Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

• 4 weeks later...

PAOLO MALDINI: "A step at a time"

MILAN - During the afternoon training of the Rossoneri's team, Paolo Maldini spoke to Milan Channel. "The objective is to think about myself for the time being, a step at a time. The intercontinental cup remain my great objective, then I will think once I'm on the pitch."

Maldini Promises October Return

The Milan captain is currently recovering from an injury as he prepares to start his 22nd season with the Rossoneri's shirt.

Paolo Maldini spoke to Milan Channel on Tuesday as he explained the decision of extending his holidays rather than start training early with the squad.

"I had asked for extra holidays because my current condition does not allow me yet to train with the team," he declared.

Now the main objective of the Milan captain is to return on the playing field as soon as possible.

"My objective is to return on the pitch in the first weeks of October. However, we must first face a series of stages with the right caution," he continued.

"By the end of August I will have a consultation with Professor Martens and only he will tell me if I can start running again. If it will be so, I will join the group and I will start the real preparation," Maldini concluded.

Maldini in buoyant mood

Veteran Milan defender Paolo Maldini has insisted that the mood in the Rossoneri camp couldn’t be better, despite poor pre-season performances.

The Diavoli looked less than impressive at last weekend’s Moscow tournament as they struggled to a third-placed finish with a penalty shoot-out victory over Lokomotiv Moscow.

Boss Carlo Ancelotti slammed his side for looking out of shape, but the injured Maldini believes that the San Siro outfit will be ready when the time comes.

“It seems normal to me that a side that wins the Champions League has a slight hangover,” he told Il Giornale.

“This doesn’t mean that we aren’t ready to tackle the challenges and we believe that we can climb mountains as we did last term.”

As for his own recovery from a knee injury that has seen him regularly sidelined over the course of the last season, Maldini is pleased with the progress.

“At the end of August I’m scheduled to go on a course in Antwerp and a month after that I should be ready to play,” he revealed.

“It has been strange and not nice being missing from pre-season training at Milanello for the first time, but I’m working as hard as I can to rejoin the squad."

Finally, the 39-year-old took a moment to express his excitement at the imminent arrival of Brazilian starlet Alexandre Pato.

“I’ve seen him twice on TV in the FIFA Club World Cup and I was struck by his talent. I’m delighted because he already has such skill,” he concluded.