Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

THE RIGHT PACE

Carlo Ancelotti and Paolo Maldini outlined Milan’s steps on their way to defeat Bayern Munich and pass this Champions League round

Paolo Maldini spoke in a press conference held on the eve of the big Bayern-Munich Champions League quarter-final. The captain immediately zeroed in the Rossoneri’s next opponents: ‘Bayern Munich are a very solid team and are physically strong. They are following the style of play they have always had over the years. This Bayern side are similar to last year’s, both in play and in their formulation. Our hope lies in doing the job that lies ahead of us. Looking at the first leg you can see that the opportunity is there. It’s open and nothing is yet sealed.’

It was a strange moment for Maldini when he was asked how he felt about the possibility that tomorrow’s game could be his last in the Champions League: ‘I have gave my all here for 20 years. I am used to thinking positively, therefore I will not walk on the field thinking that this could be my last Champions League game. Even though, if you think about it, this thought could give me even more energy.’

The captain confirmed that the Rossoneri squad left for Munich with just the right conviction: ‘We came here saying to each other that we really believe we can win. The result of the first leg penalises us, but the game is still to be played. We deserved to arrive here with a certain advantage, but instead Bayern have the advantage. We must accept the result from the field because if they make mistakes they pay for them, especially at this level. I absolutely do not think that the German’s advantage damages our possibility of qualifying.’

When asked why he is so serious, the captain responded: ‘I am a serious guy, but I am not an introvert. Our dressing room is serious, but there is also a great feeling there and it is fun.’ Before closing the press conference, Maldini outlined the path Milan will have to follow tomorrow night to pass the round: ‘We must not put ourselves in danger because the game can be won even in the final minutes. This is why it will be fundamental to not concede a goal and we must not leave them open for the counterattack.’

Carlo Ancelotti also spoke in the pre-game press conference ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich: ‘I think that Pippo Inzaghi will be available. He has some problems. However, if he plays then that means he is doing well. There was a lot of talk about his condition as a player, of his future and of the fact that up until now he hasn’t always played. They speak about the goals he scored in the Champions League and… a certain someone has also scored against Bayern Munich. This is what counts.’

The coach then focused on Bayern Munich: ‘At home, they are a less inhibited side. What happened in the past doesn’t count, now is all that really counts. What counts is how the sides arrive at this game. We will have to play with confidence, being secure in our game and our possibilities in order to win.’

Bayern aim to buck trend and curtail Maldini's glorious career

The shadows have been drawing in on the wonderful career of Paolo Maldini for some time now. Tonight a prime source of illumination may be extinguished.

Milan, the only club Maldini has played for, face elimination from the Champions League by Bayern Munich after being held to a 2-2 draw at San Siro a week ago. Should they fail in Bavaria Maldini, a four-time winner of the competition, will have played his last game in Europe and, with Milan adrift in Serie A, won his final honour.

The 38-year-old, who will be making a record 166th European appearance, was sanguine about the possibility. "I have been giving my all for 20 years, so I am not worried about the fact that this could be my last match," he said yesterday. "I am used to being positive and I am not thinking about it."

Maldini will draw confidence from Milan's record against the Bundesliga champions. In nine previous meetings Bayern have won only once, in the second leg of the 1990 European Cup semi-final, and that victory was a Pyrrhic one, Milan progressing on away goals.

Maldini played in that match but unsurprisingly admitted: "I can't remember much about it." While the defender's expertise will be important, for Milan need to keep a clean sheet, Carlo Ancelotti's focus is on the attack. Milan need to score. But Ronaldo is ineligible, Alberto Gilardino suspended, and summer signing Ricardo Oliveira has disappointed. Which leaves another veteran, Filippo Inzaghi, who must pass a test on a troublesome hamstring.

Forward support will be provided by Kaka, the competition's leading scorer going into this week's matches with seven goals. Recalling the first leg, in which Bayern levelled in the third minute of injury-time, Kaka said: " We had victory in our hands and let it slip through our fingers but I don't think there's any need for desperation. We can win in Munich. I have a feeling it will be one of those historic European nights."

