to a position on the National Security Council. She is also in the process of obtaining a security clearance and is set to receive government-issued communications devices this week.

In everything but name, Trump is settling in as what appears to be a full-time staffer in her father’s administration, with a broad and growing portfolio — except she is not being sworn in, will hold no official position and is not pocketing a salary, her attorney said. Trump’s role, according to her attorney Jamie Gorelick, will be to serve as the president’s “eyes and ears” while providing broad-ranging advice, not just limited to women’s empowerment issues. Last week, for instance, Trump raised eyebrows when she was seated next to Angela Merkel for the German chancellor’s first official visit to Trump’s White House.

As her role in the White House grows — a role that comes with no playbook — Trump plans to adhere to the same ethics and records retention rules that apply to government employees, Gorelick said, even though she is not technically an employee. But ethics watchdogs immediately questioned whether she is going far enough to eliminate conflicts of interest, especially because she will not be automatically subjected to certain ethics rules while serving as a de facto White House adviser.

"Having an adult child of the president who is actively engaged in the work of the administration is new ground,” Gorelick conceded in an interview on Monday. “Our view is that the conservative approach is for Ivanka to voluntarily comply with the rules that would apply if she were a government employee, even though she is not.” A spokeswoman for Ivanka Trump said her role was signed off on by the White House counsel’s office, and the conflict issues were “worked through” with the office of government ethics. A White House spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment about the unique arrangement. People close to Ivanka Trump said that she sees nothing unusual about the arrangement — it’s simply how she has worked with her father for years, as a senior official at the Trump Organization and as Donald Trump’s partner on “The Apprentice.”

But in the White House, the unprecedented arrangement for a child of the president has raised new questions about potential conflicts of interest — and about why Ivanka Trump can’t simply join the administration as a government employee. Her husband, Jared Kushner, serves as an official senior adviser in the White House and was sworn in, but his hiring also raised questions of whether it violated anti-nepotism laws. The Justice Department ruled that those laws applied only to agency appointments. Ivanka Trump still owns her eponymous fashion and jewelry brand, even though she stepped down from her position at the company ahead of her father’s inauguration. She is also publishing a book, “Women Who Work,” which is due out in May. "I will continue to offer my father my candid advice and counsel, as I have for my entire life,” Trump said in a statement. “While there is no modern precedent for an adult child of the president, I will voluntarily follow all of the ethics rules placed on government employees." The arrangement, however, was greeted with more questions about what freedoms Trump was trying to preserve for herself — and why.

“They're not saying she's going to voluntarily subject herself to ethics rules to be nice,” said Norm Eisen, the former ethics czar in the Obama administration. “There’s recognition that they're in very uncertain territory here. The better thing to do would be to concede she is subject to the rules. It would create some outside accountability, because if she can voluntarily subject herself to the rules, she can voluntarily un-subject herself to the rules.” Under the new rules, Trump has divested her common stock, tech investments, investment funds — and they will all appear on Kushner’s 278 financial disclosure form, required by all Cabinet nominees. Bloomberg News reported on Monday afternoon that Trump and Kushner sold as much as $36.7 million in assets to comply with federal ethics rules, according to the Office of Government Ethics.

But when it comes to divesting from her business, however, Gorelick admitted there is no way to make it a conflict-free zone. “The one thing I would like to be clear on: we don’t believe it eliminates conflicts in every way,” Gorelick said. “She has the conflicts that derive from the ownership of this brand. We’re trying to minimize those to the extent possible." Gorelick argued that the area is murky because outstanding contracts with third party vendors mean that Ivanka Trump cannot simply close her business — those vendors could continue using her brand. She also can’t sell the business, her attorney argued, because the buyer would have the right to license her name and potentially create other ethical issues.

Instead, Trump will be distancing herself, as much as possible, from the day-to-day operations of the Ivanka Trump brand and convey her interests to a trust. The trust, Gorelick said, will be controlled by her brother-in-law, Josh Kushner, and her sister-in-law, Nicole Meyer, who will be prohibited from entering the brand into any agreements with foreign countries or agencies. Ivanka Trump has appointed Abigail Klem to serve as president of her company, overseeing the day-to-day operations, and prohibited the company from using her image to sell the brand. The first daughter, however, will retain veto power to kill any deals that would be “unacceptable from an ethics perspective.”

Gorelick, a former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration, will also serve as the outside ethics adviser to the trustees. The business will also be prohibited from using her image to market the brand. Under the trust, her attorneys said, Ivanka Trump will receive only the information she needs for disclosure requirements and to facilitate compliance with conflict of interest and impartiality rules. As for the money she will make from her book, Trump is planning to donate the royalties and net proceeds to charities that focus on women in the workforce, with the help of a donor-advised fund. The measures that Ivanka Trump is undergoing to comply with federal ethics laws, ethics watchdogs said, are better than nothing. But they argued they are weak in the face of the flagrant violations of ethics standards by the president. Donald Trump’s hotels and golf courses, for instance, continue to engage in business with foreign and national groups that have interests in front of the White House. “You might be inclined to view this differently and more generously if the White House had shown a stronger commitment to ethics enforcement,” Eisen said.

politico.com

Ivanka’s advice for women in business life:

1. Work Your Sexiness 24/7

"When it comes to the workplace, there's no such thing as feminine self-expression," she says. Emitting sex appeal on the job makes you alluring — just be smart about it. "Serious cleavage is not appropriate, nor is flirting with potential partners," she warns. Instead, keep your voice at a captivating low tone, and evoke sensuality by saying you are "passionate about a project" or have "intimate knowledge" of your industry.

Source: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/advice/a2993/how-to-be-rich-sexy-and-famous/

I love it when Schwarzenegger responds to (or in this case, I guess, instigates) Trump.  I would hope that Trump takes him up on his offer to visit the middle school.  Couldn't hurt to see some of the programs in action that he's thinking of cutting.  

Not sure is the lawsuit true but still funny :laugh: ...

President Trump sues teen girl for slandering his good name with her cat website

I did go to the website mentioned in the article. Seemed kinda lame at first but once you start "scratching" it is addictive :D I think the site gets a lot of hits so you might need reload the page a few times: http://www.kittenfeed.com/

It is only fitting considering cats dislike like Trump b/c they don't like being grabbed ;)