Bellazon

Books you are reading

KingSupra

The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks

Well I finished this. A very fast-paced sci-fi thriller. I was a bit disappointed to discover at the end that this is the first part of a trilogy so it was a cliffhanger ending rather than a payoff. It's not badly written for what it is but I'm not sure whether I will invest in the sequel. Too much of this book was like a setup for the main show and all the way through I thought that the author really just wants to make a movie out of it.

It's probably good to take on a flight or a train journey though. I think people who like the pace of Da Vinci Code and the ideas and style of The Matrix will enjoy it.

I need something to work my brain a bit more now so I've started on Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky.

Always Running La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A.-Luis Rodriguez

Drink Cultura-Jose Antonio Burciaga

Fever Pitch-Nick Hornby

The Smiles of Rome-ed. Susan Cahill

The Fencing Master-Aurturo Perez-Reverte

I should really learn to stick to reading one book at a time but its hard.

right now....

Jane Somerset - Elizabeth I (history)

recently finished....

Poul Anderson - Trader to the Stars, and The Long Night (science-fiction books)

Clifford Simak - Way Station (sf)

Thomas B Costain - The Three Edwards (history)

coming up later....

William Gibson - Count Zero (sf)

CJ Cherryh - Deliverer (sf)

Kazu Kibuishi (editor) - Flight volume 3 (comics anthology http://flightcomics.com/ )

Excerpt: Roger Zelazny. Lord of Light. New York: Avon Books, 1967. P. 216-217.:

They came. Out of the sky, riding on the polar winds, across the seas and the land, over the burning snow, and under it and through it, they came. The shape-shifters drifted across the fields of white, and the sky-walkers fell down like leaves; trumpets sounded over the wastes, and the chariots of the snows thundered forward, light leaping like spears from their burnished sides; cloaks of fur afire, white plumes of massively breathed air trailing above and behind them, golden-gauntleted and sun-eyed, clanking and skidding, rushing and whirling they came, in bright baldric, wer-mask, fire-scarf, devil-shoe, frost-greaves, and power-helm, they came; and across the world that lay at their back, there was rejoicing in the Temples, with much singing and the making of offerings, and processions and prayers, sacrifices and dispensations, pageantry and color. For the much-feared goddess Kali was to be wed with Death known as Yama, and it was hoped that this would serve to soften both their dispositions. A festive spirit had also infected Heaven, and with the gathering of the gods and the demigods, the heroes and the nobles, the high priests and the favored rajahs and high-ranking Brahmins, this spirit obtained force and momentum and spun like an all-colored whirlwind, thundering in the heads of the First and latest alike.

So they came into the Celestial City, riding on the backs of the cousins of the Garuda Bird, spinning down in sky gondolas, rising up through arteries of the mountains, blazing across the snow-soaked, ice-tracked wastes, to make Milehigh Spire to ring with their song, to laugh through a spell of brief and inexplicable darkness that descended and dispersed again, shortly; and in the days and nights of their coming, it was said by the poet Adasay that they resembled at least six different things (he was always lavish with his similes): a migration of birds, bright birds, across a waveless ocean of milk; a procession of musical notes through the mind of a slightly mad composer; a school of those deep-swimming fish whose bodies are whorls and runnels of light, circling about some phosphorescent plant within a cold and sea-deep pit; the Spiral Nebula, suddenly collapsing upon its center; a storm, each drop of which becomes a feather, songbird or jewel; and (and perhaps most cogent) a Temple full of terrible and highly decorated statues, suddenly animated and singing, suddenly rushing forth across the world, bright banners playing in the wind, shaking palaces and toppling towers, to meet at the center of everything, to kindle an enormous fire and dance about it, with the ever-present possibility of either the fire or the dance going completely out of control.

:wub:

The Abortionist's Daughter

A great book by Elisabeth Hyde.

About a 19 year old university student Megan, who is beautiful, cool, sexy - the kind of girl boys fall in love with. She's mostly steered clear of family life since the death of her younger brother. That is until the day she hears her mother, Diana, an abortionist, has been found floating face down in their swimming pool. The book brings up certain issues of morality concerning abortion.. Several people have quarrelled with Diana on that day, including her husband of 20 years Frank, and her daughter Megan. Now father and daughter are thrown together in an unexpected twist of family life.

I just finished Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. Terrible. NEVER AGAIN.

And i'm reading "Ela e Outras Mulheres" by Rubem Fonseca. :heart:

Ahaha what's it about?! :D

:p What ? Rubem's book ? Oh, it's a book of tales about woman. It's really a great book. It's about how women can be dangerous and powerfull too!