Bellazon

Supergirl

Michael*

• 4 weeks later...

I don't trust the CW at all but I'm starting to get really excited for the upcoming season. :chicken: They've added Dichen Lachman as Roulette, and casted Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor, Floriana Lima as Mags, and Chris Wood as Mon-El. They also have added Ms Martian as an upcoming character. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're only two episodes in on this side of the pond, but once again I've been really impressed by what I've seen so far. It's easily the best superhero stuff on TV at the moment.

Tyler Hoechlin's Superman is great fun and comes across as immensely likeable, especially when you compare him to the version Zack Snyder presented in the movies. It's a pity that Calista Flockhart is probably only going to be a recurring character this year because Cat Grant is always a highlight, but I like the addition of Ian Gomez and I'm quite enjoying the new dynamic of Winn working for the DEO.

Also, how much fun is it to say 'J'onn J'onzz?' :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @slipman59 :heythere:

On 9/16/2016 at 8:39 PM, toodarnhot said:

They've added Dichen Lachman as Roulette, and casted Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor, Floriana Lima as Mags, and Chris Wood as Mon-El. They also have added Ms Martian as an upcoming character. 

As a longstanding Katie McGrath fan, I'm really enjoying Lena Luthor so far. Not sure if you ever watched it, but her relationship with Kara is starting to remind me a lot of Lex and Clark's on Smallville.

Loved seeing Dichen turn up as Roulette too, I doubt that we've seen the last of her after being sprung from the nick. I wonder who the friend who helped get her out is going to be? :hehe:

On 9/17/2016 at 2:13 AM, CandleVixen said:

I also like the casting of Linda Carter as the President of the US. 

Not sure how long it's been since Lynda Carter last acted, but the few lines she did have, she really seemed to be chewing out. I suppose as long as she only makes the occasional appearance, there'll be no real harm done. :/

On 11/17/2016 at 4:47 PM, toodarnhot said:

Could never get into Smallville, despite one of my friends urging me to watch it countless times. I'm loving Katie as Lena though. I'm really interested to see what they'll do with the character. Dichen was great too. I'm such a fan of hers. Floriana as Maggie has totally stolen my heart. She's fantastic imo. Miss Martian isn't really vibing with me though. :/ Dunno if it's the actress or just the character but I find her hard to relate to, and therefore hard to care about, at least at this point in the story.

Reveal hidden contents

Smallville was one of those things that always strung you along with promises of getting good soon, but it promised a lot more than it ever delivered. I think in retrospect, it was mainly Michael Rosenbaum's performances as Luthor that elevated an otherwise fairly mediocre show. :mellow:

J'onn just chancing upon the only other surviving Martian at the alien hangout was a bit of an eye-roller, and the reveal seemed a little rushed. I like the dynamic of Mon-El and M'gann dealing with their survivor's guilt in different ways, though.

A slow burning arc with Alex and Maggie could be really good, too. Hopefully, if they do take it down the romantic route, the relationship is given time to develop. I'd rather that than it just being a passing thing or a new friendship for Alex, who already has Kara for that. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Alex has been phenomenal this season. A storyline that could have easily been misjudged has been handled very well and done with real class. Not crazy about the Guardian stuff so far, though. The partnership with Winn is quite good fun, but I'm not sure I'm really buying Olsen's motivation to become a vigilante.

Alex's scenes have had me either on the verge of tears or actually crying the last handful of episodes. #relatable 

I think they were at a loss with what to do with James after (very abruptly) cutting off his arc with Kara, and kind of grasped for straws with the Gaurdian arc. :/ I'm still not really happy with how that subplot was handled. Literally all of season 1 was spent building up James and Kara's relationship, and then an episode or two into season 2 it's done, and none of those feelings are brought up again. It was just messy. I'm not even that interested in them as a couple but it was lazy writing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree, it felt very realistic. I'm pretty sure most people have been that rejected person at one point or another, irrespective of sexuality.

I also like that Mon-El hasn't just seamlessly transitioned into hero mode, it was a nice twist that him finally trying to do some good saw him fall into the hands of Cadmus.

