Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

MALDINI: 'Want to be in final'

MILAN - 'We have really struggled to get to the final so we want to be here. It's important to confirm the excellent results we have had up until now. I signed because I am sure I do some more, it's not just for the Intercontinental Cup but because I can still experience things at the highest level.'

CESARE MALDINI IS CONFIDENT

Cesare Maldini has been speaking to uefa.com about the chances of his son Paolo playing in the final: 'Paolo is in another final but this time with an injury, but I believe he will do everything to play. Liverpool are strong mentally and physically. I know their coach, he likes to play in a pre-planned way.'

Maldini Fit For Milan Return

Captain Paolo Maldini is set to return for AC Milan in the Champions League final after being declared fit to play.

The veteran defender has recovered from a knee injury and Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti is confident he will have Maldini available to play against Liverpool in Athens on Wednesday.

"Maldini is fine, if we were playing the game today (Monday) he would be on the pitch," said Ancelotti.

The former Italian international has struggled with numerous knee injuries in recent years and has already postponed a knee operation in order to play in the final.

He has his sights set on lifting Europe's top club trophy for the fifth time in his prestigious career.

Maldini's presence will be a big boost for the Rossoneri, who are hoping to avoid the same fortune against Rafael Benitez's men as in Istanbul in 2005.

Milan lost in a penalty shoot-out against the Reds, having given a way a 3-0 half-time lead. Maldini scored Milan's opener, in what was the fastest goal in Champions League history final, 51 seconds after kick-off.

Ancelotti confirmed prior to his team's arrival to the Greek capital that he already chosen his starting XI.

"I know who will play but I have not even told my players yet. All my players merit to play in this final but it's not possible," he said.

"I can say after Monday's training that my team is in good condition, ready to play on Wednesday."

The AC Milan coach admitted being in the final after a difficult season was already a dream come true.

The Rossoneri began the Serie A season with an eight-point deduction for match-fixing and had to go through pre-qualifying in Europe's elite club competition.

"To have gone so far represents for us a great achievement," added Ancelotti.

"We have had to work so hard in order to get here and few people believed we would be able to go so far. For that reason, I believe this is a dream."

Not a final Final for Maldini

Paolo Maldini insists he will play on for one more season – even if he wins another Champions League title with Milan on Wednesday.

Some whispers in the peninsula have suggested that the 38-year-old could retire in style should he hold aloft the European Cup in Athens, but Maldini has clear ideas about the future.

“I hope to play in yet another Final after this one in Athens, because next season will be my last,” Maldini told uefa.com.

“Milan are football for me, I have played for this club for my entire career, I was born in Milan, and my father had a great career with this team. For me, the word football means Milan.”

Maldini will play in his eighth European Cup Final on Wednesday which will see him equal the record of Real Madrid legend Paco Gento.

“Honestly, I have never really cared about records. I only think about winning as many trophies as possible and Milan have given me the chance to play so many Finals in this competition.”

The former Italian international looks likely to put his knee problems to one side this week in order to face Liverpool, two years after that Istanbul tragedy.

“Facing Liverpool is an opportunity to take revenge, but we have nothing against them,” he continued.

“During my career I have won most of the games I deserved to win, but that night was not like that, we deserved to win and we didn’t.

“They are a very dangerous side, especially with [steven] Gerrard and [Peter] Crouch, but we don’t have to think about our opponents too much.

“We have to play our own game and accept the result on the pitch.”

Meanwhile, French newspaper L’Equipe dedicated Tuesday’s front page to Maldini by insisting that he deserves to win this year’s Golden Ball.

“Monsieur Maldini lives football like a youngster, with a love that will never end,” an article read.

“Just as his father, in 23 years he has never betrayed his sense of morality, duty and loyalty which have made him one of the icons of Italian football.

“Tomorrow, if the physical trainers are good at their job and the gods listen to us, Milan will offer to Maldini one of the biggest joys in his career, one year before his retirement, a fifth Champions League, a new Intercontinental Final and, why not, the opportunity to dream of the Golden Ball once again.”

France Coach Raymond Domenech also praised Maldini and would like him to win the prestigious award.

“I saw him play against Manchester United and he was impressive," he said. "If it were for me, he would win the Golden Ball.”

GOLDEN BALL FOR MALDINI

MILAN - French newspaper L'Equipe dedicated front page space to Paolo Maldini saying: ‘Monsignor Maldini’s love for football is like that of a young boy, it is a love that will never die.’ As for the Golden Ball award, France coach Domenech expressed his preference: ‘I saw him play against Manchester United and it was impressive. If it were up to me, the Golden Ball award would go to Maldini.’

Capitano crowns golden Kaka

Milan captain Paolo Maldini has proposed teammate Kaka as the “ideal candidate” to win the Ballon d’Or.

The legend was asked of his chances of winning the prestigious trophy for the first time in his career.

“If I haven’t won it up until now, I can’t imagine getting it in 2007,” smiled Maldini in the Press conference ahead of tomorrow’s Champions League Final.

“But these considerations are irrelevant, frankly, as Ricardo absolutely deserves it. I recommend a vote for him to all the jurors – Kaka deserves the Ballon d’Or more than anyone else.”

The Brazilian is the hot favourite to take the trophy assigned by ‘France Football’ and Europe’s top sports journalists, but his odds will be shortened even further if he helps to beat Liverpool in Athens.

“I have always done well against English sides,” said Kaka. “If we play the way we did against Manchester United at San Siro, then it will be difficult to stop us. Thanks to examples like Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta, there is always the desire to win and Milan never feel sated.”

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez said that he will not change his tactical system to control Kaka and that suits the Champions League top scorer right down to the ground.

“In Europe no opponent has man-marked me yet and I think that will be the case again tomorrow. I went so close to winning the trophy two years ago, so tomorrow I hope to write a page in the history of this club.”