Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

AC Milan 1:0 Siena - match report

Scorer: Paloschi 63 (M)

A star is born, as 18-year-old Alberto Paloschi scored the winner 15 seconds into his Serie A debut!

The Rossoneri had risen to fifth place with a game in hand following three wins on the trot, but Alberto Gilardino was suspended, Kaka, Alexandre Pato and Gennaro Gattuso injured, so Ronaldo and Pippo Inzaghi formed an unlikely partnership. Siena were fresh from a shock 3-0 drubbing of Roma, following on from a victory over Palermo and a slender 3-2 loss to Inter.

Last season this tie ended 0-0, the first time Siena had emerged undefeated. Both goalkeepers were forced into splendid saves in the opening six minutes, as Zeljko Kalac flew to parry a Mario Frick snapshot and Alex Manninger had his palms stung by an Inzaghi counter-attack.

Siena hit the back of the net after 13 minutes, but the goal was disallowed for a very tight Tomas Locatelli offside position, as he may have been kept in play by Marek Jankulovski before he volleyed in from seven yards.

Serginho nutmegged Locatelli only to hit the side-netting, then Inzaghi spun round his marker to drill over the bar from Massimo Ambrosini's assist. Serginho was in splendid form in a rare start and some more fancy footwork sent Ronaldo clear, but Il Fenomeno's effort was charged down.

Inzaghi got in front of his marker at the near post to nod a Serginho cross on to the side-netting, while at the other end Massimo Maccarone was not alert enough to pounce on Lukas Jarolim's smart cross.

Milan made two substitutions at half-time and Manninger risked dismissal as he rushed out to clear outside the box, almost handling. Inzaghi was furious as he was stopped alone on goal for a debatable offside position, as Portanova seemed to be keeping him in play.

Yet on 51 minutes Siena went closer than anyone to a goal, Frick sweeping a right-foot strike on to the upright from nine yards.Substitute Clarence Seedorf lost the ball in midfield an Simone Vergassola launched Maccarone's counter, but Daniele Bonera did just enough to put him off and Kalac saved the shot.

Locatelli had another great chance for Siena, nodding over an empty net under no pressure. The San Siro crowd started to jeer and Carlo Ancelotti resorted to desperate measures - 18-year-old youth striker Alberto Paloschi.

It proved inspired, as 15 seconds into his debut the teen let the ball bounce and cracked a fantastic right-foot strike into the far bottom corner from the edge of the box! After Pato, another youngster made a sensational San Siro debut.

Siena were stunned, but fought back with Locatelli drilling past the post. Paloschi combined brilliantly with Inzaghi and had the crowd on its feet again, then Manninger flew to parry Seedorf's rocket from distance.

Simone Vergassola was shown a straight red card for stopping a clear scoring opportunity, as he raised his arm - albeit very close to the incident - to block Inzaghi's counter.

In the final minute Kalac performed a fantastic save on Frick's flicked header and Manninger went up for the last corner kick, but ended up causing more problems as he got in the way of teammate Simone Loria.

Milan: Kalac; Cafu, Nesta (Bonera 46), Maldini, Jankulovski; Brocchi, Ambrosini, Pirlo, Serginho (Paloschi 63); Ronaldo (Seedorf 46), Inzaghi

Siena: Manninger; Rossettini, Portanova, Loria, De Ceglie; Jarolim (Kharja 73), Codrea, Vergassola; Locatelli (Forestieri 75); Maccarone, Frick

PARMA - MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Fiori, Kalac;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Paloschi.

Parma 0:0 AC Milan - match report

Milan failed to score for the first time in 14 rounds, as a 0-0 at Parma slows their push for a Champions League spot.

The Rossoneri hoped to continue their comeback towards a top four finish, but were still in shock after Ronaldo snapped the tendon in his left knee during Wednesday's rescheduled Week 16 1-1 draw with Livorno. Clarence Seedorf and Alexandre Pato were also still injured, but Kaka returned to the fold. Carlo Ancelotti, Daniele Bonera and Alberto Gilardino were facing their former club, but Bernardo Corradi and Francesco Parravicini were banned.

Milan were undefeated at the Tardini since 2003, picking up a draw and three straight wins.

Giulio Falcone turned an Andrea Pisanu corner over the bar and Pippo Inzaghi failed to make the most of a defensive error. Emerson tested Luca Bucci as he got his head to Serginho's set-piece.