They probably shouldn't have promoted that last episode as part one of a massive crossover when Barry and Cisco were only in it for a few seconds, people who were watching just for that must not have had any idea what was going on. Still, it's always nice when shows do little things right. Case in point, Barry introduces Cisco as his friend, but because he's still angry with Barry about the Flashpoint reveal, he doesn't let it slide and reclassifies himself as a colleague. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

There's a new press release on the musical episode. :D I think this episode will be super campy, but I'm really looking forward to it. I think it'll be a fun episode.  Jeremy and Melissa are wonderful singers. Little sad that Chyler won't be singing. She did really well when Grey's Anatomy had a musical episode. 

We have an airdate for the musical episodes of The CW’s “The Flash” and “Supergirl”: The tuneful crossover will begin at the end of the Mar. 20 episode of “Supergirl,” but the main vocal action will take place in the Mar. 21 episode of “The Flash.”

That episode, entitled “Duet,” will be directed by Dermott Downs and will feature singing performances from Grant Gustin, Melissa Benoist, Jesse L. Martin, Victor Garber, Carlos Valdes, Jeremy Jordan, and John Barrowman. David Harewood and Chris Wood will have non-singing guest appearances in the episode.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, toodarnhot said:

There's a new press release on the musical episode. :D I think this episode will be super campy, but I'm really looking forward to it. I think it'll be a fun episode.  Jeremy and Melissa are wonderful singers. Little sad that Chyler won't be singing. She did really well when Grey's Anatomy had a musical episode. 

Musicals just really aren't my cup of tea in any way, shape or form, but it's a Supergirl-Flash crossover and I still fondly recall the ice cream moment on a virtual daily basis, therefore I'm willing to give this a shot. :laugh:

I'm glad David Harewood is going to be in it, too. You just know he’ll have the best reactions to everyone else suddenly bursting into song. :rofl:

• 3 months later...

News is out this week that Floriana Lima will be reduced to a recurring role for season 3. Apparently this was her choice, and she didn't want to make the time commitment, and signed on originally believing it would be a one season deal. 

The announcement pretty much spoils the proposal cliff hanger in the finale.

:rofl: 

Katie McGrath has been bumped to series regular for season three. (Hurrah! Love Katie and love Lena. :chicken:) And despite Man-Hell Mon-El's apparent departure in the finale, there are rumours that Chris Wood is still signed on as a series regular, as he was mentioned in the season 3 synopsis by The CW. Cat Grant/Callista Flockhart was also mentioned, so I hope that means more of her in the upcoming season. 

On 5/28/2017 at 7:32 AM, toodarnhot said:

News is out this week that Floriana Lima will be reduced to a recurring role for season 3. Apparently this was her choice, and she didn't want to make the time commitment, and signed on originally believing it would be a one season deal. 

Considerable bummer that Floriana won't be a regular any more. I think the writers will be reluctant to have Maggie outright refuse the proposal though, because if Alex asks you to marry her, you accept, surely. Doubly so if you're standing on a balcony above a sheer drop at the time. :rofl:

With that in mind, I would perhaps expect Maggie to say yes, and then some kind of twist or subplot that for some reason means they can't be together to kick in afterwards. :sad:

On 5/28/2017 at 7:32 AM, toodarnhot said:

Katie McGrath has been bumped to series regular for season three. (Hurrah! Love Katie and love Lena. :chicken:) And despite Man-Hell Mon-El's apparent departure in the finale, there are rumours that Chris Wood is still signed on as a series regular, as he was mentioned in the season 3 synopsis by The CW. Cat Grant/Callista Flockhart was also mentioned, so I hope that means more of her in the upcoming season. 

Other than occasionally forgetting her American accent, Katie can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes. She's very naturally enigmatic, which I always think lends itself well to the kind of role she's playing as Lena. :yes:

Broadly speaking, I thought S2 was interestingly done and very tightly plotted as a whole. Few things happened or were brought into the show as one-offs and there was little in the way of filler, although I suspect a couple of things might have been added late in the day after the episode count was confirmed at 22 instead of the usual 20.

Here's the slightly odd Supergirl-themed Wonder Woman promo that aired during last week's season finale. All in good fun I guess, although it's a little sad for this to be the closest thing we'll likely ever get to a crossover between DC's movie and TV universes. :/