Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

Maldini Tells Milan: Ramos Is My Successor

Retiring AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini has told the club that they must do everything in their power to sign Sergio Ramos.

The 39-year-old, who made his debut for the Rossoneri way back in January 1985, will finally hang up his boots at the end of the season.

There has been much debate about how Milan will cope with the loss of such an inspirational figure, and Maldini has urged his beloved club to try and sign Real Madrid star Ramos.

"My successor is him, he will shortly become the best defender in the world," Maldini stated.

Milan have long been admirers of the former Sevilla defender and have been heavily linked with a move for him since last summer.

Real have stated on numerous occasions that there is no way they will sell their young starlet unless his astronomical €180m buyout clause is met.

However the Corriere dello Sport reported on Wednesday that Milan were ready to offer the 21-year-old a £3 million-a-year salary in a bid to tempt him to quit Madrid.

Ramos revised his contract until 2013 last summer but is said to be unhappy with his current pay and wants it changed again, particularly as some of the players sitting on the bench make a lot more than him.

AC Milan 2:0 Genoa - match report

Scorer: Pato 68, 82 (M)

Alexandre Pato bagged his first Serie A brace in a difficult victory over 10-man Genoa.

The Rossoneri's hopes of fighting back to a top four finish were dealt a heavy blow with their rescheduled Week 12 defeat to Atalanta midweek. The Brazilian trident system was shelved due to Ronaldo's injury, so Clarence Seedorf returned to a Trequartisa role. Zeljko Kalac deputised for the injured Nelson Dida. Genoa had won their last three on the trot and had Milan-owned striker Marco Borriello on stunning form with 11 goals, but only three of them outside Marassi. Domenico Criscito sat out a ban.

Genoa had not scored in this Serie A fixture for their last three visits, nor earned a point since the 1-1 draw in November 1991. Their most recent victory at San Siro was a 5-1 result in May 1958.

Seedorf's first touch wasted a great chance set up by Paolo Maldini's backheel flick, then Pato fired wide on the bounce after running on to a Kaka searching pass.

Pato had another chance moments later, outspriting his marker to flash a shot across the face of goal, but he wasted a golden opportunity on the half-hour mark. Kaka's deflected effort fell to the teenager from eight yards, but he toe-poked the ball straight at Rubinho.

Andrea Pirlo's right-foot rocket from distance dipped just over the bar, while Fabiani was off target for the Grifone and Alessandro Nesta's error almost gifted Borriello an opener, testing Kalac at the near post.

In the second half both teams appeared to wake up. Seedorf fired over and Kalac proved decisive on Borriello following Kakha Kaladze's error. A splendid Kaka first touch caught Massimo Oddo's pass and Rubinho did well to smother the shot with his body.

From the resulting corner Milan wanted a spot-kick for an Abdoulay Konko handling offence to charge down Maldini's effort, but the referee waved play on.

It was now a very open game and Borriello shook off Kaladze to volley over the bar. There were dozens of chances with Pato, Kaka and Ambrosini.

They eventually managed to make their opportunities count with Pato's second goal in as many home games. Seedorf held up Maldini's cross for Pato to loop a header across the face of goal.

Moments later Pato was running clear on goal and Rubinho rushed out of the area to block the lob with his arm, an inevitable red card offence. Substitute Alessio Scarpi came on for Omar Milanetto and his first task was to watch Pirlo's free kick skim the near post, but soon after smothered a good Pato opportunity.

Yet Genoa threatened an equaliser with a classic counter-attack, Oddo bravely flinging himself in the path of Borriello's finish.

Seedorf sent Pato clear again and although Scarpi got a hand to his lob, he could do nothing on the follow-up in front of an open goal.

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Gattuso, Pirlo (Emerson 83), Ambrosini; Kakà, Seedorf; Pato

Genoa: Rubinho; Santos, Bovo, Danilo; Konko, Milanetto (Scarpi 71), Juric, Fabiano; Rossi (Figueroa 71), Borriello, Sculli

CONTINUE LIKE THIS MILAN

"I have to give my compliments to the whole team. It was a very intense, balanced match. We are happy about the result and especially about having won the three points." - THE WORDS OF THE ROSSONERI -

FLORENCE - Here are the declarations made by the rossoneri after Fiorentina-Milan 0-1:

ALBERTO GILARDINO:

"I have to give my compliments to the whole team. It was a very intense, balanced match. Perhaps we could have scored before, but we are still happy with the result and about getting another three points. Both teams played a good match, we played the ball and the fact that Fiorentina played very far up the pitch allowed us to have a few chances up front. With Siena it won't be easy, especially after Pato's injury, and I'm disappointed about my booking because I wasn't expecting it, now I'll prepare well for the game with Livorno.

Tonight Milan showed what they can do, but we can do even better."

PAOLO MALDINI:

"Finally we managed to do what we always need to do. Unfortunately in the standings we are penalised by the fact we haven't won much at home in the first round of matches, that is absolutely unlike Milan. Now we have to keep on going, although we are still disappointed with the three points lost against Atalanta.

Concerning Pato, I became worried about his condition, he suffered a painful knock, perhaps a new feeling for him, but I don't think it's too serious because he hurt his ankle, not his knee. It's not as bad as what it seemed like on the pitch.

Now we must continue doing well, our objectives must be large. Until twenty days ago the fourth place seemed like a utopia. Soon the Champions League will return, which will strain us both physically and mentally. Our intention is to be more consistent compared to the first part of the season."

KALAC:

"I managed to save the result on Fiorentina's last shot of the game, but we shouldn't forget that the team offered a great performance. We believed until the end and then we won. Of the whole match, the most difficult save was certainly the last one, because if it had gone Fiorentina would have gotten a draw and we wouldn't have had the time to recover. The fact I've been able to play more frequently has certainly helped achieve a better balance."