Bellazon

Paolo Maldini
Thumbnail

Party.in.Paris

ONLY THE BEST

According to Paolo Maldini it’s time for Milan to put their best foot forward, no settling for less than the best as they march through on two fronts

Paolo Maldini was interviewed on last night’s Studio Milan show. He took this opportunity to comment on the record opening day ticket sales, with 26,239 tickets sold for the Milan-Bayern Champions League clash in just the first day: ‘It makes you understand how important this game is in a season like this one. We are not in the fight for the Italian league title, but we can take some satisfaction for ourselves in Europe. The silence of the curva fans section during the derby influenced things negatively. If the fans are there to support us it will be a positive thing.’

Maldini continued by speaking about his condition: ‘The knee that I had operated on last year is doing well, the other one is more or less in the same situation as the one that was operated on. I started the week well, working with the team despite the problems that presented themselves after the derby. We’ll see how it goes. I also went to see doctor Martens. As for whether or not I will have another operation that depends on the swelling. If it continues as it did last year, then it will be practically impossible to go ahead. In any case, this year has been richer and more intense as far as the games go and the minutes played compared to last year.

Milan’s primary objective for the season, other than first place, is the Champions League and Maldini commented on this: ‘Bayern are the same tough opponent as always, physically strong. However, I know the side well and I think that they are absolutely beatable as long as Milan are focused and in good form. As far as the focus goes there are no problems. As for our strength, we have recovered some important pieces and, in a game like this, you gather all the strength that you have. I am optimistic about the Champions League.’

Paolo then turned to the Azzurri and coach Roberto Donadoni, one of his former team-mates: ‘I saw Scotland play and Georgia didn’t deserve to lose. I don’t think that Italy will have any big problems. Certainly, the round is now more complicated and it’s difficult to recover. Other than that, there aren’t any other problems of rapport or otherwise. It is normal that a coach like Carlo Ancelotti could aspire to one day become the national coach, but this isn’t about Donadoni. Now, Donadoni is adapting to the high level of pressure that is put upon a national coach.’

There are two important games ahead of Milan, Roma and Bayern Munich: ‘I hope to be available for Roma, but Martens told me to forget about playing two games back to back. I would like to be on the bench against Roma anyway. Bayern Munich changed coaches, but they haven’t changed much else. On the other hand, Milan played a great season last year and perhaps we were superior last year. However, in this moment of the season Milan must show what they can do and we can’t be satisfied yet. We must do even more than what we have done up until now. In regards to fourth place, it is closer than it was at the beginning of the season. We are a few points away from Palermo. It is difficult because Lazio are fighting and Empoli isn’t giving up. However the team’s minimum objective is to arrive in fourth place, taking into consideration the point penalty and the hurried pre-season preparation.’

Then a word about the market: ‘We are hoping to sign Ronaldinho because playing with a champion is easier and it’s fun. I said the same thing about Ronaldo. I liked him a lot. He is a champion and was different from the players that we already had. We must not forget that he is coming from six months of being almost inactive. However, now he is training really well. He could be the turning point in our arrival in fourth place, while in the Champions League it’s up to us.’

The captain then spoke about another new signing from January, Leandro Grimi: ‘He comes from a completely different reality. He is adapting but it isn’t easy at the physical, tactical and competitive level. I can understand how difficult it is for him, seeing that we have twelve amazing defenders on the roster. However, he has decided to remain here. I think that he has learned a lot and next year he will have his cards to play.’

ROMA - MILAN

GOALKEEPRS: Dida, Storari, Fiori.

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Favalli, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic.

MIDFIELDERS: Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf.

STRIKERS: Borriello, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo.

NESTA AND MALDINI SET FOR ROME

Milan went through their final training session before departing for Rome and both Alessandro Nesta and Paolo Maldini were called up as the squad left for the capital at 5pm CET

Milan went through their final training session ahead of leaving for Rome. The players gathered at 11am CET for a start 30 minutes later on the pitch beside the gym. After a team talk from Carlo Ancelotti, the players then went through a warm-up drill for 10 minutes before doing some sprints.