Bayern are defending an 11-match unbeaten run in Munich dating back to 2004 when they still played in the Olympic Stadium. The 66,000-seat Allianz Arena is a more claustrophobic venue and Ottmar Hitzfeld, their coach, said: " I'm optimistic."

Hitzfeld, who led Bayern to victory in 2001, returned to coach them mid-season and has steadied their form without yet being able to break into the Bundesliga's three Champions League qualifying places.

Heis without Willy Sagnol, Mehmet Scholl and Martin Demichelis, and possibly Bastien Schweinsteiger, who has been having acupuncture in an effort to be fit. Hasan Salihamidzic, Owen Hargreaves and Lucio were doubtful but will play unless they suffer a reaction from yesterday's training session. Hitzfeld can recall the goalkeeping captain Oliver Kahn and Dutch midfielder Mark van Bommel after suspension. His big decision, after how Milan were exposed in the air in the first leg, is whether to start with Claudio Pizarro or retain Lukas Podolski.

The tie could go to the wire. If it does Bayern believe their relative youth will overwhelm the experienced heads, and old legs, of Maldini's Milan.

Bayern Munich (probable, 4-4-2): Kahn; Lell, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lahm; Salihamidzic, Van Bommel, Hargreaves, Schweinsteiger or Ottl; Makaay, Podolski or Pizarro.

Milan (probable, 4-3-2-1): Dida; Oddo, Nesta, Maldini, Jankulovski; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Kaka, Seedorf; Inzaghi

Maldini's final ambition

Depending who you believe, the secret to longevity might be a good wife, a lack of stress, red meat or even gin. Yet as AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini weighs up the prospect of a ninth UEFA Champions League semi-final after helping his side defeat FC Bayern München 2-0 last week, the 38-year-old is keen to put a different slant on things.

'Great mentality'

"I approached the Bayern match in my usual positive way," Maldini said. "We knew we needed a win, but this team is blessed with players with a great mentality; they prove that every time. Now it is Manchester United. I think they were probably hoping to meet Bayern." The ashen look on the face of the watching Sir Alex Ferguson at the Fußball Arena München suggested that assumption might well have some grounding. The United manager has reason to fear the Italian side, who ended his team's campaign in the last 16 two seasons ago.

No fear

Sir Alex had a very different appearance 24 hours earlier as his charges routed Milan's Serie A rivals AS Roma 7-1. Maldini is confident his team-mates will provide a sterner test. "Manchester United have grown in strength over the past few years, and Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo are extremely impressive. It will be a difficult match, played at a great tempo. But we're not scared and we will go there in high spirits. What makes us strong is our great mentality, our determination. We are always ready when it counts."

Maldini legend

Milan have been crowned European champions six times, and only once has there not been a Maldini in their ranks. Paolo's father Cesare was part of the victorious 1963 European Champion Clubs' Cup side, while his heir has collected four winners' medals, in 1989, 1990, 1994 and 2003, during a 23-year spell at the San Siro. Such is his legend that when he does hang up his boots, the No3 shirt will be retired unless one of his sons plays for the club. Ominously for opponents hoping to see the back of the Maldini clan, Paolo's eldest child Christian, 13, is already on the Rossoneri's books.

'Strength'

"I keep playing because I love the atmosphere," said the former Italy captain. "To play just one more semi-final on an English ground, with the atmosphere we will face there and the possibility of reaching another final, gives me the strength to keep going." Any "possibility" of a final has become a virtual probability for Maldini. Until last term's defeat by FC Barcelona, he had never lost a last-four fixture. "This is yet another European Cup semi-final for me, my ninth. It went well seven times and I hope I will be able to make eight.

'Proud'

"This time we have qualified as the only non-English team, and in the last 20 years we have always been there; it makes me very proud. We have been somewhere near the top of the pile for years, ever since 1988." Maldini had made his Milan debut three years previously, against Udinese Calcio in January 1985. Two decades on he is eager for one last showpiece occasion. "Last summer this target looked almost impossible, and now it is within our grasp," said Maldini. If the last 20 years have taught us anything, it is that when Milan get a tentative hold on something, they tend to make it count.

Manchester United - Milan

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Fiori, Storari.

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Costacurta, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho, Simic.

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf.

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, R. Oliveira.