Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

Maldini Hoping Class Will Tell

Paolo Maldini is relishing the prospect of his eighth Champions League semi-final and facing Manchester United's gifted winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

But the veteran AC Milan skipper has dismissed suggestions he will be shadowing the PFA Player of the Year at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

Maldini, 38, said: "We do not man-mark, we have a different way of marking.

"Ronaldo moves around a lot so he will be picked up by whoever is close to him."

Maldini has nothing but admiration for the young Portuguese player.

"Ronaldo is fast, strong and scores goals," said the influential defender. "He is good in the air and extremely inventive.

"While I may not be as fast as I once was, I can still get around the pitch."

Maldini insists Milan will not go the way of Italian rivals Roma, who were demolished 7-1 by United in the second leg of their quarter-final.

He remains keen to win the big prizes despite the clock ticking down on a glorious career.

Maldini added: "I have a great passion for the game. That keeps me playing at this age.

"I'm very proud to be captain and delighted to be playing in matches like the one coming up.

"All the players are motivated by the fact we want to win the Champions League. That has been our prime objective this season.

"We have a great deal of experience and class.

"Manchester United are better than they were two years ago but we are there with them and up to the task."

United boss Alex Ferguson has seen his squad decimated by injuries but his opposite number Carlo Ancelotti refused to concede his team will have a big advantage.

"There are going to be big players missing but we must focus on imposing our game on them. That is our intention," he said.

"We are feeling good and are certain we can do well. There isn't any worry, just great respect for the team we are going to play."

Brazil goalkeeper Dida was due to train at Old Trafford on Monday night after suffering a shoulder injury.

Should his fitness remain a concern, Zeljko Kalac is likely to retain his place between the posts.

No special treatment for Man Utd's Ronaldo says Maldini

MANCHESTER, England (AFP) - Paolo Maldini insists AC Milan ageing back-four will not make any special plans to halt Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo in the Champions League semi-final first leg at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old veteran defender is well aware of the threat posed by the Portuguese winger following United's 7-1 demolition of Milan's Serie A rivals AS Roma in the previous round.

But while Maldini acknowledges Ronaldo is currently one of the game's outstanding players, he is adamant the Italians will not alter their game plan to cope with Ronaldo, who was named both young player and player of the year by his fellow footballers on Sunday.

"I absolutely agree that Ronaldo is one of the top five players in the world," Maldini said.

"But this kind of game is the true test of how good a player is and the very best players can determine the outcome of these games.

"We won't man-mark Ronaldo because that is not the way we play. Whoever is near him will mark him so in a way he will decide who is marking him. But if he finds himself up against me, he will discover that I am still pretty fast!"

Maldini accepts United are a much stronger team than the side that lost both legs when the clubs last met in this competition two years ago.

But he also rubbished suggestions that coach Carlo Ancelotti's ageing side have been in decline since then and insisted United's victory over Roma would not faze them.

"They are a better team than two years ago because the younger players have matured and developed, especially Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney," he added.

"But there is no doubt we are up there with them and the fact we are in the semi-final with them shows that. We are not frightened of United. Far from it.

"We have huge respect for them and their performance against Roma was obviously outstanding. But that was in the last round and this is a completely different game."

While Ancelotti is able to field a familiar looking back-line packed with experience, opposite number Sir Alex Ferguson is facing a defensive crisis with three of his first choice back-four missing.

Ancelotti, who will make a late decision on the fitness of Brazilian keeper Dida, admits United's problems could work in his side's favour.

"They are going to be missing some very big players," he said. "But it's important for us not to focus on that because we have to impose our own game on them just like we did when we won here last time."

RESPECT BUT NO FEAR

Paolo Maldini has outlined how Milan will face their Champions League semi-final first leg tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford

Coach Carlo Ancelotti and captain Paolo Maldini were present at the pre-game press conference ahead of Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Maldini said: 'Our motivation is to play for our number one objective of the season: the Champions League. Milan have always been at the forefront in Italy and Europe over the last 20 years. The defeat in Istanbul still hurts but I have won a lot in my career. I continue to play football with a passion for this sport, not to get over a lost final.'