On 24 minutes Kaka unleashed a rocket that flashed across the face of goal and Zeljko Kalac smothered a long-range Pisanu attempt.

Cristiano Lucarelli wanted a dismissal for Kakha Kaladze's nudge when they were clear on goal, but the referee judged it shoulder-to-shoulder and waved play on.

Reginaldo flicked on a free kick with his head and Kalac flapped it over the bar. On the resulting corner Alessandro Nesta charged down a cracking Castellini half-volley that looked ready to beat the goalkeeper at the near post.

Pisanu really should have given Parma a half-time lead when a pass rolled invitingly in front of him just seven yards out, but incredibly the Under-21 international completely missed the ball!

Milan were ineffective, so Carlo Ancelotti threw on Gilardino and Andrea Pirlo for the second half. Curiously, Nelson Dida was stretchered off during the break after his back seized up while sitting on the bench.

Within 120 seconds Pirlo had proved what a crucial player he is, as a free kick was punched away by Bucci in the Rossoneri's first real chance.

Inzaghi held off Fernando Couto for a chest and half-volley on the spin that went over the bar. Soon after, Super Pippo was stopped for an extremely tight offside flag.

Parma completely revamped their front line with Igor Budan and Andrea Gasbarroni. Within 60 seconds of coming off the bench, Gasbarroni threaded through for Budan to spring the offside trap and brought a great save out of Kalac.

On 68 minutes Kaka forced Bucci into a fantastic save with his chest and volley from 10 yards, the veteran goalkeeper at full stretch for a low fingertip touch.

There was an historic moment when Paolo Maldini replaced Marek Jankulovski, celebrating his 1,000th official match between club and international level.

Another Pirlo free kick dipped over the wall and whistled inches past the near post.

There was a triple chance moments later. Inzaghi's first attempt was charged down, Bucci stuck out a foot to parry Pippo's second and Gilardino acrobatically prodded the follow-up wide from six yards.

A Gilardino header looped over the bar from Maldini's cross, but there was a sigh of relief when MacDonald Mariga's splendid volley was denied by Kalac's desperate reaction save from point-blank range. Had it gone in then it wouldn't have counted, as he was flagged offside.

Emerson should have won it for the Rossoneri in the final minute, as Bucci flapped a cross into his path, but the Brazilian blasted over the bar under no pressure.

At the other end Kalac had his palms stung by Budan's screamer at the near post that was heading in from the tightest of angles.

Parma: Bucci; Zenoni, Couto, Falcone, Castellini; Dessena, Morrone, Cigarini (Mariga 75), Pisanu; Reginaldo (Gasbarroni 64), C Lucarelli (Budan 64)

Milan: Kalac; Cafu, Nesta, Kaladze, Jankulovski (Maldini 70); Gattuso (Gilardino 46), Emerson, Ambrosini, Serginho (Pirlo 46); Kakà; Inzaghi

NOW FOR ARSENAL

"Having many games close together makes a difference, but a team like Milan always has the responsibility to win. When we go on the pitch we try to give our all and give everything."

PARMA - Here are the declarations of the rossoneri following Parma-Milan 0-0:

EMERSON:

"In the second half we played a great match, especially compared to the first half when we played poorly, the only thing we lacked was a goal. We know that having so many games close together takes its toll, but a team like Milan always has the responsibility to win, when we go on the pitch we try to give our all and give everything. Personally I'm doing well, it's my second game from the beginning, I only have to try and get back the match rhythm, that's what I'm missing right now even though it's difficult if you don't play regularly. I always try to give my best when I come on the pitch and also tonight I tried to give my best, but the most important thing is to win."

ALESSANDRO NESTA:

"It was an important match, unfortunately it went like this, we wasted another chance to go past Fiorentina, especially because in the second half we played much better, but the road is long and there is still a long time to reach fourth place.

Tonight I was calm because I had rested and when you have the chance to skip a match you are certainly more in form the next game.

Now we have Arsenal, a very tough match, but we are ready."

PAOLO MALDINI:

"Tonight I played my one thousandth match from the first minute, these are numbers which will remain in history, too bad we did not get the three points, but it's OK to have highs and lows. We have reached the fourth place, even though we have played a game more than the rest, but we are certainly in a better situation than a month and a half ago. We are definitely going for that fourth place.

Now we have Arsenal, but we are the defending champions, we might get back some players and the environment in the stadium will undoubtedly be fantastic.

I would like to dedicate this target to my family, particularly to my wife who always followed me in these years and always stood by me."

