Bellazon

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

jj3

13 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

How many are you getting TFA blu-ray tomorrow? I know the digital version came out on April 1st, but it doesn't have the extras the blu-ray has though.

Mine will be here tomorrow via Amazon. :bananallama:

For some reason, we Brits are being made to wait until the middle of April. I'm secretly hoping that there might still be time for another random showing of it at my nearest cinema, but I'll be picking the DVD up at some point too. :yes:

3 hours ago, Michael* said:

For some reason, we Brits are being made to wait until the middle of April. I'm secretly hoping that there might still be time for another random showing of it at my nearest cinema, but I'll be picking the DVD up at some point too. :yes:

It's still playing in theatres in my city. :rofl: They're getting as much money as they can from it.

5 hours ago, Michael* said:

That sucks for you! :baronlamesign:

Just because she's white and got brown hair... it doesn't mean she's my mom. :laugh:

Exclusive: Daisy Ridley On Rey’s Parents, ‘Darker’ Episode VIII, And Whether She’s Really A Jedi

by Crystal Bell 12h ago

When the trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story dropped earlier this week, it inspired a slew of new fan theories, but the one that’s garnered the most attention is the connection between Felicity Jones’s Jyn Erso and Daisy Ridley’s Rey. Does the key to Rey’s parentage lie in rebel fighter Jyn? Or are they just two strong women who coincidentally share the same color hair?

According to Ridley, rumors of Jyn and Rey’s familial connection have been greatly exaggerated. “I’m not being funny you guys, but just because she’s white and got brown hair… it doesn’t mean she’s my mom,” Ridley told MTV’s Josh Horowitz backstage at the MTV Movie Awards.

And besides, Ridley already knows who Rey’s parents are — and she doesn’t think it’s that big of a deal. “I think the amazing thing about [Episode VII] is that Finn and Rey don’t come from anywhere, and they find a place,” Ridley, who’s currently filming Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII, said. “So to me, it’s funny that people think it’s so important because I don’t really think it is.”

It’s unclear if Episode VIII will delve into Rey’s backstory, but we do know the film will pick up right where The Force Awakens left off: with Rey handing over Luke’s lightsaber to the fallen Jedi on that island on Ahch-To. Ridley describes the film as “darker” than Episode VII, and when asked about Rey’s future as a Jedi, she gave this very intriguing response: “I don’t know if I am a Jedi… I don’t think I am.”

“We’ve had this debate as to whether Leia is because she uses her Force powers,” she continued. “Just because she’s not like, oh I’m going on an adventure like Luke doesn’t make her any less Forceful.”

It’s official: 2017 has never seemed further away.

video interview in the link

http://www.mtv.com/news/video/2865182/daisy-ridley-star-wars-episode-8-darker/

Star Wars: J.J. Abrams clarifies comments on Rey’s parents

Posted April 15 2016 — 9:42 PM EDT

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

EARLIER: J.J. Abrams and Chris Rock sat down for a lively discussion Friday night at the Tribeca Film Festival that touched on everything from television to moviemaking — and yes, the galaxy far, far away.

During the audience Q&A portion of the pair’s chat, the first in the festival’s Directors series of talks, a young boy drew cheers from the crowd and an answer (of sorts) from Abrams when he asked the Star Wars: The Force Awakens director who Rey’s parents are.

“Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII,” he told the audience. “So I can’t possibly say in this moment who they are. But I will say it is something that Rey thinks about, too.”

That rules out a number of characters that fans have been speculating about, including theories that Rey could be Luke Skywalker’s daughter or the daughter of General Leia Organa, which would make her related to Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren. Rey’s story picks up again in Rian Johnson’s still-untitled Episode VIII, arriving Dec. 15, 2017.

Why The Force Awakens needed to bridge Star Wars’ past and future

Rock praised Abrams for how he wove Star Wars’ original characters into the new story of The Force Awakens. “In the wrong hands it could have been the corniest s— ever, but you did it so artfully.”

Abrams responded that he wanted the film to “reclaim the specific story that was happening” in Return of the Jedi, and while some have lamented The Force Awakens’ similarities to A New Hope, he says, “we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats so the rest of the story could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars.”

He also said The Force Awakens needed to serve as a bridge from where the Star Wars galaxy left off and where it will go next. “It needed to establish itself as something familiar with a sense of where it’s going to a new land, which is very much what [Episodes] VIII and IX do.”

He got emotional while filming Luke and Rey’s meeting

Rock had high praise for the conclusion of The Force Awakens — saying that if they handed out Oscars for Best Ending, it could win — and Abrams spoke a bit about what it was like filming with Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley.

“Getting to Luke was the whole story,” he said, adding that Hamill was initially “a little resistant” to his character’s presence (or lack thereof) in the film and wondered if the big reveal at the end would seem like a joke. 

Between shots on that final scene, filmed with a very small crew that had to ascend those many, many steps climbed by Rey in the film, Abrams told Rock realized something:

Hamill was the same age that Alec Guinness was when he played Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The director pulled up the binary sunset scene from A New Hope on his phone as he looked at Hamill wearing those robes. “I literally started to tear up,” Abrams said.

What with old JJ swearing up and down that Khan wasn't in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' a few years ago, I'd probably have judged the initial quote about Rey's origins with a sizeable grain of salt, with or without the clarification. :laugh:

As the old saying goes (and I'm sure Abrams must have heard this before), the more you tighten your grip, the more star systems slip through your fingers. ;)

I suppose to be fair, the really silly thing about the Khan twist was that it meant so little to the actual storyline. At least when the the time comes for Rey's big reveal, it'll be a self-contained thing that has real influence on her character arc.

The last movie I saw.

The script is messy, play it safe, with 0% fantasy, copying Episode IV.

The new protagonists' characters are disbelieving. The character of Rey was in the rough, unfinished, so her flying and lightsaber skills are totally inconsequent. Finn fighting with lightsaber was touching the bottom, a serious wtf.

The bad guy was utterly cringe-worthy.

The representation of the Leia - Han relation was pretty weak.

The visuals were decent tho.

For me it's a "see once then forget about it" movie. I had no expectations, so can't say it was a disappointment.

FWIW, Daisy is much nicer than Keira. And, unlike Keira, Daisy is talented.

And as a side note, I don't get how can one see Keira as "aristocratic". Playing in historical movies does not imply being "aristocratic". She seems quite the opposite to me. :ninja:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Just so we don't forget how disingenuous Kathleen Kennedy and her team are. Let's just keep in mind who these terrible people are and what they do. Those people who fired Gina Carano for no valid reason (without telling it to her face). :/

‘Star Wars’ China Poster Sparks Controversy After Shrinking John Boyega’s Character

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-china-poster-controversy-john-boyega-1201653494/

star-wars-china-poster-controversy.jpg

Such an abhorrent thing to do. And they never apologized.