The captain then answered a question on the difference between Manchester United this season and the team Milan met two years ago: 'Ferguson's side are better, a lot of their young players have developed but Milan are at the very top in one-offs in general. Being here as captain is a reason to be proud. I am convinced that the English watched Bayern Munich-Milan and thought the German side would go through.' Turning to Cristiano Ronaldo: 'I believe that he is amonst the top five in the world and he's really developed in the last few years. He has everything: speed, physique, a sense of goal, skill. He's got what it takes to be one of the absolute best. As for me marking him, I am not certain because we don't play like that. The problem anyway is not where to position myself because I think I am still fast enough.' Answering a question on whether Milan feared Manchester United, the captain answered: 'Respect not fear. Manchester United play beautiful football at home, however, every game has its own story and it doesn't have to influence morale which is at the highest level.'

Ancelotti then confronted the argument from Patrick Vieira that Milan should not be in the Champions League while Juventus are in Serie B: 'It's better if Vieira stayed quiet. Milan have always demonstrated loyalty and correctness in this competition and everyone knows that.' As for any incidents: 'Hopefully there won't be any here or at the San Siro, that it will be a correct game both on the pitch and off it.' Looking at individuals: 'Kakà and Cristiano Ronaldo are without doubt amongst the best players in the world. The best one will manage to play the greatest number of great games and being of most service to the team.' On the game itself: 'The English side are missing important players, however, we can't think about this. Our duty is to impose our game to manage to play a great game.'

Manchester United 3:2 AC Milan - match report

Scorers: Ronaldo 6 (Ma) Kaka 22, 37 (Mi), Rooney 60, 91 (Ma)

Kaka's brace shook Old Trafford, but Manchester United fought back to win 3-2 in the very open Champions League semi-final.

Nelson Dida recovered from a shoulder injury to start in the stadium where Milan won the 2003 Champions League, while Alberto Gilardino returned from his ban for this semi-final first leg, but Ronaldo was cup-tied. Manchester United were hoping to repeat their remarkable 7-1 win over Roma, but were missing Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville and Nemanja Vidic.

Alessandro Nesta got back quickly to deflect a Wayne Rooney shot over the bar, but from the resulting corner kick Dida lost sight of the corner kick and only got a hand to Cristiano Ronaldo's header, instead bundling it over the line. It was a howler from the Brazilian and gave Manchester United the lead after just six minutes. Although originally credited as an own goal, it was later awarded to Ronaldo.

Dida made up for it a little later, flying to push away a Michael Carrick volley into the ground.

Massimo Ambrosini couldn't get enough power on his header from a Massimo Oddo cross, then O'Shea performed a crucial challenge on Clarence Seedorf inside the area.

Milan were growing and on 22 minutes drew level. Kaka did his trademark change of pace to run on to a Seedorf through ball, blaze past Gabriel Heinze and stroke an angled left-foot drive into the bottom far corner. The Brazilian consolidated his position as Champions League top scorer this season on eight goals in 11 games.

Ryan Giggs' header looped well over and the Welsh wizard's cross soon after just went past Rooney's outstretched foot when it just needed a touch to send it past Dida.

The Milan goalkeeper beat away a Ronaldo snapshot with his palms and Nesta was able to clear the loose ball as it came back in.

If Manchester United's goal was granted by a defensive howler, then the Reds restored the favour. Kaka headed the ball forward, flicked and headed again to send Patrice Evra and Heinze clattering into each other. So the Selecao star had an open goal to aim at and give Milan the lead and a precious second away strike.

Moments later Kaka unleashed a missile from over 30 metres that Edwin Van der Sar palmed round the post. From the corner Nesta's header was over. Evra was booked for holding Oddo and will be suspended for the second leg. Soon after he brought down Gennaro Gattuso, risking another card.

On the stroke of half-time, Andrea Pirlo's free kick drifted past the near post.

Paolo Maldini suffered a recurrence of his knee injury and was replaced by Daniele Bonera in the second period. Manchester United had a great chance to draw level when a corner came to Carrick completely unmarked at the back post, but he somehow sidefooted wide from six yards.

Seedorf played a defensive role, clearing the pass before it could reach Paul Scholes. During that move Gattuso went down with that recurring injury and was stretchered off to make way for Cristian Brocchi.

Pirlo's pass over the defence sent Kaka clear on the counter, but this time his finish across the face of goal was off target.

A splendid team move sparked by Massimo Ambrosini went through Kaka, Seedorf and back for the Brazilian to volley over as he lost his balance under pressure.

However, just as Milan seemed to be in control, Scholes flicked the ball up in the air for Rooney to shake off a challenge and prod past Dida as he rushed forward desperately. Again, the goalkeeper got a touch, but it was not enough.

