Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Brandiexoxo

Where Did You Get Those Wings?: Five Questions for Victoria's Secret Feather Designer Serkan Cura

Serkan Cura, the Belgian-born, Antwerp-educated, Jean Paul Gaultier–schooled feather designer responsible for much of the splendor to be seen tonight during the Victoria’s Secret runway show (what are angels without feathers, after all?) tells us all about falling for feathers and landing the biggest job of his career.

How did you get the job?

I went to a meeting with [stylist] Sophia Neophitou, and at first, I didn’t totally understand what she was saying. I thought she was just asking me about how I made things, but then I started to realize she actually wanted me to create something for the show. After the meeting, I left the hotel and immediately called my boyfriend and said, “I’m not entirely sure what just happened, but I think Victoria’s Secret wants me to make costumes for their show.” I was standing there on the street in shock.

How did you get interested in feather work?

When I was 13 years old, I went to a flea market near my school almost every day and I saw this amazing bird of paradise. I bought it, and that was it. Years later, the last remaining feather store in Paris, Maison Février, was closing, so I borrowed money from my mother, sold all my jewelry and my apartment, and I bought every single feather they had, the whole inventory. When I finally went through it all, I discovered it included a jacket with swan feathers that had been worn by Marlene Dietrich and a pink egret hat worn by Josephine Baker. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I took it. So now I have enough feathers for 100 years. I don’t have anything else—just my feathers and my boyfriend—but it was worth it.

What is your favorite look in tonight’s show?

There is a white goose-feather look on Candice [swanepoel], and when they slipped it on her, I got chicken skin. I have never seen a girl like that—the small waist, the hips—it fit her perfectly. Then when she was done with all the hair and makeup, she truly looked like an angel to me.

So you weren’t intimidated by all the beautiful models backstage?

I have never met girls like this before. Not only are they so incredibly beautiful, but they are all so nice. You don’t meet girls like that in Paris. I told everyone if they ever have a job for me in New York, I would come in an instant. The people are wonderful, the atmosphere is wonderful—it truly feels like a place where anything is possible.

With the show airing tonight, what are your plans?

I am sitting in front of my computer right now. I’m in Paris and I am trying to find it on TV or on YouTube. I have called and e-mailed all of my friends saying, “I know it’s late, but please, please, please stay up to watch the Victoria’s Secret show!”

vogue.com

post-2904-0-1446071232-70214_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446071232-7143_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446071232-78465_thumb.jpg post-2904-0-1446071232-89048_thumb.jpg

So I finally watched the show, if I had to sum it up in one word, it was rather boring. It's not even that the models were bad or the outfits, honestly, I found them overall good this year, with the exception of the Pink segment, but I don't know, the ambiance felt a bit unexciting. It was like a concert with nameless girls walking around in lingerie. Even the little sequences between the segments were dull. The "Shipwrecked" sequence was kinda funny but other than that ? :sleep:

Alright, we're sorry for Lais and her accident at last year's rehersal, but we already knew about it. And do we need th hear for the billionth time that VS is a great career boost for the models who do the show ? I wasn't interested in the social media thing at all, especially if it's just a pretext to see Cara doing her "funny faces" and the Paris city of lights thing, yeah, we know, Paris is a beautiful city.

Overall I'll give it 5/10 because the outfits were good but not more because the TV show in itself was dull.

Another thing, I don't feel like this year's was concert-y at all. It was 80% all about the models. Even Lais, Barbara and Cara got segments. And the show was Behati and Adriana overload. Safe for the last segment (too much Taylor) I think they showcased the models more than enough/expected.

I finally got the chance to watch the show, and here are my thoughts:

British Invasion: I love Candice and her body was amazing in that outfit (minus the gloves), but her opening was just boring (although better than in 2011)... She looked petrified before going on the runway (her hand shaking while she is trying to meditate...or whatever that was-I wish they didn't show that because it just added to the feeling of her being incredibly nervous). It didn't seem like she was having any fun...she was just scared...and you could feel it. I didn't really like any of the outfits in this section, and I hated the music! British have some of the best bands and music in general and they bring Taylor and FOB...Horrible choice!

Shipwrecked: Doutzen is stunning, and I liked her outfit, and then most of the other costumes just blend in... Nothing stands out. Boring music.

Parisian Nights: Adriana's opening was just amazing! :heart:  Epic! She looked incredible in that red lingerie. I know this was said before but this section should of opened the show. The music was great and all the outfits were good. Loved Doutzen, Lais, Ale and Kelly. Isabel hair flip was ridiculous and Erin obviously hated being there (I'm glad she is out, I never liked her and the way she somehow drags her legs, and then hits the ground while walking...like her legs are made of steel...).

Birds Of Paradise: This section was ok. I kind of liked the music. Outfits were nice. Actual lingerie, witch is great for once. My favourites in this part were: Ale, Lindsay and Joan.