HISTORY MAN

Following the 1000 official games, a target dedicated to his wife Adriana, Paolo Maldini is ready to fly towards England, where 5 years ago they started calling him Legend...

post-4484-0-1446016269-13275_thumb.jpg

MILAN - It was the English daily newspapers who came up with this word, 'History Man', the symbol of the game. It was the Daily Mirror to name Paolo Maldini like this, following the win in the Champions League of Milan at Manchester against Juventus. Manchester, in 2003, Paolo Maldini captain of Milan. Wembley, in 1963, Cesare Maldini captain of Milan. Things which happen to a few. No actually to no one. Only to him and only here.

Today Paolo Maldini is more gratified. A thousand games touch even a balanced champion like him. The Milan captain has always been respectful in the wins and calibrated in the defeats. No excess in celebrations, no drama. The way of Paolo Maldini has always been more adequate. But in front of 1000 official games, even he melted. It couldn't be otherwise. And it's on the back of this new monumental target that tomorrow he will be present at London, leading the Rossoneri against Arsenal.

OFFICIAL GAMES OF PAOLO MALDINI WITH MILAN: 860

DEBUT GAME: Udinese-Milan 1-1, 20th January 1985

OFFICIAL GAMES OF PAOLO MALDINI WITH THE NATIONAL TEAM: 126 (Record)

DEBUT GAME: Yugoslavia-Italy 1-1, 31st March 1988

OFFICIAL GAMES OF PAOLO MALDINI WITH THE UNDER 21: 12

OFFICIAL GAMES OF PAOLO MALDINI WITH THE OLYMPIC NATIONAL TEAM: 1

PAOLO MALDINI'S WINS WITH MILAN:

7 SCUDETTI - 5 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - 1 WORLD CLUB CUP - 2 INTERCONTINENTAL CUPS - 5 EUROPEAN SUPER CUPS - 5 ITALIAN SUPER CUPS - 1 COPPA ITALIA

OTHER IMPORTANT DATES:

7 September 1988: VITOCHIA SOFIA-MILAN 0-2, Paolo Maldini's debut in the Champions Cup

22 March 2003: MILAN-JUVENTUS 2-1, 500th game of Paolo Maldini in Serie A

11 March 2007: INTER-MILAN 2-1, 600th game of Paolo Maldini in Serie A

26 November 2003: AJAX-MILAN 0-1, 100th game of Paolo Maldini in Champions Cup/Champions League

ARSENAL-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Kalac, Fiori, Offredi (30);

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Maldini, Nesta, Kaladze, Simic, Jankulovski, Favalli, Bonera, Oddo;

MIDFIELDERS: Emerson, Gattuso, Seedorf, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Brocchi;

STRIKERS: Kaka, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato.

COURAGE AND PERSONALITY

Ancelotti says 'I respect Wenger and Arsenal. We will need courage, personality, and humility. Like last season in Munich and Manchester.' Maldini considers the English team 'more consistent and stronger than a year ago.'

LONDON - Ahead of Arsenal-Milan, here are the declarations of Carlo Ancelotti and Paolo Maldini during the press conference.

CARLO ANCELOTTI

'Kalac? We will try him out early on tomorrow, in the pre-match warm-up. He told me he's doing better, but let's wait for tomorrow. We decided not to risk anything today in training, he will try tomorrow just before the match at the Emirates stadium. If he shouldn't make it, Fiori will play. I don't make it a problem, it's not something I'm losing any sleep over. I trust Fiori.'

'I have a lot of respect for Arsene Wenger, he built his team very well, buying a lot of young players. We need to have courage, personality, and humility. Courage and personality are crucial to play our game like we will do tomorrow and like we did last year in Munich and Manchester.'

'Lately things have changed in England, the violence has been repressed. There are new stadiums, the spectacle is good. Playing in these big stadiums is exciting, aside from the final result.'

PAOLO MALDINI

'If he plays, Fiori will be ready.'

'Arsenal are a team who have a lot of enthusiasm, this year they are more consistent, it's more difficult to face them this year compared to last year. They are very different to Liverpool, they play the ball on the ground a lot, without long passes. This match has been presented as a match between a young team and a not so young team, but the reality shows that Milan have understood that you can win with the right mix between experienced players and younger ones.'

'Adebayor is an unusual player, he can run a lot but at the same time he's very skilled. Once it was harder to find players like that, today they are more common.'