The coach then distributed the bibs for a drill on ball possesion, tactics and a game. It gave the coaching staff to assess the condition of individual players in general.

Alessandro Nesta and Paolo Maldini were both named in the squad for the trip to the capital along with five attackers, Gilardino, Ronaldo, Inzaghi, Ricardo Oliveira and Borriello. Ambrosini, Jankulovski, Costacurta, Kalac, Serginho, Grimi and Kaladze will not make the trip. As a precaution, Ambro was also left behind as he is suffering from muscle fatique from international duty while Jankulovski is tired from playing two full international games. Serginho has also paid for his week's training while Kaladze will also remain to continue training.

MILAN-BAYERN

KEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Storari;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Kaladze, Jankulovski, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic;

MIDFILDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi

Maldini expects Bayern repeat

Paolo Maldini is confident that Milan can mirror last season’s crushing Champions League defeat of Bayern Munich.

The two sides square off against each other at the San Siro on Tuesday, a year after the Rossoneri collected a 4-1 home victory in the same competition.

“Bayern are more or less the same side as they were last year and so are we,” he stated on Monday.

“Last season we were doing well in the League at the time and the same goes for this year with the exception of the derby loss to Inter.

“Because of this, I am expecting a game similar to the one from last March. Playing the first leg at home isn’t an advantage, but it isn’t something to worry about either.

“We still have the same spirit from the days of our Manchester triumph because that is who we are. The spirit of this club remains, even when the players change.”

Although confident in the ability of his Rossoneri companions, the veteran stopper is full of respect for the Bundesliga giants and one man in particular.

“Bayern have a typically German look,” he noted. “They are a side who never give up, are physically good and tough.

“They have lost a bit of quality in respect to last year, but they are still very strong.

“Roy Makaay is their most eye-catching player. He is in excellent shape and has already scored against us while with Deportivo.

“I would say that he is the player to watch and follow with great attention.”

Although well out of the Scudetto race, Maldini has repeated the thoughts of Vice-President Adriano Galliani when it comes to what Milan’s main target is every season.

“The Champions League has been our primary objective for many years now and we have done continuously well in this competition,” he added.

“We could have done better domestically, but at the end of the day we are close to our minimum goal for the season which is fourth place in Serie A.

“However, a normal season could be transformed into an extraordinary one thanks to the Champions League dream.”

Maldini has been named in the squad and he’s ready for action after shaking off a knee complaint which he picked up in the 2-1 loss to Inter.

“I am doing well,” he outlined. “It’s already been 10 days now that I’ve been training with the team. I am ready to play for 90 minutes with maximum effort and fighting spirit.

“Every Champions League game is a new adventure. Appearing in these games is absolutely the top for a player.”

BAYERN - MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Storari

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Costacurta, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho Simic,

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf

STRIKERS: Inzaghi, Oliveira

Maldini not worried about possible European swansong

Tue 10 Apr

MUNICH (Reuters) - Milan captain Paolo Maldini believes Wednesday's quarter-final second leg against Bayern Munich could be his final Champions League appearance but he said it was not weighing on his mind.

"I have been giving my all for 20 years so I am not worried about the fact that tomorrow could be my last match if we are knocked out," the 38-year-old defender told a news conference on Tuesday before what will be his 103rd match in Europe's top club competition.

"I am used to being positive and I am not thinking about it."

Bayern held Milan 2-2 in Italy in the first leg last week.

Maldini made his 100th Champions League appearance against Celtic in Glasgow in February, joining the likes of Raul, Roberto Carlos and David Beckham of Real Madrid and Bayern's Oliver Kahn in reaching the century mark.

He was in the Milan side which beat Bayern Munich in the semi-final of the 1989/90 European Cup and has played a record 165 times in all UEFA competitions.

"I can't remember much about 1990 to be honest," he said.

Maldini has played 599 times for Milan in Serie A, having made his debut in January 1985. He represented Italy 126 times from March 1988.

He will be suspended for the first leg of the semi-final if he is booked on Wednesday in a Milan victory.