Pink: Fun music, atrocious costumes. :x  I adore Jac, and her walk is amazing but she did have the absolute worst outfit...

Snow Angels: This was my favourite section! :) Behati did an excellent job opening. All my favourite angels Adriana, Candice and Doutzen looked beautiful! :wub:  Loved that is was all white, and fake snow. It had a festive feel to it... except Taylor's song, but I didn't hate it. ;)

The segments in between were boring... We already heard how they felt when they walked there first VS show, I don't care about Barbara F. or Lais, and we already seen Adriana boxing (but she did looks stunning in that segment  :D ), and that social media part was just stupid... and yes Candice, everybody can google your ass, but even then, you'll still have none...! :cain:

Also I feel they always put the wrong girls together to talk. They just don't have any chemistry between them...

I'll give it 6/10.

My Top Picks from each Segment! (as far as outfits)

British Invasion:

Lily Donaldson - looked amazing in her waistcoat and top hat! and it was even better because she was british!

Karlie Kloss - loved the psychedelic wings and outfit - so many amazing colours.

Adriana Lima - seeing that outfit that was one of the original sketches on her was PERFECT! loved the wings and her walk!

Lily Aldridge - loved the punk rocker wings! so much detail and different fabrics and materials, all worked well together :) 

Shipwrecked:

Lily Aldridge - her flowing gown was beautiful, and the lingerie went perfectly with it.

Martha Hunt - Loved the piece she was wearing, it almost looked like water was beading down her.

Constance Jablonski - Her wings were so Stunning! a work of art! 

Parisian Nights:

Adriana Lima - the red suited her PERFECTLY and those wings were so different and creative the way the connect to her hands.

Joan Smalls - the Green beaded fabric that cascaded down to the floor was so beautiful!

Erin Heatherton - loved the beads coming down from her gloves, the Blue shoes made it pop!

Birds of Paradise:

Lais Ribeiro - very cool wings/jacket thing, loved the colours.

Magdalena Frackowiak - Loved everything she gets put in! The corset and tail feathers were so vibrant!

Jacquelyn Jablonski - The colours she wore went so well together, the neck piece wings were so creative!

Joan Smalls - very simple wings and lingerie but it looked so extravagant!

Pink Network:

Elsa Hosk - Her Smiley wing definitely stood out to me! and she rocked it!

Sara Sampaio - Her wings stood out aswell, loved all the different emoji icons. her pose was great too!

Ieva Laguna - loved her outfit that came from one of the original sketches! worked well with the heart wings

Snow Angels:

Doutzen Kroes - her little eskimo outfit was simple and elegant, looked so plush and soft!

Lily Donaldson - finally got her angel wings, they were so pretty!

Constance Jablonski - beautiful sharp feathered wings

Magdalena Frackowiak - such a graceful flowing cape, looked amazing! 

Adriana Lima - Her wings were amazing!!!!!!

Karlie Kloss - loved her Swarovski body suit.

Icona Pop for next year's PINK section pls! Songs like I Love It, All Night, Girlfriend are perfect for that section.

Beyonce or Lady Gaga for 1 segment (bad a$$ b!tches theme segment w/ Beyonce or Art-inspired segment w/ Gaga), and a Brazilian carnaval inspired segment with wild samba music!

Art-inspired

Egyptian 

bondage?

In terms of casting, who do you guys think should/shouldn't return next year?

New Faces to Keep for Next Year

Kelly Gale

Cindy Bruna

Jac - upgrade to mainline plz

Sara Sampaio - have her open PINK please!

Josephine - loved her look! She deserves a better outfit. Maybe close PINK next year?

Pass

Caroline BN - bland as hell, did nothing for me

Sigrid Agren - meh.

Martha Hunt - meh.

Maria Borges -  great to see a more dark skinned girl, but her face isn't doing it and she doesn't have that "wow" presence that say Oluchi had

Devon Windsor - didn't stand out

Kasia Struss - great HF walker, but not really suited for VS

Malaika - too young looking, it was slghtly disturbing. Gracie would have been much better

Missed from Previous Years

Shanina Shaik

Shannan Click (gah, I want her back soo bad!)

Frida G

Caroline Winberg - got to admit, after watching The Face UK, I'd love to see her again!

Barbara Palvin - I wanna see more of her on the runway; it was a shame she only got one look last year. I feel like she hasn't been able to show her full potential yet

Btw, Jasmine Tookes should never, ever be in PINK. She's a mainline girl. Her and Maria Borges should have switched outfits.

Jasmine Tookes, Constance Jablonski, Maryna Linchuk, Sara Sampaio, Shanina Shaik, Barbara Fiahlo, Gracie Carvahlo, Cara Delevingne and Elsa Hosk. These are the non Angels I'd like to see again.

Shannan Click too because of her creativity when it comes to posing. Never fails to brighten my day.