There was controversy when Kaka and Giggs were both booked for an incident, as the referee stopped play to award a free kick when Kaka was rushing forward.

Rooney's lob was cleared and it fell to a Darren Fletcher strike that Dida saved brilliantly at point-blank range. The 'keeper also captured a deflected Giggs effort.

Giggs turned a free kick round the near post, although Kaka's challenge had been on the ball, not Scholes. Bonera did bring down Rooney in a similar position and was booked, though once again Giggs' set-piece was disappointing.

Former Juventus goalkeeper Van der Sar smothered a Pirlo free kick. Nesta's brave sliding tackle to close down Ronaldo saw both fly into the advertising boards and require treatment.

Heinze managed to close down Kaka's counter and Fletcher's angled drive was straight at Dida.

Cristiano Ronaldo dropped two defenders with his step-overs and Dida fingertipped it on to the side-netting.

Yoann Gourcuff replaced the extremely quiet Gilardino, who barely touched the ball all night. It was another substitute, Brocchi, who foolishly gave the ball away to Giggs in midfield in stoppages. The Manchester United man ran forward and Rooney hit a first-time shot low in at the near post to make it 3-2.

Milan: Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Maldini (Bonera 46), Jankulovski; Gattuso (Brocchi 53), Pirlo, Ambrosini, Seedorf; Kaka; Gilardino (Gourcuff 84)

Manchester United: Van der Sar; O’Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra; Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes; Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs

SITUATION WITH GATTUSO AND MALDINI

Rino Gattuso suffered a knock to the sole of his foot and left the field due to the pain. However, things are looking optimistic in regards to his condition and for his recovery for Milan-Manchester. He should be there for the return leg at the San Siro. Paolo Maldini’s situation will be evaluated. Patrice Evra will not be able to play because he received a second yellow card tonight and will be suspended for the second leg.

MALDINI: 'I will do everything to be there'

Paolo Maldini commented on yesterday's game on the team's return to Malpensa airport: 'When Rino and I went off the pitch, I think United’s attitude and approach to the match changed. I will do everything possible to be there for the return game at the San Siro on Milan and I maintain that we have every chance to make it.'

Maldini: I can make it

Paolo Maldini assures he can recover in time for the Champions League semi-final with Manchester United.

The defender came off with a recurring knee injury at half-time in last night’s 3-2 first leg defeat at Old Trafford.

There had been reports the veteran would require surgery that’d end his season – perhaps even put an early end to his career – but Maldini is optimistic.

“I will do everything possible to be back for the second leg at San Siro on May 2 and maintain we have all the necessary conditions to do so,” he told the official Milan website.

Maldini and Gennaro Gattuso left the field with injuries during the game and he thinks that was the key to this loss.

“When Rino and I went off the pitch, I think United’s attitude and approach to the match changed,” he noted.

The Rossoneri had been leading 2-1 in Manchester only for a stoppage-time Wayne Rooney strike to seal the 3-2 final score.

MILAN - MANCHESTER UNITED

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Storari;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kaka , Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ricardo Oliveira.

Maldini doubtful to face Man United

MILAN (Reuters) - AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini is all but out of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg match against Manchester United at San Siro due to injury.

The 38-year-old defender, who is aiming to reach the final of Europe's top club competition for the eighth time, is struggling to shake off a knee injury he picked up in Milan's 3-2 first leg defeat at Old Trafford last week.

"There are very slim chances of having him (fit for the match)...I will decide on him in the evening," coach Carlo Ancelotti told the Gazzetta dello Sport Web site (www.gazzetta.it).

Aside from Maldini, Ancelotti has a full-strength team at his disposal. If his captain fails to recover, Ancelotti is expected to field Daniele Bonera in his place.

While Maldini stands a slim chance of starting the game, United captain Gary Neville has already been ruled out by an ankle injury.

The Premier League leaders' injury problems in defence could be eased, however, by the return of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

The pair missed the first leg due to a groin strain and broken collar bone respectively, but flew out to Milan after coming through late fitness tests.

United manager Alex Ferguson will hope at least one of them can start, allowing him to move Argentine international Gabriel Heinze from the centre of the defence into his favoured left-back position.

Louis Saha could also give United an extra attacking option on the bench after recovering from a hamstring injury.

The winners of the tie will meet Liverpool in the May 23 final in Athens after beating Chelsea on penalties in the other semi-final tie which ended 1-1 on aggregate on Tuesday.